FentayeJones

Falcons coach Dan Quinn intrigued by Villanova's Tanoh Kpassagnon

57 posts in this topic

Falcons coach Dan Quinn intrigued by Villanova's Tanoh Kpassagnon

Vaughn McClure

ESPN Staff Writer

Atlanta Falcons coach Dan Quinn couldn't help but smile when talking about draft prospect Tanoh Kpassagnon from Villanova.

The 6-foot-7-inch, 289-pound defensive end is an intriguing talent, with 36-inch arms and the ability to run the 40-yard dash in 4.83 seconds. Not to mention Kpassagnon tied top prospect Myles Garrett for the second-best broad jump among defensive linemen at the NFL combine.

"He did a fantastic job out in Indy," Quinn said of Kpassagnon. "I think he's really ascending. And he's a cool guy. He's going to do well, because it's in his mindset to do well. He's not kidding himself or laughing about it. He's not kidding himself that he's got work to do."

Quinn recently conducted a private workout with Kpassagnon, and Kpassagnon came away from the workout confident he performed well. He also appreciated the connection he made with Quinn.

"Well, it was awesome to have such a defensive genius say good things about you," Kpassagnon said of Quinn. "But what impressed me the most was how real and honest he was. And just how helpful he was by telling me what to expect through the whole process."

ESPN’s Todd McShay projects Kpassagnon a third-rounder in his latest prospect rankings, but his workout circuit could convince some to take a chance on him earlier. Quinn is looking for more pass-rush help to complement Vic Beasley Jr., who had a breakout second year with a NFL-leading 15.5 sacks to go with six forced fumbles. The Falcons hold the 31st, 63rd, and 95th picks in the first three rounds of the draft and need a pass-rusher along with an offensive guard, above all.

Kpassagnon final college totals included 105 tackles, 37.5 tackles for losses, and 22 sacks. He was an FCS All-American this past season and a three-time All-Academic performer as a finance major.

When asked what role he could envision himself playing in the Falcons' defense, Kpassagnon said simply, "I see myself on the edge, rushing the passer."

Playing for a small school hasn't dettered teams' enthusiasm about Kpassagnon. Here is what one AFC scout had to say about the Villanova product:

"Big and fast. Built like a Greek god. No instincts though and is behind football-wise. He's got starter's tools, but it may take a little time to develop."

Quinn is known for developing pass-rushers and now has former All-Pro defensive tackle Bryant Young as his defensive line coach. Kpassagnon just might be a guy the Falcons can mold into a dominant force for years to come.

http://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/26475/falcons-coach-dan-quinn-intrigued-by-villanovas-tanoh-kpassagnon

The guy is really raw, really dont like that no instincts comment.  Quinn and his crew are great teachers but think there is better talent in rounds 1 and 2.  If he makes it to our third pick Im all in.

If we could get him in the 3rd or 4th along with another more polished edge rusher in the first or second I'd be cool with it. Even though I know they're more than likely not going to draft two ends.

I think he's getting too much credit for how big and athletic he is and not enough credit for how good of a player he is. He was outstanding in the senior bowl after a great college career. His agility testing numbers scare me a little, but I really do like him. I'd rather have him in the third but I can get behind him in the second. He really fits with the trend of going with an unpolished freak in the second round like we have with Hageman, Collins, and Debo. 

A-TowN.-, Drew4719 and mtldirtybird like this

This guy under Quin has the ability to be dangerous. 

With the 63rd pick in the second round of the 2017 NFL draft the Atlanta Falcons select...

Falconsin2012 likes this

Not likely to happen but we could trade our first pick for an extra selection or two and then pick this guy in the second.  I doubt he falls to the 3rd round.  When DQ speaks ... people listen.  

14 minutes ago, The Great American said:

Not likely to happen but we could trade our first pick for an extra selection or two and then pick this guy in the second.  I doubt he falls to the 3rd round.  When DQ speaks ... people listen.  

EF Hutton would like a word with you. 

He's so tall I wonder if he'll be able dip low under the OL to get to the QB

3 hours ago, TheRisen999 said:

If we could get him in the 3rd or 4th along with another more polished edge rusher in the first or second I'd be cool with it. Even though I know they're more than likely not going to draft two ends.

I think they will draft two guys, one an edge/lber type and another DE. 

If they want Kpass, it will have to be round 2.

and for those (not you risen) who keep saying combines don't matter, read Quinn's comments.

While I don't see us getting him (I doubt he lasts past mid 2nd), I would not be mad at this point if DQ reached for him at 31.   I don't really want that but I  am really convinced that DQ can turn these super athletes into serious NFL players.  I do not think that Beez, Collins, Debo, Campbell or even Neal would be as good as they were last year on most other teams.  Yes we've had good drafts but I'm really feeling that our success has been through good coaching and knowing the traits that you can do something with.

Lornoth and The Rock like this

If they take Tanoh at 63, I'm good with it. 

It's funny how yall fell in love with big blobs like Daniel McCullers and Sammie Lee Hill that showed no flashes and were all size and are scared of Tanoh being molded by the best defensive coach we've ever had. 

Remember, the DL is about rotations and working as a unit. Tanoh would be a strong cog to build with. He wouldn't have to worry about doubles with Poe here. If anything, Poe, Vic, and Jarrett are getting doubles well before Tanoh would see any. Can Tanoh evelop into a solid 1v1 strong side pass rusher with interior ability? I say yes. 

ShadyRef, Drew4719, Poe_Boy and 5 others like this

13 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

While I don't see us getting him (I doubt he lasts past mid 2nd), I would not be mad at this point if DQ reached for him at 31.   I don't really want that but I  am really convinced that DQ can turn these super athletes into serious NFL players.  I do not think that Beez, Collins, Debo, Campbell or even Neal would be as good as they were last year on most other teams.  Yes we've had good drafts but I'm really feeling that our success has been through good coaching and knowing the traits that you can do something with.

It's amazing what a coach who knows how to actually you know, develop talent, can do. 

27 minutes ago, D.B.N. said:

It's amazing what a coach who knows how to actually you know, develop talent, can do. 

Exactly. Then with Tanoh, factor in that he is a player who pretty much checks all the boxes for the physical traits AND appears to have the right attitude/work ethic (based on the comments about him being confident, but knowing he has more to do still). Plus, he's a smart player (3x All-Academic Team as a finance major), so he should have no problem picking things up quickly.

vel and D.B.N. like this

38 minutes ago, vel said:

It's funny how yall fell in love with big blobs like Daniel McCullers and Sammie Lee Hill that showed no flashes and were all size and are scared of Tanoh being molded by the best defensive coach we've ever had. 

Remember, the DL is about rotations and working as a unit. Tanoh would be a strong cog to build with. He wouldn't have to worry about doubles with Poe here. If anything, Poe, Vic, and Jarrett are getting doubles well before Tanoh would see any. Can Tanoh evelop into a solid 1v1 strong side pass rusher with interior ability? I say yes. 

I think at LDE, Tanoh is a great talent to get in the 2nd round, and allow for time to develop with Crawford and Upshaw manning the majority of reps at that spot.

Imagine coming out of this draft with TWO of the following players:

Reddick, Rivers, Willis, Watt

Bowser, Tanoh, Walker, D. Hall

Im all about trading a 3rd to move up for Reddick....

1) Reddick

2) Tanoh

4) BPA at OL/FS/DL

5) BPA at OL/FS/DL

7) BPA at OL/FS/DL

kiwifalcon likes this

1 hour ago, vel said:

I am good with him. Not in the first.

33 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

I think at LDE, Tanoh is a great talent to get in the 2nd round, and allow for time to develop with Crawford and Upshaw manning the majority of reps at that spot.

Imagine coming out of this draft with TWO of the following players:

Reddick, Rivers, Willis, Watt

Bowser, Tanoh, Walker, D. Hall

Im all about trading a 3rd to move up for Reddick....

1) Reddick

2) Tanoh

4) BPA at OL/FS/DL

5) BPA at OL/FS/DL

7) BPA at OL/FS/DL

Why spend an extra pick for Reddick? He's not an edge rusher in the NFL. He's an off ball LB with blitz ability. He's definitely not worth trading up for with the way the roster is built right now. 

I honestly think Rivers/Tanoh is the most likely outcome and would be a solid 1-2 punch to add to the DL rotation. 

Anyone that thinks he makes it to the third is just wishing on a star. Honestly I would be really surprised if he made it to our second pick. Kpass is the only person I have ever done my own round projection on in all my years of watching the draft, that's how sure I am that he's not making it to the third. I have a feeling he needs to be our 1'st or he won't be ours at all. He won't succeed elsewhere like he would here.

E. T. and Bobby.Digital like this

1 hour ago, Herr Doktor said:

I don't see us wasting a pick on this kid.  Would he make the team? 

wut?

Love the kid. Panthers really interested in him as well.

Gettleman's comments on the kid were quite humorous and telling. The Panthers could easily mold him into a star. 

If he makes it to our late second round pick, I'd be happy.