g-dawg

Hotlanta! I-85N bridge collapses at Piedmont Rd

71 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I just got a new assignment in Lagrange on Weds and Fri and was complaining about the distance from here in east Atlanta. Not complaining anymore. Traffic for the rest of the city will be adversely affected. 

Edited by droopy1592

19 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Note to GDOT.....Don't use bridges like a storage pole barn.....dumbazz

Meh, no biggie. Only about a $90+ million screw-up, not counting the untold millions in damages resulting from the loss of a critical transportation link for the next six months. :ninja:

Edit: the $90 million is a total, wild guess, just for the record. :lol:

g-dawg and 0 for 51 like this

33 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

225,000 cars per day cross that section of I-85 per GDOT.

If there's one "good" thing it's that it wasn't part of the connector. 

2 hours ago, ATL2SeaTacFalcon4Life said:

Didn't MARTA help cause this by storing their flammable crap underneath the bridge?

Nope that was the hero operation.

2 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Nope that was the hero operation.

Interesting. I've seen reports showing that Marta had increased it's use there recently.

5 minutes ago, ATL2SeaTacFalcon4Life said:

Interesting. I've seen reports showing that Marta had increased it's use there recently.

I'm going by what I've observed previously and what others have said, may be that MARTA started using it recently.

2 hours ago, WOR said:

Lol 285. You mean Atlantas new 30 mile parking lot? 

I was talking more about the next couple months 285 is gonna have to be used a lot more because this won't be fixed over night. Bridge will have to be repaired and structural integrity will have to be checked on the whole bridge most likely feom the heat given off. That was a massive fire. 

And yeah it's bad man, I'm sure the whole area is a parking lot. I was gonna go down to SweetWater tomorrow but yeah not gonna do that now. 

36 minutes ago, ATL2SeaTacFalcon4Life said:

I'm sure they'll ask their National Guard bridging units for a temporary bridge over the area while they fix it.

a what?

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Does it mean I'm a redneck because the first thing I thought when  saw the collapsed bridge was "How fast would you have to go to jump the traverse?

giphy.gif

Since1990 and g-dawg like this

49 minutes ago, ATL2SeaTacFalcon4Life said:

I'm sure they'll ask their National Guard bridging units for a temporary bridge over the area while they fix it.

Temporary bridges aren't designed for a quarter million vehicles a day. They didn't do this the last time they had a piece of highway missing- don't think there's enough room to work on the new bridge if they put a temporary one in.

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Temporary bridges aren't designed for a quarter million vehicles a day. They didn't do this the last time they had a piece of highway missing- don't think there's enough room to work on the new bridge if they put a temporary one in.

Coulda had me fooled. They have temporary floating bridges that can handle Up-Armored Mraps..... They also can take one down and put one up within an hour.

Edited by ATL2SeaTacFalcon4Life

38 minutes ago, ATL2SeaTacFalcon4Life said:

Coulda had me fooled. They have temporary floating bridges that can handle Up-Armored Mraps..... They also can take one down and put one up within an hour.

If we are taking 200 cars, sure. But we are talking semi trucks and etc and up to thousandssssss of cars a day. 

5 hours ago, g-dawg said:

traffic for miles and miles.....that interstate is gonna be affected for months......peeps caught in this are gonna be their for hours and hours.

I don't live in Atlanta anymore and I don't miss the traffic at all.

This is going to make things extremely horrible for months.... everybody is going to either flood the side streets or 400 as they try to find an alternate route.

You guys might want to leave 3 hours earlier if you have to go anywhere close to that side of town... seriously

g-dawg likes this

2 hours ago, ATL2SeaTacFalcon4Life said:

One word... liability 

7 hours ago, ATL2SeaTacFalcon4Life said:

That stretch takes 225,000 cars a day. No temporary structure can handle that.

And, they can't rebuild the bridge with a temp bridge in place.