Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

April 2017 UGA Recruiting Thread

168 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Emory Jones confirmed with Rivals that he was visiting UGA all weekend (Friday-Sunday) and spent most of it with Chaney, who he says he is a big fan of. He said that he didn't want the news to get out and upset Urban Meyer, but he did confirm it. Says Chaney told him he will be tailoring the offense going forward to suit the strengths of his QB.

Emory plans to visit again in the summer as he makes the rounds with Florida, FSU, UGA, and Bama.

Edited by Carter

2 hours ago, Carter said:

Emory Jones confirmed with Rivals that he was visiting UGA all weekend (Friday-Sunday) and spent most of it with Chaney, who he says he is a big fan of. He said that he didn't want the news to get out and upset Urban Meyer, but he did confirm it. Says Chaney told him he will be tailoring the offense going forward to suit the strengths of his QB.

Emory plans to visit again in the summer as he also makes the rounds with Florida, UF, UGA, and Bama.

Any real possibility we get him?

55 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Any real possibility we get him?

No idea man... I'm not holding my breath. He is probably listening and maybe even entertaining the idea, but it's hard for me to see him ending up somewhere other than Ohio State unless he's not going to qualify or something.

Yo_Lover likes this

2018 4* DE Alfred Thomas says UGA is his top choice right now. He is from Montgomery, so I expect it to be quite a fight to reel him in. Big guy has a lot of versatility and he is open to playing wherever he can on defense to have an impact.

fibonaccisquared and 95Dawg like this

EJ is very talented and worthy of quite a bit of the hype he is receiving, but he's not even the best DT QB in his own high school classification. JG all day everyday and twice on Friday nights. 

SacFalcFan likes this

3 hours ago, PIGismyhomeboy said:

EJ is very talented and worthy of quite a bit of the hype he is receiving, but he's not even the best DT QB in his own high school classification. JG all day everyday and twice on Friday nights. 

Who is JG? I'm terrible with following initials lol

Looks like the Dawgs are making a strong pitch to Tennessee commit Alontae Taylor. The 5'11" 180 lbs athlete has been committed to UT for 10 months now, but found his way to Athens recently after the Dawgs offered him.

He was very straight forward with the coaches and media covering the team. He said he sees himself as a better fit playing corner at UGA and that the coaches pitched "both sides" at first before zeroing in on DB as he made his thoughts known. They said that they like him as a DB and didn't want to offend him by not giving him a chance to do both, but as Taylor says, he and the coaches both see him as a DB at Georgia. That's not to say he sees himself as a better fit at UGA, just recognizing where he fits in as a player. Tennessee has him filling in as a receiver.

Taylor remains committed to Tennessee. He wants to visit LSU and then Stanford at some point over the summer and that will be the last of his unofficial visits. He says he will only be taking two official visits - one to UT and the second visit will be decided on between UGA and LSU, whichever one he likes more. He says that he will shut it down around his birthday, which is December 3rd.

fibonaccisquared likes this

10 hours ago, Carter said:

Who is JG? I'm terrible with following initials lol

Unsure... thought they might be referring to Justin Fields... only DT QB I can think of with JG out of the state of Georgia is James Graham, but don't think I'd put him ahead of Emory Jones by any means.

3 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Unsure... thought they might be referring to Justin Fields... only DT QB I can think of with JG out of the state of Georgia is James Graham, but don't think I'd put him ahead of Emory Jones by any means.

Think he meant JF, Justin Fields.  

Just now, 007dawg said:

Think he meant JF, Justin Fields.  

Yeah, agreed... that's why it was the first name I mentioned... probably just a typo (F & G are neighbors thanks to the innovation of the "less efficient" QWERTY keyboard - fascinating story if you've never read it... essentially the keyboard style that we use is a remnant of manual typewriters that would get jammed due to nearly simultaneous keystrokes with more efficient key configurations...)

Nope I'm talking about Graham. They have matched up twice and their individual performances were not even close. 

3 hours ago, PIGismyhomeboy said:

Nope I'm talking about Graham. They have matched up twice and their individual performances were not even close. 

Thanks for clarifying. :)

I've only seen a little of Jones and even less of Graham. I don't think UGA is recruiting him at all. Of course that doesn't really mean anything though. I have seen where some other folks are very high on him and disappointed we aren't after him. I will have to keep an eye out for him.

Always appreciate you stopping in here btw :tiphat:

fibonaccisquared likes this

18 hours ago, PIGismyhomeboy said:

For those that haven't hear much on Graham, have a look for yourself. 

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4379813/587d913f3df53a275c6e5375

Impressive. Seems like a perfect fit for Malzahn's offense.

I still think Justin Fields is the best QB in 2018. I'd take him over Lawrence and Jones. Is there any chance we can pry him away from Penn State? Not even sure if he's on Georgia's radar anymore.

3 hours ago, LawDawg said:

Impressive. Seems like a perfect fit for Malzahn's offense.

I still think Justin Fields is the best QB in 2018. I'd take him over Lawrence and Jones. Is there any chance we can pry him away from Penn State? Not even sure if he's on Georgia's radar anymore.

Oh he's definitely still on our radar. There's been multiple reports of multiple visits to campus, even since he committed to PSU.

Him and Jones fall into the same category, of guys who's family desperately want them at UGA, but who have decided that it's better for their future/skillset to go elsewhere, and their families are respecting their decision.

Right now we have zero Dual Threat QBs on Campus, and that's why you've seen so many offers to DT QBs since Lawrence committed. They're pitching playing time, based on being the only DT of the bunch.

1 hour ago, VA F.O. said:

Meanwhile Sheffield plummeted

Some serious changing of the guard here

Plummeted maybe a bit strong. dropped 18 spots to 24 yes, but this is based on a single rating of 95 vs maybe a 96/97 previously. Definitely looks like they're still dialing in... expect a lot more movement of course as more services start offering up their rankings as well. 

On Mon Apr 03 2017 at 3:02 AM, Carter said:

No idea man... I'm not holding my breath. He is probably listening and maybe even entertaining the idea, but it's hard for me to see him ending up somewhere other than Ohio State unless he's not going to qualify or something.

No shot as of now. I know a few people real close to Emory. Pulling for him cause he is an awesome kid. 

5 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

No shot as of now. I know a few people real close to Emory. Pulling for him cause he is an awesome kid. 

No shot of qualifying? Even with his whole senior year still to go? Or no shot of him going anywhere but Ohio State? I remember you saying a while back his grades aren't that great.

Saban has worked around that with some guys. Sac mentioned BJ Emmons getting in with some kind of learning disability waiver i believe. Seems like Urban Meyer would be slick on some stuff like that too.

1 hour ago, Carter said:

No shot of qualifying? Even with his whole senior year still to go? Or no shot of him going anywhere but Ohio State? I remember you saying a while back his grades aren't that great.

Saban has worked around that with some guys. Sac mentioned BJ Emmons getting in with some kind of learning disability waiver i believe. Seems like Urban Meyer would be slick on some stuff like that too.

No shot of him going to UGA. His grades are a big issue still. Heard he is going to summer school though so he is trying. 

Carter likes this