2017 Special Elections...

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been chasing this story down for about an hour now... There's no name for that thug yet, but with a license plate, we've got identifying info at least...
Apparently it's not a crime to remove signs if they are not "on a resident's property" such as on the public streets... So the only recourse I fathom is Name and Shame.

Can't wait to get this guys name.

1 minute ago, MACK2THEFUTURE said:

I've been chasing this story down for about an hour now... There's no name for that thug yet, but with a license plate, we've got identifying info at least...
Apparently it's not a crime to remove signs if they are not "on a resident's property" such as on the public streets... So the only recourse I fathom is Name and Shame.

Can't wait to get this guys name.

Actually, I don't believe that's correct.  It's theft at the very least...he stole property that belonged to Ossoff's campaign.  I also believe there are special laws about stealing yard signs on public property specifically, but it's been years since I looked at those regulations.

3 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Actually, I don't believe that's correct.  It's theft at the very least...he stole property that belonged to Ossoff's campaign.  I also believe there are special laws about stealing yard signs on public property specifically, but it's been years since I looked at those regulations.

I was going to look at the code (as I've done numerous times for laws about vehicle lights/traffic laws etc) but hoped someone else did it.

What I've heard 2nd hand is that a GA Representative (Scott Holcomb) said it's not illegal unless they were removed from a resident's property. Also that elections laws only cover within 150 ft of a polling place (not clear about this point unless it's saying the scope of "cobb elections" jurisdiction is only near polling places).

I may take a look, but it makes sense to me that in G[OP]eorgia placing campaign signs on "public land" is basically abandoning them (property rights wise). That's speculation but I can see that... the real issue I think is to name who this guy is, but if I saw something like that I would not have just videoed it... I would have gotten out of my car and taken the signs back lol. Glad I wasn't there...

6 minutes ago, MACK2THEFUTURE said:

I was going to look at the code (as I've done numerous times for laws about vehicle lights/traffic laws etc) but hoped someone else did it.

What I've heard 2nd hand is that a GA Representative (Scott Holcomb) said it's not illegal unless they were removed from a resident's property. Also that elections laws only cover within 150 ft of a polling place (not clear about this point unless it's saying the scope of "cobb elections" jurisdiction is only near polling places).

I may take a look, but it makes sense to me that in G[OP]eorgia placing campaign signs on "public land" is basically abandoning them (property rights wise). That's speculation but I can see that... the real issue I think is to name who this guy is, but if I saw something like that I would not have just videoed it... I would have gotten out of my car and taken the signs back lol. Glad I wasn't there...

It should be a simple matter of handing the video over to police and having them investigate the guy.  But I'm almost positive that removing yard signs is considered misdemeanor theft.