2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

That was my initial reaction when I saw it. Exactly the same way Chipper got hurt in spring training 94.

I remember that night because I was watching it live with the man who would eventually be my father-in-law. I was meeting him for the first time, and we hit it off immediately because we were both huge Braves fans. Then we were crushed when we watched Chipper get carried off the field.

Chipper had pretty much won the left field job.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, K26dp said:

I remember that night because I was watching it live with the man who would eventually be my father-in-law. I was meeting him for the first time, and we hit it off immediately because we were both huge Braves fans. Then we were crushed when we watched Chipper get carried off the field.

Chipper had pretty much won the left field job.

Yep. Chipper was gonna play LF because Ron Gant had is motorcycle crash and broke his leg and the Braves cut him after that happen. When did that happen? Was it during the offseason or during spring training?

2 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

And you wouldn't think that with Boston

Exactly. I thought for sure getting away from no run support and the White Sox to go to Boston where he wouldn't have any issues getting run support but it followed him over there. He's made 5 starts this year and the Red Sox have scored a grand total of 10 runs.

21 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yep. Chipper was gonna play LF because Ron Gant had is motorcycle crash and broke his leg and the Braves cut him after that happen. When did that happen? Was it during the offseason or during spring training?

It was a few weeks before the start of spring training, IIRC.

5 minutes ago, K26dp said:

It was a few weeks before the start of spring training, IIRC.

Alright. Yeah I thought it was close to the start of spring training or during spring training. After Chipper blew out his knee we used a platoon of Mike Kelly and Ryan Klesko in LF.

Speaking of Klesko, it reminds me of a discussion I saw on MLB Tonight about a week ago, Harold Reynolds was talking about why a lot of LHB get labeled as platoon only guys and aren't ever really given the chance to prove they can hit LHP. It made me remember how Bobby Cox was guilty of doing that with Ryan Klesko and Adam LaRoche. For the most part for most of their time with the Braves Bobby sheltered them against LHP. It used to just piss me off because both held their own against LHP.

Pirates did a rare move of calling up a player from A ball. Cervelli was unable to play due to a sore foot so with the Pirates in Miami and their Florida State League team playing 3 hours away and needing a backup catcher they called up John Bormann. He then drove down I-75 to reach Miami by game time. He got to PH in the 9th and struck out. 

15 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Speaking of Klesko, it reminds me of a discussion I saw on MLB Tonight about a week ago, Harold Reynolds was talking about why a lot of LHB get labeled as platoon only guys and aren't ever really given the chance to prove they can hit LHP. It made me remember how Bobby Cox was guilty of doing that with Ryan Klesko and Adam LaRoche. For the most part for most of their time with the Braves Bobby sheltered them against LHP. It used to just piss me off because both held their own against LHP.

It's a double-edged sword. On one hand, you want to give the player the opportunity. On the other hand, you're trying to win, and in the case of those teams Klesko were on, they were expected to win. 

Ideally, you'd find out about this in the minor leagues, but because of the Gant and Chipper injuries in '94, Klesko was promoted to the majors when he and the organization probably could have used another half-season or so in AAA.

That said, Klesko was a .240/.324/.376 hitter vs. lefties in his career. Platooning would be a good thing with him. The problem is that the guys we had to platoon with him sometimes were't really that good.

4 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

Noah Syndergaard has been diagnosed with a partially torn lat muscle a few days after refusing an MRI scan.

I don't know who is dumber in this situation... Syndergaard for refusing the MRI when he knew he was hurt or the Mets for going along with this and letting him start.

Both, in equal measure. Syndergaard was being a baby, and the organization should have told him that if he refused medical assessment that he would be suspended.

Just now, K26dp said:

It's a double-edged sword. On one hand, you want to give the player the opportunity. On the other hand, you're trying to win, and in the case of those teams Klesko were on, they were expected to win. 

Ideally, you'd find out about this in the minor leagues, but because of the Gant and Chipper injuries in '94, Klesko was promoted to the majors when he and the organization probably could have used another half-season or so in AAA.

That said, Klesko was a .240/.324/.376 hitter vs. lefties in his career. Platooning would be a good thing with him. The problem is that the guys we had to platoon with him sometimes were't really that good.

I just remembered after the Braves traded him to San Diego and the Padres put him back at 1B (his natural position) and put him in the lineup on a daily basis he turned in 3 or 4 monster years in a row. It was unreal. I just always wondered if that would have happened had he been given the chance to play everyday in Atlanta.

1 minute ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

Players being dumb is to be expected sometimes. The Mets should have benched him until he got the MRI.

When it comes to the health of players, no one should expect Terry Collins to be the grown-up in the room.

The Royals run did not last long. They are the worst team in baseball record wise and offensively. They've scored 69 runs in 25 games. The next closest team is Oakland with 92 runs. KC's pitching is also in the lower part of the league. By all reports the team has looked as bad as their record says. 

39 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

The Royals run did not last long. They are the worst team in baseball record wise and offensively. They've scored 69 runs in 25 games. The next closest team is Oakland with 92 runs. KC's pitching is also in the lower part of the league. By all reports the team has looked as bad as their record says. 

They waited a year too long to start selling off assets.

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

They had their magic moment but they didn't manage their future years correctly and now here they are, a boat load of expiring contracts at the end of the season with the worst record in baseball in early May. They need to start moving guys.