• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Manfred had a conference call with the O's and Red Sox GM's and managers. He warned them that if the throwing at each other continues there will be significant suspensions. Joe Torre said Chris Sale is likely to be disciplined. 

When it first happened Pedro Martinez said he would take care of matters. Then last night after it happened he said on Twitter that Chris Sale had gone beyond what he would have done. So I fully expect a suspension for Sale.

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

It has gone too far. If I'm Machado and I get thrown at again next game I'm charging the mound looking to end it myself.

One was enough to even the score. Five, including one behind the head, is beyond ridiculous. What is even more ridiculous is that they did it again after the racist abuse Jones got from their fans.

2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

They had their magic moment but they didn't manage their future years correctly and now here they are, a boat load of expiring contracts at the end of the season with the worst record in baseball in early May. They need to start moving guys.

The Royals are about to become an example to the fans who questioned the Braves' rebuild.

3 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Cole Hamels is out for at least 8 weeks because of a strained oblique.

Hopefully Coppy is already talking to them about Colon, Dickey, or Garcia. 

I mean, the gave us Travis Demeritte for Lucas Freakin' Harrell last year...

Time to blow up the Jon Daniels regime.  Being cheap and getting bargain basement replacements for good players who left via free agency has caught up to the Rangers once again.  Look for a fire sale before the deadline.  Possibly shipping Darvish, Hamels, and any other commodity vet who can bring back young talent.  

2 hours ago, north falcon said:

April 2017 had more strikeouts than any other month in MLB history. That sounds good for the pitchers, but I think it's more about the hitters flailing away, trying to hit HRs, and failing to make contact.

Yep. All about the hitters and people becoming more accepting of strikeouts in order to try to hit more homeruns. Personally I hate it with a passion.

2 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Time to blow up the Jon Daniels regime.  Being cheap and getting bargain basement replacements for good players who left via free agency has caught up to the Rangers once again.  Look for a fire sale before the deadline.  Possibly shipping Darvish, Hamels, and any other commodity vet who can bring back young talent.  

I don't see how you can accuse Jon Daniels and the Rangers as cheap when according to this they have the highest payroll in baseball. :shrug:

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I don't see how you can accuse Jon Daniels and the Rangers as cheap when according to this they have the highest payroll in baseball. :shrug:

They have been recently after big contract failures.  What you posted is an estimated payroll, here is the actual.  But then again you knew that.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

1 minute ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

They have been recently after big contract failures.  What you posted is an estimated payroll, here is the actual.  But then again you knew that.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

I still wouldn't consider having the 7th highest payroll in baseball as cheap. It's $175M for Christ's sake. The Braves payroll is year is 19th in baseball at $112M and that is the highest that it has ever been. Us Braves fans would absolutely give a left nut to consider $175M payroll as being cheap.

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

I still wouldn't consider having the 7th highest payroll in baseball as cheap. It's $175M for Christ's sake. The Braves payroll is year is 19th in baseball at $112M and that is the highest that it has ever been. Us Braves fans would absolutely give a left nut to consider $175M payroll as being cheap.

I explained to you that was old big failure contracts that are years old now.  Recent spending by the Rangers has been very poor.  I've followed this team for decades, trust me they have been cheap recently.

16 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I explained to you that was old big failure contracts that are years old now.  Recent spending by the Rangers has been very poor.  I've followed this team for decades, trust me they have been cheap recently.

They traded for Cole Hamels and his huge contract as recently as the trade deadline in 2015. They just re-signed Beltre to a 2 year deal for $36M. 1 year deals for $11.5M and $10 to Carlos Gomez and Andrew Cashner respectively. They just gave Roughned Odor a long-term contract. They gave Elvis Andrus his massive contract prior to the 2015 season. I don't consider 2015 to be years ago. But I'm done arguing about this with you. Its irrelevant.

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

They traded for Cole Hamels and his huge contract as recently as the trade deadline in 2015. They just re-signed Beltre to a 2 year deal for $36M. 1 year deals for $11.5M and $10 to Carlos Gomez and Andrew Cashner respectively. They just gave Roughned Odor a long-term contract. They gave Elvis Andrus his massive contract prior to the 2015 season. I don't consider 2015 to be years ago. But I'm done arguing about this with you. Its irrelevant.

They let Desmond walk for a mere 5/$70 Mil contract, Beltran $16 Mil, Moreland $5.6 Mil

These players were integral part of the team last season and these contracts were certainly manageable contracts.  

19 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

They let Desmond walk for a mere 5/$70 Mil contract, Beltran $16 Mil, Moreland $5.6 Mil

These players were integral part of the team last season and these contracts were certainly manageable contracts.  

Or maybe those players just wanted to go somewhere else? Also, I don't consider $70M for 5 years to be a "mere" contract. Only once in Braves history have we ever paid a free agent that kind of contract and we came to regret every penny of it. Ian Desmond had a great year in Texas last year, but you should be grateful the Rangers didn't fall victim to the 1 year wonder in a contract year scenario. I've seen enough of Ian Desmond to know that last year was a total fluke and that the chances of him ever having a year like that again are slim to none. HeIl, just looking at it and his year last year ended up being almost average. His OPS plus was only 104 last year, with 100 being average. He's also going to be 32 at the end of the season. Come a year or so from now you will thankful that the Rangers avoided signing him.

3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Or maybe those players just wanted to go somewhere else? Also, I don't consider $70M for 5 years to be a "mere" contract. Only once in Braves history have we ever paid a free agent that kind of contract and we came to regret every penny of it. Ian Desmond had a great year in Texas last year, but you should be grateful the Rangers didn't fall victim to the 1 year wonder in a contract year scenario. I've seen enough of Ian Desmond to know that last year was a total fluke and that the chances of him ever having a year like that again are slim to none. HeIl, just looking at it and his year last year ended up being almost average. His OPS plus was only 104 last year, with 100 being average. He's also going to be 32 at the end of the season. Come a year or so from now you will thankful that the Rangers avoided signing him.

$70 Mil for Desmond to me is mere compared to Choo's $130 Mil which to me was a wasted contract, along with the Fielder fiasco.  

30 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

$70 Mil for Desmond to me is mere compared to Choo's $130 Mil which to me was a wasted contract, along with the Fielder fiasco.  

The Choo contract was completely ridiculous. No one knew Fielder would end up having the back/neck issue be as severe as it ended up being that forced him into an early retirement. The only move they made during the offseason that didn't make much sense was letting Mitch Moreland walk. But then again they couple have tried to keep him and he just wanted to go somewhere else. I don't know.

4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The Choo contract was completely ridiculous. No one knew Fielder would end up having the back/neck issue be as severe as it ended up being that forced him into an early retirement. The only move they made during the offseason that didn't make much sense was letting Mitch Moreland walk. But then again they couple have tried to keep him and he just wanted to go somewhere else. I don't know.

My understanding is they wanted to keep him but it came down to money/length of contract.  He just came off a gold glove and ended up signing with Boston for 5.6 million one year contract.  That makes no sense over signing Napoli who is an inferior 1st baseman and strikes out a lot.  

Just now, WhenFalconsWin said:

My understanding is they wanted to keep him but it came down to money/length of contract.  He just came off a gold glove and ended up signing with Boston for 5.6 million one year contract.  That makes no sense over signing Napoli who is an inferior 1st baseman and strikes out a lot.  

I completely agree.