Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ket222

How can we pay for freeman after truffant's contract? what other players will we lose?

69 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

I agree with a lot of your post, except that they need to decide on his fifth year option for 2018 this offseason.  I think they will probably pick up his option, but it will be a big year for him to show that he can take that next step forward.

Oh alright. Didn't realize that was made the year before. Has that decision been made or not and when is the deadline? I figure they've picked it up if the deadline has already passed.

5 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Oh alright. Didn't realize that was made the year before. Has that decision been made or not and when is the deadline? I figure they've picked it up if the deadline has already passed.

I'm not sure, but it was early May in years past.

Edit: May 2nd per the NFLPA website

Falconsfan567 likes this

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

2017 is a big year for Jake Matthews. He either plays up to his potential or he probably walks and the Falcons look for a replacement. So far he's been extremely inconsistent and well, at times, quite frankly not very good. Just my honest opinion about it.

Can't agree here man I'd pay him at his best he's more than good enough to hold down LT.The thought of drafting OTs is a scarey one at best.Matthews will be fine man.

gazoo, Vandy and WeDemBirds60 like this

3 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

I'm not sure, but it was early May in years past.

Edit: May 2nd per the NFLPA website

Ah, alright after the draft makes a lot more sense. If you draft the right man then you don't have to pick up that option year. Falcons will more than likely still pick up the option regardless of what they do in the draft.

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

Can't agree here man I'd pay him at his best he's more than good enough to hold down LT.The thought of drafting OTs is a scarey one at best.Matthews will be fine man.

The issue is you can't play top dollar to a guy that has been woefully inconsistent in his career. Especially when some of his off moments have been pretty bad. That's why 2017 is a big year for him. He's got to go out and prove that he's a franchise left tackle and that he deserves to be paid as such. So far he's been an ok tackle but not a franchise guy.

Flying Falcon likes this

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Ah, alright after the draft makes a lot more sense. If you draft the right man then you don't have to pick up that option year. Falcons will more than likely still pick up the option regardless of what they do in the draft.

Yeah, most likely IMO.  It's worth noting that the 5th year option is only guaranteed for injury though, so you may be right that it's a make or break year for him this year.  The option isn't cheap, being a top 10 pick at a premier position, and it's entirely possible that they could pick up the option and then decide to cut him after the season if he doesn't improve.

4 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The issue is you can't play top dollar to a guy that has been woefully inconsistent in his career. Especially when some of his off moments have been pretty bad. That's why 2017 is a big year for him. He's got to go out and prove that he's a franchise left tackle and that he deserves to be paid as such. So far he's been an ok tackle but not a franchise guy.

See this is where I disagree if the Falcons keep up there continual success what chance do you think we'll have finding another guy as good in the draft.Personally I think Matthews will be fine.You want to talk lottery man the draft and OTs good lord that's basically a flip of the coin.

Dollars means nothing in the league these days so many players get over paid it's a fact of life.As long as you aren't in cap dodo who cares what they get paid.

It such a poor narrative around here as soon as we have to pay our young talent the board goes into moan mold and the cap this and he's not worth that.Man as above who cares as long as the mentioned doesn't hurt our cap situation.

I think you'll find Matthews will prove a few wrong next season.

Vandy likes this

9 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

2017 is a big year for Jake Matthews. He either plays up to his potential or he probably walks and the Falcons look for a replacement. So far he's been extremely inconsistent and well, at times, quite frankly not very good. Just my honest opinion about it.

You guys do know we had a top 10 oline last year. Not sure if Matthews complaints warranted. 

Vandy likes this

I think if we cut Ryan and then let Beasley go in FA instead of sign him to a phat contract we will be bale to sign Freebie.

14 minutes ago, Falcon918 said:

You guys do know we had a top 10 oline last year. Not sure if Matthews complaints warranted. 

Mathews was playing with a serious injury to his ankle from the Kansas City game through the Super Bowl.  He desperately needed to rest it so it would heal up.

Mathews plays at a high level when healthy but that ankle injury impacted his play more than peop,e realize.

Slappywhite and Vandy like this

This whole conversation about Salary cap is a whole bunch of bunk... why we have roughly 40+ million in cap space next offseason this is including truant #!... this is before all these potential avenues of getting more cap space

1. This is estimate of total cap next year the actual # could be higher 

2. A Matt Ryan extension probably on a yearly basis particular next year or this year saves us a couple of million on cap hit

3. Levitre being cut saves over 8+million dollars him and Reed will be favoritea for getting cut next year and most likely will be...Alford is a candidate for 2019

4. Top Running back contracts are not earth shattering anymore... a top 5 contract probably puts him making 5-7 million a year against cap

So with all that said going into off season the Falcons actually cap could be between 45 to 55 million so plenty to retain freeman and others responsible 

9 hours ago, PK Manley said:

Yeah, most likely IMO.  It's worth noting that the 5th year option is only guaranteed for injury though, so you may be right that it's a make or break year for him this year.  The option isn't cheap, being a top 10 pick at a premier position, and it's entirely possible that they could pick up the option and then decide to cut him after the season if he doesn't improve.

With it not being guaranteed that helps the salary cap situation tremendously. If he doesn't have a good year the Falcons can cut him and not suffer any dead money.

17 hours ago, boss said:

Honestly I hope they don't resign him I would let him become a FA and test his value not a freeman fan I think he's overated by most on this board.

Apparently underrated by some here as well.

7 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

See this is where I disagree if the Falcons keep up there continual success what chance do you think we'll have finding another guy as good in the draft.Personally I think Matthews will be fine.You want to talk lottery man the draft and OTs good lord that's basically a flip of the coin.

Dollars means nothing in the league these days so many players get over paid it's a fact of life.As long as you aren't in cap dodo who cares what they get paid.

It such a poor narrative around here as soon as we have to pay our young talent the board goes into moan mold and the cap this and he's not worth that.Man as above who cares as long as the mentioned doesn't hurt our cap situation.

I think you'll find Matthews will prove a few wrong next season.

I hope Matthews is fine. You think he's been better than I have through his first 3 seasons apparently and that's fine if we disagree there. I think Matthews has only been ok but that you can do much better than him.

Honestly, don't worry about it, it will happen.  I can't see Freeman going anywhere.  Mike Bell on 92.9 was all but positive about we would not be able to pay Trufant.  Things will get worked out for everybody.

4 hours ago, Falcon918 said:

The line as a whole was great last year. But Matthews individual performance has only been ok as a whole for his entire 3 years. He's also had some pretty bad moments and games. I'm not into the PFF crap so I don't care what those numbers say, I'm just saying what I've seen on the field. All linemen get beat and called for penalties but seems like Matthews gets called for a lot of penalties in key moments of games, including on that final fateful drive in the Super Bowl.

I would love to see him go out and have another great year like the one he did in 2015 because that year he played like a franchise left tackle.

14 hours ago, Atlantafan21 said:

LT is still the more important position and harder to find a good LT. Also, he's a good amount younger, so the choice should be easy. 

Actually, It's not even a choice.

14 hours ago, raysnill1 said:

2135 yards on 492 carries 4.3 ypc 22 TDs along with 127 catches for 1040 yards 8.1 ypc and 5 TDs while splitting carries is over-rated these days?

Still only 25 yrs old.

Flying Falcon likes this

13 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Some truth in all of this, but jake's not going anywhere. 

12 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Woefully inconsistent?

4 hours ago, gazoo said:

Mathews was playing with a serious injury to his ankle from the Kansas City game through the Super Bowl.  He desperately needed to rest it so it would heal up.

Mathews plays at a high level when healthy but that ankle injury impacted his play more than peop,e realize.

Plus he grinds and never complains even when he is hurt. 

kiwifalcon and gazoo like this