Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wartownfalcon

So 5 of our last 6 games are Divisional games...

65 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Drew4719 said:

I understand your confidence in our team, and I think we'll do fine on this schedule. But you can't ever take the other teams in your division lightly.

I don't take them lightly, but we were going to play those games at some point in the season.  And it's not just confidence...we performed demonstrably better against them than other teams last year.

I'd be more concerned if any of those games were replaced with @SEA, @NE, GB, or DAL down the stretch.

athell and Drew4719 like this

8 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Since everyone keeps going back and forth over how "rare" or how "common" this is, here's reality.

All teams end the season on a divisional game.

Only 8 teams end the season with back to back divisonal games

Of those 8 teams, only 3 end the season with 3 back to back divisional games (one of the others is Tampa)

and obviously we're the only one to go 4 straight, and 5 in 6 weeks

So basically, in conclusion, while it is common to have divisonal games more to the end of the season, having them grouped this close together is not common. Take that for what you will.

Yep, just checked every teams schedule, and the only other team with 5 division games in the last 6 weeks is the patriots. Most teams only have 2 or 3 division games in the last 6 weeks with a few having only one. 

SamMills51 likes this

Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, hjerry said:

We host Tampa after their bye

We host the Vikings after their mini bye

Worst of all, we travel to the Seahawks, on Monday night, after their mini bye, so they get 11 days to prepare to host us, as opposed to the regular 10

... and to boot, Bucs will be on 14-days rest due to their BYE after we just traveled all the way out to Seattle for that MNF game.

Edited by middlegatv

3 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

I don't take them lightly, but we were going to play those games at some point in the season.  And it's not just confidence...we performed demonstrably better against them than other teams last year.

I'd be more concerned if any of those games were replaced with @SEA, @NE, GB, or DAL down the stretch.

In 2015, the Panthers were demonstrably better than every NFC South team as well.

Lots can change in one year. 

Every NFC South received an upgrade of some sorts, and we haven't even had the draft yet. The division is anything but a pushover.

Drew4719 and The Peregrine like this

20 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Having the extra time sure didn't help the Falcons when they played the Eagles

LOL. True that.

1 minute ago, SamMills51 said:

In 2015, the Panthers were demonstrably better than every NFC South team as well.

Every NFC South received an upgrade of some sorts, and we haven't even had the draft yet. The division is anything but a pushover.

All the more reason for Manuel and Sarkasian to establish continuity and flow in OTAs and training camp. Niners won a Super Bowl with a 10-6 record. Draft and UDFAs will be really interesting now! 

3 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

There are no guarantees in the NFL for dam sure.

Except for maybe the Browns sucking.

notthatcool likes this

21 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Since everyone keeps going back and forth over how "rare" or how "common" this is, here's reality.

Of those 8 teams, only 3 end the season with 3 back to back divisional games (one of the others is Tampa)

So basically, in conclusion, while it is common to have divisonal games more to the end of the season, having them grouped this close together is not common. Take that for what you will.

The Falcons basically had the same thing in 2015.

4 out of the last 5 games were divisional 

But yeah 5 out of 6 is interesting

3 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

I said I don't take them lightly.

4 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

Yes, I am familiar with how quickly things in the NFL can change.  I am also familiar with how championship contenders can continue to be championship contenders quite often.

4 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

Again, I never said anything to the effect of "pushover".  I expect the Falcons to improve, especially with how they've been drafting, so as of right now, I feel very confident in where we are vs. the division.

SamMills51, Drew4719 and athell like this

7 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

I tell you I wouldn't be totally shocked if Carolina or Tampa took the division though I think the Falcons will take it in the last couple of weeks of the season.

But, the Saints to me are done. They seem to be stuck in place being around 6-8 wins. And will continue to be until the Brees/Payton era comes to end.

Drew4719 likes this

3 minutes ago, middlegatv said:

I tell you I wouldn't be totally shocked if Carolina or Tampa took the division though I think the Falcons will take it in the last couple of weeks of the season.

But, the Saints to me are done. They seem to be stuck in place being around 6-8 wins. And will continue to be until the Brees/Payton era comes to end.

Agree completely. We gotta watch out for the bucs and panthers, but the saints are done. 

Hate the week 5 BYE but you gotta like most of the schedule despite all the late NFCS games.  Here's my reasoning:  FIrst game at Chicago in favorable weather for us.  Not windy and bitter cold.  Week 7 at New England, still not too bad, weather should be okay.  The next week at the Jets, still shouldn't be too bad just one week after the Patriots.  Week 11 at Seattle, a bit later in the season than when we played them last year, looks like a Monday Night game. Shouldn't be too bad.  All other games in decent climates, especially the games vs NFCS.  

Drew4719 likes this

I think they will go either 10-6 or 11-5 with that schedule...  They will start out of the gate 5-0, then lose the next three and rebound...

6 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

I think they will go either 10-6 or 11-5 with that schedule...  They will start out of the gate 5-0, then lose the next three and rebound...

I still don't get where people are seeing that the latter part of the schedule is so much tougher.  They're facing 4 playoff teams in the first six games, and 2 in the last ten games.

Maybe it's because Detroit and Miami weren't good for a while before last year.

athell and Drew4719 like this

Hate the earliest bye. 

Also 5 prime time games? I like prime time games as much as the next guy, but they take their toll physically and emotionally. 

Having said that, we got this ****. 

I read that each NFL team plays four division winners from last year, four 2nd place teams, four 3rd place teams and four last place teams. I thought that was pretty odd, but fair.

SkerFalcon8710 likes this

12 hours ago, hjerry said:

Not entirely true and for the conspiracy crowd...New England also plays 5 out of 6 divisional opponents to close out their season.  This is the way the NFL is going to inject more interest and drama to the final quarter of the season.

The only positives about those last 6 games are that we have a three game home stretch, 4 of 6 are at home, and we have a semi-bye week of 10 days from the time we play NO on Thursday all the way until we travel to TB the following Monday.  It could work in our favor seeing as we have an already early bye...and hopefully we have taken care of business in the division and these games wont mean as much with the exception of seed placement.  I still feel even though we are given a tough schedule this year we could still pull out 13 wins with possible losses against Patriots Saints and Bucs...all away games.  But IMO they are in better shape roster wise than Patriots were last year and they pulled off 14 wins....execution killed our team last year with a few mistakes in games we easily could have gotten to 13 or 14 wins last year with the leagues toughest schedule....i see a repeat this year with Falcons bringing home the rightful trophy this time!

14 hours ago, SamMills51 said:

Difference is, 2015 Panthers feasted on weak competition and a soft schedule.  They were Paper Tigers...or more accurately Paper Panthers...that were exposed in the Superbowl by a team that could actually play defense.

2016 Falcons feasted on strong competition and the hardest schedule in the league.  They are not lead by an overgrown baby more concerned about himself and his attire than his team.

The Panthers have been reliant on a dominant defense that is getting long in the tooth and just not all that imposing anymore and an offense lead by a beat up Quarterback that cannot throw from the pocket.  The Falcons have a prolific offense and an up and coming young and aggressive defense that took remarkable strides forward in the back half of the season.

I'm not saying it is a given the Falcons win the division again this year, but to be honest, I'm looking over my shoulder at the Bucs much more than I am at the Saints or Panthers.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, athell said:

Difference is, 2015 Panthers feasted on weak competition and a soft schedule.  They were Paper Tigers...or more accurately Paper Panthers...that were exposed in the Superbowl by a team that could actually play defense.

2016 Falcons feasted on strong competition and the hardest schedule in the league.  They are not lead by an overgrown baby more concerned about himself and his attire than his team.

The Panthers have been reliant on a dominant defense that is getting long in the tooth and just not all that imposing anymore and an offense lead by a beat up Quarterback that cannot throw from the pocket.  The Falcons have a prolific offense and an up and coming young and aggressive defense that took remarkable strides forward in the back half of the season.

I'm not saying it is a given the Falcons win the division again this year, but to be honest, I'm looking over my shoulder at the Bucs much more than I am at the Saints or Panthers.

Panthers had the hardest playoff schedule by far, going against arguably the top 2 NFC teams, and demolishing them.

The Panthers still went 15-1 with that soft schedule, and blew out the competition for the most part. To say the 2015 Panthers weren't ever good is completely asinine.

This year, the Panthers have a 2013 level defense on paper. The draft hasn't happened, but theoretically a RB and TE brings us to our 2011 offense. We could be fielding our best and most balanced team next year.

Edited by SamMills51

6 hours ago, Birdy Dird said:

I read that each NFL team plays four division winners from last year, four 2nd place teams, four 3rd place teams and four last place teams. I thought that was pretty odd, but fair.

The basic rule of thumb is that every team plays 6 division games.  Then they play 2 other divisions that have already been set years in advance.  In our case, it's NFC North and AFC East.  And then based on last years' results they play equivalent finishers from other divisions.  In our case NFC West and NFC East.  Hence the addition of Seattle and Dallas.  So yes, we play 4 division winners (Dallas, Seattle, Green Bay, and New England).  4 2nd place teams... whoever came out 2nd in NFC North, 2nd in AFC East, and 2nd in NFC South (2x)... and so on and so on...

Birdy Dird likes this