theProf

WOW! Drafttek's latest 7-round mock draft has Atlanta selecting:

54 posts in this topic

1. Forrest Lamp  Western Kentucky    OG

As one of the few ESPN writers who spends his time studying football, instead of tending his hair, Bill Barnwell notes that the only real hole on the Falcons' roster is at Guard. Despite a few half-hearted lunges at filling the spot in Free Agency, the hole still remains. While they have brought in oft-injured Hugh Thornton to compete with UDFA Ben Garland and 6th round pick, Wes Schweitzer, the hole still remains. In fact, that remaining hole at Right Guard is arguably as big as the one in the offensive coordinator's office. The Falcons have been focused on the position in their pre-draft meetings.

No player has garnered more attention than Forrest Lamp. They met with him at the Senior Bowl; they've talked with him at the Combine; they've held private workouts. At this point, the question is less "would the Falcons pick Lamp at 31" and more "would the Falcons trade up to get Lamp." In this scenario, he falls to 31 and our guess is that the Falcons run to the podium to get him. Last year, Chris Chester gave up 45 pressures on 629 pass blocking attempts. If the Falcons' offense is to function at the same high level, they will need to keep Matt Ryan's pocket clean and upgrading RG is the best way to do that. Obviously, improving the pass rush arsenal is a need, too, but Lamp has been target for a long time in Flowery Branch.

 

2. Tanoh Kpassagnon    Villanova    DL5T  (My note: Drafttek has Rivers, Willis, Basham, and Bowser going within 7 picks before this pick)

With the hole at Guard filled, the Falcons will need to address the edges of their DL. When your team has 34 sacks and one player gets 15.5 of them, that's more than a little unbalanced. Vic Beasley will need help, even with the growth of Grady Jarrett and the return of Adrian Clayborn and Derrick Shelby. However, that returning talent could allow the Falcons to gamble on a high-upside talent that needs time to develop, and no one fits that better than Kpassagnon. He has unbelievable length, height, and explosive power, but Kpassagnon is definitely raw. Still, Quinn really seems intrigued by him and he would be worth taking a risk on, with most of the pass rushers off the board. In a perfect world, a LEO rusher like Derek Rivers or TJ Watt would fall this far, but alas, this is not a perfect world. Kpassagnon makes a nice compensation pick.

 

3. Justin Evans    Texas A&M    S

 

4. Trey Hendrickson    Florida Atlantic    EDGE

 

5. Michael Roberts    Toledo    TE  

 

7. Freddie Stevenson    Florida St    FB

 

http://www.drafttek.com/2017-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1b.asp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not thrilled with some of it, but for a mock draft ...especially considering it came out of something called DRAFTTEK.....it's very logically thought out. Based on how their draft fell, one of the better ones I've seen,  actually.

Drew4719, Tim Mazetti and Falcster like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

Quite optimistic thinking Evans last until the end of the 3rd round. Even with a deep safety class, he probably isn't one who will fall. 

I know. He is my favorite safety in this draft. He won't make it out of the second round if we don't take him in the first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

Quite optimistic thinking Evans last until the end of the 3rd round. Even with a deep safety class, he probably isn't one who will fall. 

Might be a little more realistic if the second and third picks were flipped: Evans in the second TK in the third.

Kung-Pow, Falcster and g-dawg like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Evans is projected in the 3rd and 4th rounds right now

It is being reported that Evans is really moving up the draft boards lately. I even saw an article saying that Atlanta is even considering him as its possible first round selection. Evans is now being compared to Karl Joseph. There is a topic on the front page of the MB just on Justin Evans that is well worth a read, if you haven't already done so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, theProf said:

It is being reported that Evans is really moving up the draft boards lately. I even saw an article saying that Atlanta is even considering him as its possible first round selection. Evans is now being compared to Karl Joseph. There is a topic on the front page of the MB just on Justin Evans that is well worth a read, if you haven't already done so.

I would take him in the first. That 40 means jack. He recovers well.

Sidecar Falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say they were high when they made this, but their drafts are done completely by computers. They plug in prospect rankings and position needs for each team and let it chug away.

That being said, I will be very disappointed if we burn our first on Lamp. Every time I see something saying he's going top 20 makes me happy because I know he won't be a Falcon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Not bad. Heck no to Hendrickson. Just no. I will take everything else. Leave Hendrickson out of this.

I don't know enough about the kid. What parts about his game do you not like? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Knight of God said:

I would take him in the first. That 40 means jack. He recovers well.

Yeah I see a lot of people down on him about his 40. I'm not worried about it since he definitely plays faster than that time. I doubt he makes it past the mid second round. I wouldn't be opposed to trading back and picking up more picks then moving up to grab him. 

Knight of God likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Atlfanstckndenver said:

I don't know enough about the kid. What parts about his game do you not like? 

He sucks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Evans is projected in the 3rd and 4th rounds right now

I know KOG, why all the sudden hype on here about Evans? He's not even a Free Safety?

Knight of God likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm sick of mocks with Tight ends,we are set for now.trenches,safety, another LB and a FULLBACK.No more receivers or running backs either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, theProf said:

Might be a little more realistic if the second and third picks were flipped: Evans in the second TK in the third.

No way. Kpass has a lot less chance of being there in the 3'rd than Evans does.

As for the mock... I actually like it. Hendrickson is a good late round consolation prize as far as edge rushers go. We get a safety, though not one of my favourites. We get a TE, though also not one of my favourites. Don't like Lamp at all but if we have to draft him the rest of it plays out in an acceptable manner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vandy said:

I know KOG, why all the sudden hype on here about Evans? He's not even a Free Safety?

Well Vandy. You know the Cover 3. You can be a full fledged SS and play FS in the Cover 3 as long as you can recover an react well.

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Well Vandy. You know the Cover 3. You can be a full fledged SS and play FS in the Cover 3 as long as you can recover an react well.

I know man, it's why I want Peppers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone will fall through the cracks who is it going to be? It always happens I think it could be Peppers, Cunningham or C. Harris. Who do you think and will this alter our plans if they are still there? I really like OL Isaac Aieuta Utah and Nic Siragura from San Diego State we can get in the 3rd and leave the 1st two picks for others. I hope we stay in SEC  some. DQ has had success in the SEC

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Well Vandy. You know the Cover 3. You can be a full fledged SS and play FS in the Cover 3 as long as you can recover an react well.

Most SS's don't have the range to play centerfield in cover 3 from sideline to sideline. Kam would get eaten alive at FS in cover 3 even tho he can cover fairly well. He's a pure box safety like Neal but can cover. Neal is better in coverage than kan tho. The FS in cover 3 doesn't really cover tho unless it's a blitz.  He's a cleaner.

 

The SS will be in coverage more than the FS when we're in single high safety. He basically just goes where the ball goes. He has to cover space. That's why the weakness of cover 3 is the seams. If you send a wr down one seam and a TE down the other seam the FS is stuck. That's why it's imperative to have linebackers that can get to spots fast and cover if it's man so that stress isn't on the FS. He can take the deeper seam.

 

The double seam hurt us against SD last year because Campbell was coming back early from a high ankle sprain. Killed us in the Philly game too. But once the rooks got it together the seams was on lock for the most part. 

 

That said i like peppers the best out of all the FS prospects. I think he'd play centerfield with the best range and instincts. I like Baker as well and the guy from Florida but Pepp is my fave of the prospects. I think he'd be a monster in our system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Most SS's don't have the range to play centerfield in cover 3 from sideline to sideline. Kam would get eaten alive at FS in cover 3 even tho he can cover fairly well. He's a pure box safety like Neal but can cover. Neal is better in coverage than kan tho. The FS in cover 3 doesn't really cover tho unless it's a blitz.  He's a cleaner.

 

The SS will be in coverage more than the FS when we're in single high safety. He basically just goes where the ball goes. He has to cover space. That's why the weakness of cover 3 is the seams. If you send a wr down one seam and a TE down the other seam the FS is stuck. That's why it's imperative to have linebackers that can get to spots fast and cover if it's man so that stress isn't on the FS. He can take the deeper seam.

 

The double seam hurt us against SD last year because Campbell was coming back early from a high ankle sprain. Killed us in the Philly game too. But once the rooks got it together the seams was on lock for the most part. 

 

That said i like peppers the best out of all the FS prospects. I think he'd play centerfield with the best range and instincts. I like Baker as well and the guy from Florida but Pepp is my fave of the prospects. I think he'd be a monster in our system. 

Great post.

Doubt he's there at 31 fatboi, but if he was, I'd probably pee all over myself !!!!

 

TheFatboi likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now