Chester's retirement creates a huge hole, whether you liked his play or not this year, he was statistically VERY good this year, and have wondered why he got hated on so much here. He was an incredibly reliable option, that was never injured. Losing him, even if he were supplanted as starter, his retirement is a Huge loss as an insurance policy, and no real replacement exists. So how do you think we should address RG?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I have to disagree. This is a pretty big overreaction. He wasn't that good at all and the loss of him is less significant than losing Dimarco. The team will be fine and the rest of the O-line is good enough to be a successful bunch even with RG as an average starter. 

I had not heard, until recently, about us signing the guy from the Colts. I think that makes guard much less of a need (with Schweitzer, Garland, and the new guy). I definitely wouldn't mind seeing us draft a guard, but I'd rather see us go get a linebacker who can also provide some pass rush, a free safety, and another defensive lineman. We actually look decent on the D-line right now, but I want a full arsenal of guys so that we can rotate and always have guys playing full speed at 100%. If we can consistently generate stop the run and generate pass rush with our front four, I believe our secondary will generate turnovers and our entire defense can become elite. Like you, I'm more worried about our defense that right guard. We've got a few guys...I think one of them can get the job done with little drop off from last year

15 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Chester signing changes absolutely nothing. From the very beginning they said that he may retire. 

They never counted on him returning next season.

+1

My belief from the beginning is that should we make it through training camp with the guys we currently have and decide we still need to upgrade the position, TD and Quinn have proven capable of swinging a preseason deal for a quality player (see Levitre); and will do so if necessary, thus sparing the need to reach for a position early. 

Falcons RG Ben Garland is expected to compete for a starting job.

Wes Schweitzer and Hugh Thornton are also candidates to replace Chris Chester. Garland is the in-house favorite after a strong showing over 101 all-purpose snaps last year. The Falcons haven't ruled out adding a guard in the draft.

Apr 1 - 6:01 PM

We have a center that can anchor our line for years to come. That's half the key to success. The other is drafting a 2nd day guard maybe 5 or 6th rd and get him ready for next year 2018. We have our guard in either garland or sweitzer or our latest sign from the colts. The key is to quickly get them *NSYNC with our line. 

Chester gave up the second most pressures in the league out of all guards and we still fielded a very good Oline. We don't need to jump high for a guard this year.  I thought Wes was much better in pass pro than Chester last preseason but just looked at times like his head was swimming a bit. 

He was pancaking dudes in his tape vs SEC talent, so he has the tools.  I think a year learning the system will help him make a step forward this season. His proday numbers are better than Dan Feeney's for the most part. 

People may be looking at his inactivity last year and think he's not up to par.  I think Garland's versatility warranted him an active roster spot over Wes last year, and rightfully so.  I think he's the guy that can step in seamlessly and make an impact.  Going to Ryan's players only camp will help him too.  Hes not lacking physically at all, just needs to get comfortable in this scheme...

1 hour ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Chester's retirement creates a huge hole, whether you liked his play or not this year, he was statistically VERY good this year, and have wondered why he got hated on so much here. He was an incredibly reliable option, that was never injured. Losing him, even if he were supplanted as starter, his retirement is a Huge loss as an insurance policy, and no real replacement exists. So how do you think we should address RG?

I know you just came out from under a rock, but...  we signed this guy named Hugh Thornton a few weeks back as they had already moved on.

16 minutes ago, atlbaby said:

Chester was tied for the most pressure given up by a guard last season and we had the best offense in the league. Schweitzer and Garland has been spending time in Falcons plan d program getting better. As insurance they signed Colts former starter. 

Thanks for this bro.

1 hour ago, FalconsInCanada said:

Falcons RG Ben Garland is expected to compete for a starting job.

Wes Schweitzer and Hugh Thornton are also candidates to replace Chris Chester. Garland is the in-house favorite after a strong showing over 101 all-purpose snaps last year. The Falcons haven't ruled out adding a guard in the draft.

Apr 1 - 6:01 PM

It'd be really great for this team's long term success if Garland and Schweitzer could lock down both our OG spots.

Thornton is a young guy with a significant injury history.  He has been on IR for at least part of every season for the past three years.  He has knee, ankle, shoulder, back, and elbow problems that seem to pop up every year.

I think he is a good signing, as a back up, but I would not rely on him as a starter for the entire year. 

9 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

The only first round guard we've shown any interest in is Forrest Lamp. We have shown a lot of interest in day 3 guys, so unless the pick is Lamp, I would guess we are happy with what we have and just want to add another developmental guy to compete.

This is very interesting in itself. Says a lot about how thin this draft is at OG. Lamp most likely goes earlier than #31.

We'd probably have to trade up to get him

Thornton is a good Guard but has been whacked by way too many injuries.  He can not be viewed as a reliable starter for the whole season.

We have Levitre (for another year), Schweitzer/Garland (to compete for the RG spot), and Thornton to back-up both Guard positions.  

We should add a developmental interior OL and possibly sign a vet swing OT.   I don't know what Clady's price tag will be, but he should be quick enough to be decent depth for the short term.  

Edited by etherdome
8 hours ago, atlbaby said:

Chester was tied for the most pressure given up by a guard last season and we had the best offense in the league. Schweitzer and Garland has been spending time in Falcons plan d program getting better. As insurance they signed Colts former starter. 

I am guessing he decided to be the best at something....? B)

1 hour ago, etherdome said:

Thornton is a good Guard but has been whacked by way too many injuries.  He can not be viewed as a reliable starter for the whole season.

We have Levitre (for another year), Schweitzer/Garland (to compete for the RG spot), and Thornton to back-up both Guard positions.  

We should add a developmental interior OL and possibly sign a vet swing OT.   I don't know what Clady's price tag will be, but he should be quick enough to be decent depth for the short term.  

I would argue he's a below average guard who has been hit with injuries. Not a good combination. 

I like the Clady idea if he can be acquired for 2 million a year or around that. Means that Jake doesn't NEED to tough his way through games if he gets hurt again. 

58 minutes ago, ike barn87987 said:

I still think Schweitzer takes over for Levitre after this season and we draft our future RG this draft.

Don't sleep on Garland he worked with the ZBS legend himself "Alex Gibbs". I believe Garland will win the RG spot and Schweitzer will be the top interior back-up

10 hours ago, hjerry said:

It'd be really great for this team's long term success if Garland and Schweitzer could lock down both our OG spots.

Unfortunately Garland is going to be 29 years old this month.   So if Garland is going to be a starter, he needs to become one right now.   Even if that happens, Garland would be over 30 before he became good and seasoned.

Leave it to TATF to assume we just plug and play Garland, Schweitzer or Thornton in at RG and keep on rolling.

Many here should still remember the five year RG merry go round Dimi created by letting Dahl walk in 2011. Have yall already forgotten about the RG turnstile of King Konz, Sackmaker Baker, Reynolds Wrap, Dead President, Assamore, Chester the Molester, Brawley and Boogerman?

Now it sounds like the TATF answer is a low round rook. Jeez. We need to find a vet to come in and stabilize that position.

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Leave it to TATF to assume we just plug and play Garland, Schweitzer or Thornton in at RG and keep on rolling.

Many here should still remember the five year RG merry go round Dimi created by letting Dahl walk in 2011. Have yall already forgotten about the RG turnstile of King Konz, Sackmaker Baker, Reynolds Wrap, Dead President, Assamore, Chester the Molester, Brawley and Boogerman?

Now it sounds like the TATF answer is a low round rook. Jeez. We need to find a vet to come in and stabilize that position.

I definitely hear what you are saying.  While the overwhelming majority want to draft a pass rusher in the first, I am quietly hoping that a 10-year stalwart OL falls to our pick at #31.  

This draft is deep in pass rushers and shallow in OL's.  We need a good young OL.