2017 MLB Season

Falconsfan567

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something happened today in the Reds at Pirates game that we've never seen happen before.

Brandon  Finnegan - 2 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 HR, 5 BB, 4 SO, 69 Pitches, 35 Strikes

Tyler Glasnow - 1 2/3 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 0 HR, 5 BB, 1 SO, 64 Pitches, 35 Strikes

First time ever that opposing starting pitchers went 2 innings or fewer while allowing 5 or more walks since the mound was placed 60 feet, 6 inches from home in 1893.

10 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Something happened today in the Reds at Pirates game that we've never seen happen before.

Brandon  Finnegan - 2 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 HR, 5 BB, 4 SO, 69 Pitches, 35 Strikes

Tyler Glasnow - 1 2/3 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 0 HR, 5 BB, 1 SO, 64 Pitches, 35 Strikes

First time ever that opposing starting pitchers went 2 innings or fewer while allowing 5 or more walks since the mound was placed 60 feet, 6 inches from home in 1893.

The Pirates and lots of prospect pundits don't like to talk about Glasnow's control problems, but they're real.

3 hours ago, K26dp said:

The Pirates and lots of prospect pundits don't like to talk about Glasnow's control problems, but they're real.

I saw a small piece of John Smoltz talking about young pitchers yesterday. He was talking about how pitchers in the minors are never taught how to get out of big jams and such so when they reach the majors and you end up in jams you've got no idea how to limit the damage. He said Greg Maddux would tell the young pitchers that if you've got the bases loaded and nobody out then your goal shouldn't be to try to get out of it without allowing any runs. He would tell them that it's ok to give up 1 run in that situation as long as you don't give up more than that. It's a lot easier to get out of a bases loaded nobody out situation allowing just 1 run than it is to try to allow no runs and end up giving up a bunch.

This really has nothing to do with Glasnow's control issues, but I just thought it was great advice to give young pitchers. We baby pitchers so much and all it does is hurt their development instead of improving it.

10 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

This really has nothing to do with Glasnow's control issues, but I just thought it was great advice to give young pitchers. We baby pitchers so much and all it does is hurt their development instead of improving it.

One of the things I appreciate about Braves development these days is how they are pushing the pitchers until they fail, and that they understand failure teaches more than success. That's one of the reasons I've learned that you can't just scout statlines when it comes to minor leagues. Context matters. 

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

One of the things I appreciate about Braves development these days is how they are pushing the pitchers until they fail, and that they understand failure teaches more than success. That's one of the reasons I've learned that you can't just scout statlines when it comes to minor leagues. Context matters. 

Absolutely. And that was one of the things Smoltzie mentioned. He learned more from getting his head beat in giving up 8 runs in 4 innings than he did throwing a complete game shutout.

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

You have to wonder if the Twins didn't damage Buxton by rushing him. He leads the league in swings and misses. He's K'd in 17 of 29 ABs and has a .069 average. That's after he had 118 K in 298 ABs last year. 

In total in the majors the kid has 179 strikeouts in 456 at-bats. That's a 39% strikeout rate for his career. That's mind blowing. Even more mind blowing when you look and see that he has 30 career walks. He's still only 23 but I think it's safe to say the kid is damaged goods at this point and will probably need a change of scenery and an extended time of sustained success at Triple-A to regain his form.

2 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Toronto is 1-7 and Russell Martin is 0 for the season. The Jays have managed just 23 runs in those 8 games. Only team with less runs is KC. They have 21 and are being shutout tonight.

Losing Edwin Encarnacion was a big blow but they still have some really good hitters on that team which makes this just unexplainable.

7 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Royals ended up scoring 3 runs last night. Jays now have scored the fewest runs in MLB. The team batting line is .190/.272/.276. We thought we were off to off a rough start. Braves line is .247/.310/.413

Man, that just doesn't make one lick of sense, especially that .276 slugging percentage.

Archived