Joey563

Falcons looking to move up from 31st spot

103 posts in this topic

http://www.ajc.com/sports/football/falcons-looking-move-from-31st-spot/tuwR6MRvpGo7fqYdtBktpJ/

FLOWERY BRANCH

The Falcons have heavily scouted the pass rushers who’ll be available for the upcoming NFL draft, which is set to be held Thursday through Saturday in Philadelphia.

The Falcons hold the 31st pick and Missouri’s Charles Harris and Tennessee’s Derek Barnett will be long gone.

However, the Falcons believe there will be opportunities to move up into the 20s to land one of the “handful” of players they’ve targeted.

“I think the reality is that there will be opportunities to move up into the 20s, it’s there,” Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said on Thursday. “I say that because there are going to be some interesting opportunities I believe.

“We’ll look at opportunities.”

The Falcons have been aggressive in the past. Dimitroff traded back into the first round in 2008 to land tackle Sam Baker. He moved up 21 spots to select wide receiver Julio Jones in 2011 and he moved up eight spots to select cornerback Desmond Trufant in 2013.

“(Falcons head coach) Dan (Quinn) asked me the other day, have you ever moved back?,” Dimitroff said.

Just once, last year from 50 to 52.

“To move up in the 20s, there will be opportunities there,” Dimitroff said. “There are some interesting candidates that will be around there in the early parts of the 20s.”

I think it's just putting out a feeler for other teams that want to move up or back... Or just to let everyone know that we're open for business.

6 minutes ago, SyCo said:

This discussion is an annual tradition

Yup. D-leds go to article before the draft.

dozer and Falx like this

2 minutes ago, Xfactor said:

Trade with the Dolphins at 22 for Reddick ?

I think ive heard this scenerio or getting Lamp more than any other rumors... I think we stay still but everyone has a good point with when we got Tru.

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Xfactor said:

Trade with the Dolphins at 22 for Reddick ?

Would be okay with a trade up for Reddick. I saw a mock draft last night with Derek Barnett falling to the Cowboys. If he fell into the mid 20s I would be fine with trading up for him as well.

7 minutes ago, Joey563 said:

I think ive heard this scenerio or getting Lamp more than any other rumors... I think we stay still but everyone has a good point with when we got Tru.

If we trade up for Lamp and leave Hasson Reddick on the board I would lose it.

Edited by Drew4719

Posted (edited)

I think its just giving the image of he is willing to listen to offers and if he can spend as little as possible, even to someone looking to trade down, he will consider anything out there if there is a chance to improve this team (which IMO you cant improve in too many areas, as we are stacked at just about all positions) but I truly feel we will be the type to trade down and accrue more picks because with our success we will probably lose a few stars and have to draft replacements next year.  Trading out of the first and collecting an extra 1st next year will help draft a star to replace at other areas needed in future years.

PLUS if you think about it....if we execute our potential be drafting in the 32 next year and we will be able to trade down with that pick as well along with having potentially a high first round to go with it

Edited by federicofalcon2

Stay on target  

14,15,16,---17?

1. Matthews   Beasley  Neal    ???????????

2. Hageman  Collins   D Jones  ???????

3. (Southward)  Coleman  Hooper ???????

4. Freeman  Harvey  Campbell  ??????

I rather do this again than get 1 more Beasley

45 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

It would cost our 2018 1st to move up.  Don't do it!

I doubt it. I think that we would be able to go up from 31 to early 20s for a 3rd personally. Not sure I want to but I don't see TD trading away next year's 1st just to move up to the early 20s. 

BIRDLAND 2.0 likes this

1 hour ago, Nereek said:

Do not move up, move down.

Trader TD never moves down and I don't see why he should when all of his trade ups have worked out.

Trade up? Sounds Reddickulous.

>_>

Really, the dude is Khalil Mack esque. Favorite player in the draft. Couldn't be angry if we landed him somehow, imho he's as close to a sure thing as there is in the draft. 

If we traded up for Lamp or Willis I'd lose it though