Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

2017 MLB Season

1,091 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

My all time fave.. sweetest swing in baseball 

My favorite non Braves player ever! My current favorite non Braves player is Mike Trout,

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

My favorite non Braves player ever! My current favorite non Braves player is Mike Trout,

Just think of how close he was to being in a braves uni.. as far as current non braves fave, I'm not sure.. maybe Bumgarner.. lefty that's country strong 

Falconsfan567 likes this

Michael Martinez pitched the 9th for Cleveland. 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R. Indians were down 10-4. I'll of course always remember Martinez as the man on deck with 1B open when Fredi decided to pitch to Hunter Pence with the season on the line and a runner on 2B in game 162 in 2011. We know how that turned out

Falconsfan567 likes this

45 minutes ago, Brave Nu Werld said:

I have a t shirt with a silhouette of him with that famous swing with the cap on backwards. Classic. 

As far as pretty fluent swings, I always liked Will Clark. 

Griffey got the younger generation really into the game.. seeing him take batting practice with the hat backwards and that smile.. with the ease in which he launched balls.. just in awe

7 minutes ago, Brave Nu Werld said:

I agree. It was sad that he started slowing a bit when he signed with the Reds at age 30. But his numbers were so astronomical with Seattle it made his Cincy numbers look not so hot in comparison. But in fact they were not bad at all. 

That run in with the wall in Cincinnati did him in.. hated that he went there but understand why he did 

1 minute ago, TheTrue7 said:

That run in with the wall in Cincinnati did him in.. hated that he went there but understand why he did 

I mean he had a couple injuries in Seattle, the broken wrist from crashing into the wall was the big one. But then going to Cincinnati and all the crap that happened there. I mean, no one saw any of that coming. I remember one of the injuries he suffered he was just running the bases and came around 3rd and down he went. Everyone thought it was going to be an amazing home coming and it ended up being a nightmare for the most part. Had he stayed healthy in Cincinnati, especially after they moved into GABP, OMG the numbers he would have put up in that place!! He might have hit 60 or 70 homeruns playing half his home games there. The one thing I didn't understand about his time in Cincinnati was when he just flipped his jersey number from 30 to 3 clear out the blue. I never understood why he did that.

But just looking at his numbers, except for 95 when he broken his wrist he had a run of years with over 40 homeruns a pop.

• 1993 - 45
  • 1994 - 40
  • 1996 - 49
  • 1997 - 56
  • 1998 - 56
  • 1999 - 48
  • 2000 - 40

Holy flip!! Ownage!!

4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I mean he had a couple injuries in Seattle, the broken wrist from crashing into the wall was the big one. But then going to Cincinnati and all the crap that happened there. I mean, no one saw any of that coming. I remember one of the injuries he suffered he was just running the bases and came around 3rd and down he went. Everyone thought it was going to be an amazing home coming and it ended up being a nightmare for the most part. Had he stayed healthy in Cincinnati, especially after they moved into GABP, OMG the numbers he would have put up in that place!! He might have hit 60 or 70 homeruns playing half his home games there. The one thing I didn't understand about his time in Cincinnati was when he just flipped his jersey number from 30 to 3 clear out the blue. I never understood why he did that.

But just looking at his numbers, except for 95 when he broken his wrist he had a run of years with over 40 homeruns a pop.

• 1993 - 45
  • 1994 - 40
  • 1996 - 49
  • 1997 - 56
  • 1998 - 56
  • 1999 - 48
  • 2000 - 40

Holy flip!! Ownage!!

For his 3 kids (the number change).. the guy was simply amazing.. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

3 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

For his 3 kids.. they guy was simply amazing.. 

Oh cool! Never knew that.

What is mindblowing about the Mariners is that their 116 win season in 2001 came after Griffey, A-Rod and Randy Johnson all left. Amazing how you can lose 3 incredible talents like that and still have enough talent to win 116 games.

The year Bret Boone had in 2001? WOW!

.331/.372/.578 (.950) - 158 G, 690 PA, 623 AB, 118 R, 206 H, 37 2B, 3 3B, 37 HR, 141 RBI, 40 BB, 110 SO

There were a few moves the Braves made in the late 90s that I absolutely hated, but supposedly they were money driven moves.

1.) March 25, 1997 - Braves traded David Justice and Marquis Grissom to the Indians for Kenny Lofton and Alan Embree.

I absolutely hated this move. First off its odd to trade off two starting players 2 weeks before the season starts but also because loved Justice and Grissom and hated Kenny Lofton. Couldn't stand him. What makes this worse in hindsight is that Lofton and Bobby butted heads which is why Lofton became a free agent after the season he jumped ship back to the Indians and the Braves were left with nothing from this move. Justice meanwhile eventually ended as a major piece of the Yankees winning the WS in 2000.

2.) March  27, 1997 - Braves traded Jermaine Dye and Jamie Walker to the Royals for Keith Lockhart and Michael Tucker.

This move made just two days later made the Justice, Grissom trade even more absurd. Dye was a big time prospect for the Braves meanwhile Tucker had 2 very underwelming seasons with the Royals. WTF? Why did we make this move? It didn't make any sense the day it happened and 20 years later it still doesn't make any sense.

3.) December 22, 1999 - Braves traded Bret Boone, Ryan Klesko, and Jason Shiell to the Padres for Wally Joyner, Reggie Sanders and Quilvio Veras.

Hated this move the minute it was announced because Joyner was a 1st baseball that was a great defender and hit for average but didn't have any power, Sanders was never a good player and Veras was an ok 2nd baseman. Boone was shipped out after just 1 year because of bumping heads with Bobby.

Supposedly all 3 moves were salary dump moves by the Braves but they should have been made better than they were. Not only were they salary dump moves they were clear downgrades in talent.

6 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Kevin Millwood for Johnny Estrada was a salary dump that always struck me as odd. 

I remember that one vividly. That happened because of the whole qualifying offer draft pick crap with Maddux. Braves offered Maddux the qualifying offer so they could get the draft pick when he signed somewhere else but he ****** the Braves by accepting it and that $16M salary for 1 year and it put the Braves over budget. They then dumped Millwood for Estrada because Millwood's salary was pretty high as he was in his arbitration years and had the good stats to back it up.

8 minutes ago, Brave Nu Werld said:

How about the Wainwright- Marquis- King for JD Drew and Eli Marrero trade?

Another one of the ill advised deals Schuerholz made near the end of his tenure in trying to keep the Braves train going as the Braves roster started aging. I know lots of people like to hate on Frank Wren and rightfully so but Schuerholtz started the Braves run into the ground by ill advised moves like this one. For some stupid reason JS thought Drew would take a hometown discount and sign an extension with the Braves despite Drew's agent being Scott Boras and his always wanting his players to hit the open market and take the biggest offer on the table.

3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I remember that one vividly. That happened because of the whole qualifying offer draft pick crap with Maddux. Braves offered Maddux the qualifying offer so they could get the draft pick when he signed somewhere else but he ****** the Braves by accepting it and that $16M salary for 1 year and it put the Braves over budget. They then dumped Millwood for Estrada because Millwood's salary was pretty high as he was in his arbitration years and had the good stats to back it up.

Millwood was projected to make $10M that season. Maddux put the Braves $15M over budget.

8 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Millwood was projected to make $10M that season. Maddux put the Braves $15M over budget.

Yeah. I guess the Braves played that season at $5M over budget? :shrug:

2 minutes ago, Brave Nu Werld said:

We didn't worry about budget when Ted owned the team. That made Schuerholz look better than he really was. When JS had to get creative with a tight budget, he wasn't so great. 

Ted was out as owner before then. I believe 1996 was the first year post-Ted. 

2 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Ted was out as owner before then. I believe 1996 was the first year post-Ted. 

That's one thing I don't understand. How in the world was Ted forced into giving up controlling ownership of the Braves?

16 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

That's one thing I don't understand. How in the world was Ted forced into giving up controlling ownership of the Braves?

He sold the Braves and TBS to Time Warner. Ted was vice chairman of Time Warner as part of the deal. He said he remained involved in team decisions until 2001. He just wasnt the owner.

6 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

He sold the Braves and TBS to Time Warner. Ted was vice chairman of Time Warner as part of the deal. He said he remained involved in team decisions until 2001. He just wasnt the owner.

Something happened after that though. I don't know what it was but it wasn't good because all of a sudden he was nowhere to be found. He wasn't at the games anymore or anything.

I guess he just went to heIl after Jane Fonda left him.

Cespedes Watch

Leads MLB with 6 HRs and has an OPS of 1.125. Jon Heyman said he's the only guy in baseball with an 8 Arm, 8 Baserunning, and 8 Power.

But K26dp thinks Ces isn't very good and past his prime at age 31. Lol, literally the dumbest thing ever typed on the internet.

9 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Oh cool! Never knew that.

What is mindblowing about the Mariners is that their 116 win season in 2001 came after Griffey, A-Rod and Randy Johnson all left. Amazing how you can lose 3 incredible talents like that and still have enough talent to win 116 games.

The year Bret Boone had in 2001? WOW!

.331/.372/.578 (.950) - 158 G, 690 PA, 623 AB, 118 R, 206 H, 37 2B, 3 3B, 37 HR, 141 RBI, 40 BB, 110 SO

There were a few moves the Braves made in the late 90s that I absolutely hated, but supposedly they were money driven moves.

1.) March 25, 1997 - Braves traded David Justice and Marquis Grissom to the Indians for Kenny Lofton and Alan Embree.

I absolutely hated this move. First off its odd to trade off two starting players 2 weeks before the season starts but also because loved Justice and Grissom and hated Kenny Lofton. Couldn't stand him. What makes this worse in hindsight is that Lofton and Bobby butted heads which is why Lofton became a free agent after the season he jumped ship back to the Indians and the Braves were left with nothing from this move. Justice meanwhile eventually ended as a major piece of the Yankees winning the WS in 2000.

2.) March  27, 1997 - Braves traded Jermaine Dye and Jamie Walker to the Royals for Keith Lockhart and Michael Tucker.

This move made just two days later made the Justice, Grissom trade even more absurd. Dye was a big time prospect for the Braves meanwhile Tucker had 2 very underwelming seasons with the Royals. WTF? Why did we make this move? It didn't make any sense the day it happened and 20 years later it still doesn't make any sense.

3.) December 22, 1999 - Braves traded Bret Boone, Ryan Klesko, and Jason Shiell to the Padres for Wally Joyner, Reggie Sanders and Quilvio Veras.

Hated this move the minute it was announced because Joyner was a 1st baseball that was a great defender and hit for average but didn't have any power, Sanders was never a good player and Veras was an ok 2nd baseman. Boone was shipped out after just 1 year because of bumping heads with Bobby.

Supposedly all 3 moves were salary dump moves by the Braves but they should have been made better than they were. Not only were they salary dump moves they were clear downgrades in talent.

The Justice move broke my heart.. besides Glavine, he was my fave Brave.. took me a while to get over that 

Falconsfan567 likes this

5 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

The Justice move broke my heart.. besides Glavine, he was my fave Brave.. took me a while to get over that 

Same here. I cried when that happened. I loved Justice. He was my favorite Brave.

Bronson Arroyo told the media in Cincy he's giving himself 2 more starts to see better stuff. He didn't say what he would do but sounded like he might be ready to walk away if things don't get better. He's only two starts into his comeback. He's allowed 11 runs and 13 hits in 10 innings.