ket222

How can we pay for freeman after truffant's contract? what other players will we lose?

69 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, boss said:

Honestly I hope they don't resign him I would let him become a FA and test his value not a freeman fan I think he's overated by most on this board.

What is there to overrate? 

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Woefully inconsistent?

You don't think he's been woefully inconsistent game to game and season to season? One game he looks like Joe Thomas and the next game he has moments where he looks like Sam Baker.

11 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

You don't think he's been woefully inconsistent game to game and season to season? One game he looks like Joe Thomas and the next game he has moments where he looks like Sam Baker.

Some inconsistency for sure plus he's had some injuries, so he's still learning and growing.

And although I think he'll be a better than average, he may never turn out to be that All-pro Franchise LT we hoped he'd be when we drafted him with that high pick. 

But he's not been near as inconsistent as you are making him out to be IMO, we wouldn't have had the success offensively last year If that position wasn't solid. Plus people forget, he just now turned 25 years old. 

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Some inconsistency for sure plus he's had some injuries, so he's still learning and growing.

And although I think he'll be a better than average, he may never turn out to be that All-pro Franchise LT we hoped he'd be when we drafted him with that high pick. 

But he's not been near as inconsistent as you are making him out to be IMO, we wouldn't have had the success offensively last year If that position wasn't solid. Plus people forget, he just now turned 25 years old. 

Maybe woefully inconsistent was a bit harsh but he hasn't played at nearly the consistent level I would hope from a guy drafted that high. If he can play like he did in 2015 for the most part then that's great. I'm not expecting Joe Thomas level play out of him. But I do think he needs to cut out the Sam Baker level moments.

Yes he's had some injury issues as well, and that's a big of a concern moving forward as well because it's clear that injuries have a bigger impact on his performance than they do on Julio's performance. I'm not saying he should be able to still kick *** on 1 foot or leg like Julio but just throwing it out there as a comparison of how injuries affect some guys more than others.

Vandy likes this

5 hours ago, Falcon918 said:

You guys do know we had a top 10 oline last year. Not sure if Matthews complaints warranted. 

5th best in the league according to nfl.com but i dont think ppl look into that stuff

18 hours ago, ket222 said:

how can we possibly pay for freeman's contract after tru's huge payout?  I suppose we'll just pay him next year?  (I know little about the cap, tell me not to panic!) who are the players we will probably lose in next two to three years because of lack of cap space due to large contracts for ryan, tru, etc?  we just have so much talent (and they'll be wanting big payouts), I wonder what our team will look like in three years?

Yeah, you should not panic. 

Salary Cap problems aren't a problem. There are a million ways to make space if they need it.

1 hour ago, Jahi Sun said:

5th best in the league according to nfl.com but i dont think ppl look into that stuff

I think the reason people don't look into that stuff is because it's what stats on NFL.com are there for OL like you said? I didn't even know it was possible to have stats on OL play for a unit or individually.

Vandy likes this

Thread sounds an awful lot like working backwards from "Matthews got called for holding in a big spot" to "Matthews has been a disappointment."

He hasnt been a disappointment in any respect. If you were expecting Matthews to be Joe Thomas or anything similar, you were expecting too much. 

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

Plus he grinds and never complains even when he is hurt. 

Vandy I think Jake will be fine for the most part of this year he was really good I remember a certain performance against Von Miller in Denver Jake and our line were off the chart good.

But what scares me even more is the OTs coming out of college good lord for the most part they get eaten up and if we keep going like we are how realistic is it to pick up a good one picking where we will be picking.

Vandy likes this

16 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Vandy I think Jake will be fine for the most part of this year he was really good I remember a certain performance against Von Miller in Denver Jake and our line were off the chart good.

But what scares me even more is the OTs coming out of college good lord for the most part they get eaten up and if we keep going like we are how realistic is it to pick up a good one picking where we will be picking.

Yeah, I'm with you Kiwi. Until we suk again, not gonna get anyone who is comparable to Matthews at LT.  Just like you, I think jake is fine for what we need. 

And Frankly, whether folks liked it or not, we're pretty much stuck with him. 

kiwifalcon likes this

5 hours ago, Vandy said:

Plus he grinds and never complains even when he is hurt. 

Yep, he's a real trooper, a real professional.  Doctors told him his ankle wouldn't heal until he rested it for a few months but he just kept playing the rent of year without a single complaint. His playing level did noticeably  drop off after the KC game. 

Vandy and falconsd56 like this

23 hours ago, ket222 said:

how can we possibly pay for freeman's contract after tru's huge payout?  I suppose we'll just pay him next year?  (I know little about the cap, tell me not to panic!) who are the players we will probably lose in next two to three years because of lack of cap space due to large contracts for ryan, tru, etc?  we just have so much talent (and they'll be wanting big payouts), I wonder what our team will look like in three years?

Oh ye of little faith.  I'm sure they already have a roadmap of what they want to do.  After all that is their job!

22 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

Every Falcon player is overrated by some Falcon fan. All except Julio it seems. Interesting 

Oh according to some Julio is indeed overrated.

"Shiny hood ornament"

youngbloodz and Falconsfan567 like this

5 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Thread sounds an awful lot like working backwards from "Matthews got called for holding in a big spot" to "Matthews has been a disappointment."

He hasnt been a disappointment in any respect. If you were expecting Matthews to be Joe Thomas or anything similar, you were expecting too much. 

Honestly he has has had moments when he was every bit Joe Thomas.

The problem is that when he has a bad play people seem to remember those.

I mean watch the playoff games and see how many plays  his guy made......they were few and far between.

Vandy likes this

Levitre, Reed, Clayborn,Ryan restructure would free up a good 20 mil not to mention our cap is middle of the pack for next year with about 3 must sign guys (Freeman, Matt Bryant and one of Poe or Hageman) three more quality guys u want back (Turbo Taylor, Ish and Upshaw) and theroritcally we're set. We're in good shape the Beasley, Coleman deals are the ones that might put us close to the cap trouble but not in a Aints situation.

On 4/10/2017 at 8:14 PM, hjerry said:

We just have to manage the cap appropriately, but you never really run out of cap space per se.

Did you hear that disembodied groan coming from New Orleans? Or was that just me that heard that?