MD-FalconFan13

MR2 confirms what we already knew.....SBLI loss on Shanahan

131 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

First off, Ive resigned myself to try to move on. But we came as close as you possibly can to winning thw SB anf loss, so the scars are deep and will last a lifetime. The only thing that will soften the blow is to win. 

In the meantime, Matt just gave an interview to AJC and talked about his inability to audible out of plays partially due to personnel packaging. Now I think that's a valid concern but in no way should that allievate the need for Matt to have better pocket presence at such a crucial juncture in the SB. But not giving your MVP QB a package of plays to work with depending on what he sees wreaks of arrogance/ a dictatorian nature that likely clouded Shanahan's judgement. 

I like Shanahan. I liked him when we signed him and kept confidence after the rough year 1. Also I must commend him for a masterful playoffs run and SB game for 3 quarters. But its tough to deny that some puzzling calls he made in the 4th directly contributed to our collapse. A 7-step drop on out 37 yard line? Not running inside Patriots 30? Lack of aggression after the game was tied with 2 minutes left to play? 

Anyway, check out the article. Its by DLed so lower your expectations: Matt Ryan says he was not allowed to audible out of certain Super Bowl plays https://t.co/EMuB5Y9s5C 

Edited by MD-FalconFan13

Well, it's really a live by the sword die by the sword situation.  We went on an incredible run by being aggressive.  Just didn't realize when it was time to put the sword away.

I personally take some heart in knowing that we were actually the best team in the NFL last year, come playoff time.  We crushed everyone we faced until the 4th quarter of the very last game.  We were the better team and at one point we had a 99% probability of being Super Bowl champs.  Terrible misfortune, bounces, calls, and boneheaded play calls undid us -- but everyone knows it was a miracle that the Patriots won that game.  No, we aren't the champs.  But we have everything but the hardware, even some of the pride.

2 minutes ago, caponine said:

It's not just 1 person , as a team we failed , not one person costs us this game by themselves .

I agree, but there is no shame in admitting that one person, above all others, hurt us the most. I get the idea you're saying, but the reality is one run play and a kick then we're likely preparing for our ring ceremony. That is entrirely on one person.

1 hour ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

I agree, but there is no shame in admitting that one person, above all others, hurt us the most. I get the idea you're saying, but the reality is one run play and a kick then we're likely preparing for our ring ceremony. That is entrirely on one person.

How is that more on the OC than it is the HC?

And why didn't someone (i.e. MVP Ryan) have the wherewithal to call a time out?

9 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

Well, it's really a live by the sword die by the sword situation.  We went on an incredible run by being aggressive.  Just didn't realize when it was time to put the sword away.

I personally take some heart in knowing that we were actually the best team in the NFL last year, come playoff time.  We crushed everyone we faced until the 4th quarter of the very last game.  We were the better team and at one point we had a 99% probability of being Super Bowl champs.  Terrible misfortune, bounces, calls, and boneheaded play calls undid us -- but everyone knows it was a miracle that the Patriots won that game.  No, we aren't the champs.  But we have everything but the hardware, even some of the pride.

I'm glad you feel that way but that 99% probability is what hurts the most for me.

It's hard to claim to be the best when you blow a game in historic fashion.  Hard to be proud of having the most epic choke of all time.

MD, props on posting article. First of all, Shannahan even said post SB short yards can be achieved via PASS or RUN, thus based on his game-calling he always favored PASS more. Did he revolutionize the WCO? Yes. Did this team achieve more than was thought possible ? Yes. Was The Mighty Quinn flawed in not for RUNS and getting a high % FG? Yes. And now the $64 million question: Will Quinn always remember the 22 yard line FIASCO and make a more prudent call? I truly believe YES. (Experience is the greatest teacher. The OBJECTIVE was to win regardless of formation and/or play. Next time, I see Quinn reevaluating and choosing simplicity over complexity in the moment.) The final question, based on his career completion %, YPC, endurance, MVP and game winning victories, should THE ICE MAN be trusted to audible a broader category of plays and/or completely change play regardless of audible package given? YES. The kid has a baseline as of 2016 of excellent performance under EXTREME pressure. ( You stat junkies can start listing now.)

0 for 51, E. T., PokerSteve and 2 others like this

1 hour ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

First off, Ive resigned tried to move on. But we came as close as you possibly can to winning thw SB anf loss, so the scars are deep and will last a lifetime. The only thing that will soften the blow is to win. 

In the meantime, Matt just gave an interview to AJC and talked about his inability to audible out of plays partially due to personnel packaging. Now I think that's a valid concern but in no way should that allievate the need for Matt to have better pocket presence at such a crucial juncture in the SB. But not giving your MVP QB a package of plays to work with depending on what he sees wreaks of arrogance/ a dictatorian nature that likely clouded Shanahan's judgement. 

I like Shanahan. I liked him when we signed him and kept confidence after the rough year 1. Also I must commend him for a masterful playoffs run and SB game for 3 quarters. But its tough to deny that some puzzling calls he made in the 4th directly contributed to our collapse. A 7-step drop on out 37 yard line? Not running inside Patriots 30? Lack of aggression after the game was tied with 2 minutes left to play? 

Anyway, check out the article. Its by DLed so lower your expectations: Matt Ryan says he was not allowed to audible out of certain Super Bowl plays https://t.co/EMuB5Y9s5C 

The Super Bowl wasn't tied with 2 minutes left. The Super Bowl was tied with like 40 seconds left.

53 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I'm glad you feel that way but that 99% probability is what hurts the most for me.

It's hard to claim to be the best when you blow a game in historic fashion.  Hard to be proud of having the most epic choke of all time.

I guess I look at it differently. Does having the biggest Super Bowl choke job ever suck? Of course it does. Doesn't that make me not celebrate the most incredible Falcons season I've ever witnessed? HeIl no. I'm proud of the 2016 Atlanta Falcons. I'm not embarrassed one bit. I've got nothing to celebrate. I proudly celebrate representing the NFC in the Super Bowl .I proudly celebrate an offense that tied for 7th most points ever scored in a season. I proudly celebrate beating the dog mess out of the Packers in the NFC Championship Game.

4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The Super Bowl wasn't tied with 2 minutes left. The Super Bowl was tied with like 40 seconds left.

Yeah, but the series after JJ's catch sealed it. Banged up C and RT, winded D means simple is best: RUN to place ball tween Hash Marks and KICK FG. 

Most people might disagree but EVERY ******* time Shanny peaks calling plays (whenever his offense reaches top five one year) They totally suck *** the next because of his play calling, even with the same personnel. He's gone and I'm sort of glad he's gone. I think the only reason we succeeded so much this year was because DQ forced Shanny to open up his playbook and select plays Matt was comfortable with and that also spread the ball. I feel like Sark and Matt and DQ planning together with Shanny's offensive system will actually keep us in the top offenses in the league. Matt has total understanding and total control of it and I look at Matt like a field general just like PM. He knows what plays to call to reveal or beat whatever coverage. I have faith in Matt, without Shanny. Matt's fourth OC will be checking out in a few years after Matt makes him a wanted man. 

We should be glad he's gone

Remember the Roddy 3 passes stuff/silliness/ego

Poor play calling and throw it ONLY to Julio (and stone hands when he was healthy, did the same with Andre Johnson) in 2015

He was very predictable the second half of 2015 and it was part (not all) of the reason we went on that slide (Matt was still learning system, some injuries, etc).

We all wanted him out?

The story has been repeated over and over again and I bet next year we would have either 1) won in spite of Shanny  and we know Matt does this because he won in spite of wussy play calling before and we also have a ton of talent on offense 2) totally bombed and been in the bottom 2/3rds of offenses and people are still calling for his head.

We will still have a top 5 offense without Shanny this year and it's for the better. I just wish he didn't have his head up his *** for the Superbowl 

8 minutes ago, athell said:

And just like that, we are back to phase 2 of the 5 phases of grief...

I'm so over the superbowl and really anything pertaining to it.  We lost.  Move on.

Nope.....I sit on my couch eating fried chicken going "fikkin kyle shannahan"

14 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Nope.....I sit on my couch eating fried chicken going "fikkin kyle shannahan"

Do you sit in a corner rocking back and forth?  lol

falconsd56 and Vandy like this

1 hour ago, athell said:

And just like that, we are back to phase 2 of the 5 phases of grief...

I'm so over the superbowl and really anything pertaining to it.  We lost.  Move on.

I thought I was too and then Lady Gaga came on the radio.

Then I started thinking about the half time show and how I thought it may be the best one I've ever seen and how awesome that was at the time because of the score.

Then I remember the 4th quarter and how after 3 plays I knew the Falcons were going to blow the biggest lead in Super Bowl history.

Im just sick and tired of waiting for the team to **** up... and them not proving me wrong.

Its still hard for me to get excited about next season because in the back of my mind I know they'll blow it again.

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Its still hard for me to get excited about next season because in the back of my mind I know they'll blow it again.

I'm a hardcore Falcons fan, but the last one hurt so much that if what you say happens two seasons in a row I might take some time off from football. 

Its not because of any other reason than my mental and physical health. I hate to admit that I had issues sleeping and coping with that one for a while and things associated with that game trigger bad memories... and I've been through a lot in my life. Sounds disturbing. 

3 hours ago, Hard2BaBirdWachr said:

If I'm MR2 I'm thinking..."Shanahan's on his way outta here anyway. What can he say? **** it we're running the football." That's just me.

Could not agree more.

Vandy likes this

Matt just like everyone else in their right mind assumed when. Julio made the catch to out them in FG range, it was going to be three runs, kick the ball and clear Peachtree for the parade...Ryan says it himself when he notes he thought the game was over after the catch. Shame his historic season was spoiled by this.