Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheTrue7

April Hawks thread

216 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Willy Mo said:

It's been awhile. I'm really loving what this team is starting to look like.

Our core seems pretty good:

Dennis - Great driver, sees the floor well, plays very good defense, but, needs to get a better shot and fix his turnover problem though. Nothing this season has shown me he can't be our PG of the future. Remember, this is the first time he's getting a full-time job. He'll get better.

Im sorta with you as long as he gets the turnover problem under control.. he also needs to work on his PNR game.. I know a lot feel it's Dwight but I've seen Sap, Ersan, THJ, and even Jose run it with him effectively.. 

THJR - I remember myself and everyone else on this forum completely ripping Bud when we traded Oubre for him in the draft. Now we all probably feel stupid. Timmy has shown this season that he can be a legitimate #1 option when he gets hot. His shooting and driving ability are the best on the team, and he makes great passes as well. He seems to be a pretty solid defender as well. What he needs to do is turn those "hot nights" into "every night". He can be like our version of Bradley Beal in the future. Just healthier. I definitely want to see him and Dennis as our backcourt going forward. 

I did complain but it was more like why did we trade a 1st rounder for a guy who's riding the pine? Agreed on everything else

Tauren Prince - This kid has been everything he was billed to be back when we all wanted to draft him. Great defender, great shooter, good on the glass, smart on offense, just a great all-around player who plays hard every night. I love it.

He is definitely well on his way, but his shot could use some work.. as well as his ability to finish at the rim.. 

Baze - See above

sorry man, Baze seems like the odd man out.. he's a great sixth man just not at the price

Millsap - Still our best player, and considering how great our young pieces are, I'm really not sure if I want him gone this offseason or not. Part of me wants him gone so we can develop our young guys better, another part of me loves his game and attitude so much that I want him to retire here. Whatever contract he demands will decide this

I personally hope he stays but at a reasonable price.. if he does, it would make it easier to get another star here.. 

Dwight - In the twilight of his career, and has done well given the circumstances. He's staying no matter what so I say definitely keep him. 

Agreed

Muscala - I am in love with this kid. He's been hurt all year, but when he has played, he's been one of our best all-around players. Solid shooter, solid rebounder, solid defender, pretty much done well in every aspect of the game. He's your quintessential stretch 4 for today's NBA. Keep him.

This guy FINALLY came around in the past week.. If he shows up like this in the playoffs, definitely.. 

Malcolm Delaney - He stands out as someone who is painfully average. Does a lot of things well but excels at nothing. But, since he's a backup player, that's actually a good thing. Keep him.  

Feel we could do better here, but he's definitely done better in the past couple of games 

Bembry - Hasn't played much, but has been very impressive in his few minutes. He definitely seems to live up to his gadget player reputation. Keep this kid and you can develop him into a backup/starting guard/forward for the future. Endless potential. 

Really like him.. someone brought up the fact he ran point back in college too.. if he works on his shot, sky is the limit

Thabo, Jose, Kelly, Ersan, Humphries, Mike - All of these guys can go. They just don't fit. Though I wouldn't be upset of Thabo or Ersan stayed around.

I like Ersan and Jose.. Ersan because of his ability to guard bigs and make the 3.. Jose's savvy veteran leadership 

All in all, this Hawks core looks like a great young group

Dennis, Delaney, Bembry, Baze, THJR, Tauren, and Moose make for some really awesome young pieces.

For the first time in awhile, I am excited about the Hawks future. Not just the present.

By the way... PAY THAT MAN!!!! Both Tim and Musky. 

Drew4719 likes this

These past two games showed me that we can do without a couple of players. I love Thabo, he's a great defender, but Bembry has shown to be a very capable defender who just needs to develop his offensive repertoire. Prince is a little rough around the edges which is to be expected of a rookie, but you can see the potential. That also, as @TheTrue7 pointed out, leaves Baze as the odd man out. He's simply too expensive for what he brings to the table and at this point would better serve as a bargaining chip to open up cap space and acquire draft picks.

I'm still not sold on Schroder. He's growing up in this system but he's still making rookie mistakes. How is it that Delaney, a rookie, was favored over Schroder in key 4th quarter possessions against the Cavs that call for veteran leadership and know how? Schroder is too impatient and quite frankly unravels in pressure situations. He still can't consistently distinguish a situation in which he can drive to the basket from another in which he needs to pull up and shoot. Schroder's best attribute is that he's fast and that's it. We'll see.

TheTrue7 and Spts1 like this

Excuses, Excuses

Cavaliers express frustration at officials after 26-point meltdown

Kevin Pelton

ESPN.com | 9:37 PM ET

ATLANTA -- After failing to protect a 26-point fourth-quarter lead in their 126-125 overtime loss to the Atlanta Hawks on Sunday, several members of the Cleveland Cavaliers found fault in the officials for contributing to their collapse.

"It wasn't a foul on my sixth foul," said LeBron James, who fouled out with 1:52 remaining in overtime and the Cavs up by three, for contact with Atlanta's Paul Millsap while jostling for rebounding position. "I knew I had five [fouls]. I knew the ball was going long. So I may have grazed Millsap a little bit, but I mean, throughout the course of a game [that happens]. I didn't push him or anything like that."

It was the second time this season that James has fouled out, and that is the most in any season of his 14-year career, according to ESPN Stats & Information. He also fouled out in the Cavs' 140-135 overtime win in February in Washington. Sunday was the sixth time in his career that he fouled out of a game.

It was hardly the only call the Cavs had a problem with. There was the jump ball called when Millsap and Kent Bazemore wrapped Kyrie Irving up where the baseline met the sideline out of bounds with four seconds left in regulation. The replay showed both Millsap and Bazemore with a foot out of bounds as referee Derrick Collins rushed in and signaled for the jump ball.

"We had some bad breaks, obviously, with the jump ball," James said. "A couple of their guys were out of bounds. And then with the jump ball for Kyrie in the corner, I'm sitting right next to the ref [Leroy Richardson] and asking for a timeout, and the explanation he gave me, I never heard in my 14-year career. Never. So it doesn't take away from the fact that we still had a huge lead to start the fourth, but every play counts, no matter what is going on."

James was asked to share the explanation that Richardson gave him for turning down his timeout request.

"He told me that I'm not allowed to call timeout because he didn't know who had possession of the ball," James said. "And I was the one who entered the ball to Kyrie. And as soon as I seen Millsap go trap Kyrie in the short corner, I looked at him and called timeout twice -- at least twice -- and he wasn't even paying me no attention. And that's when the jump ball happened. I said, 'Why?' He said, 'I can't call timeout because I don't know who has possession of the ball. I don't know what's going on. I don't know the tie up.' I said, 'That doesn't make any sense because we have the ball. I entered the ball to Kyrie, so you shouldn't even be worried about the tie up or not. I'm calling it as soon as I saw Kyrie is getting tied up in the corner.' So I've never heard that one before. I've never heard that explanation before in my life."

Richardson also called James for a five-second infraction when he was inbounding the ball with 18 seconds left in regulation and the Cavs up 109-105.

"It was pretty quick," James said of the call.

One member of the Cavs could be heard uttering "f---ing Leroy Richardson" outside the visitor's locker room after the game.

Cavs coach Tyronn Lue refrained from commenting on the officiating, only shaking his head in agreement that there were several tough calls that did not go in his team's favor.

"Jumping out to that lead, being up 26, that's who we are and that's how we're capable of playing. Everything went wrong for us in that fourth quarter. Every single thing. From inbounding the ball to jump balls, to whatever. Hats off to those guys, they did a good job of coming back in that fourth," Lue said.

There were also two block-charge calls that went against the Cavs in overtime. The first came with 42.1 seconds left, when Kevin Love was initially called for a charge on Mike Dunleavy that would have been Love's sixth foul and forced him out of the game.

The NBA's replay center overturned the ruling on the floor because Dunleavy's feet were inside the restricted circle, but Love, an 87.3 percent free throw shooter this season, went just 1-for-2 from the line following the time spent on the review.

"It was good it got turned over, but missing that first free throw was tough for us because [Mike] Muscala hit that 3 in the corner, which gave them the one-point lead and that eventually kicked them over the top for the rest of the way," Love said. "So it was tough."

Irving was called for an offensive foul shortly thereafter, with Cleveland trailing 123-120 with 12.3 seconds remaining, for making contact with Millsap, who slid over to take a charge from the Cavs' guard.

"How much is the fine for talking about the refs?" Irving said when asked about that charge call. "It's like $50 [thousand], $25? Not worth it. Not worth it, so sorry. I had some good conversation with the refs -- just a few plays that didn't go our way. That's not the kind of the first step that led to the breakdown of what happened in that fourth quarter and why it extended the game. There were some things that could've gone a different way but didn't, and now we just got to move on from here."

Despite the loss, the Cavaliers said they are ready for the postseason.

"We'll be ready. Yup. We'll be ready when it get here," James said. "We still have some things to do with two games left, but yeah, we'll be ready."

If Schroder could just become a pass first PG, we would be in much better shape. He will get better though. 

And this offense can work with Dwight. I would love to see an offense similar to what the Magic ran when they were good. 

TheTrue7 likes this

7 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

@True7 see what happens when you start the thread. :tiphat:

You had good months.. but let me go ahead and do something real quick.   :)

blkbigdog35 likes this

8 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Excuses, Excuses

Cavaliers express frustration at officials after 26-point meltdown

Kevin Pelton

ESPN.com | 9:37 PM ET

ATLANTA -- After failing to protect a 26-point fourth-quarter lead in their 126-125 overtime loss to the Atlanta Hawks on Sunday, several members of the Cleveland Cavaliers found fault in the officials for contributing to their collapse.

"It wasn't a foul on my sixth foul," said LeBron James, who fouled out with 1:52 remaining in overtime and the Cavs up by three, for contact with Atlanta's Paul Millsap while jostling for rebounding position. "I knew I had five [fouls]. I knew the ball was going long. So I may have grazed Millsap a little bit, but I mean, throughout the course of a game [that happens]. I didn't push him or anything like that."

It was the second time this season that James has fouled out, and that is the most in any season of his 14-year career, according to ESPN Stats & Information. He also fouled out in the Cavs' 140-135 overtime win in February in Washington. Sunday was the sixth time in his career that he fouled out of a game.

It was hardly the only call the Cavs had a problem with. There was the jump ball called when Millsap and Kent Bazemore wrapped Kyrie Irving up where the baseline met the sideline out of bounds with four seconds left in regulation. The replay showed both Millsap and Bazemore with a foot out of bounds as referee Derrick Collins rushed in and signaled for the jump ball.

"We had some bad breaks, obviously, with the jump ball," James said. "A couple of their guys were out of bounds. And then with the jump ball for Kyrie in the corner, I'm sitting right next to the ref [Leroy Richardson] and asking for a timeout, and the explanation he gave me, I never heard in my 14-year career. Never. So it doesn't take away from the fact that we still had a huge lead to start the fourth, but every play counts, no matter what is going on."

James was asked to share the explanation that Richardson gave him for turning down his timeout request.

"He told me that I'm not allowed to call timeout because he didn't know who had possession of the ball," James said. "And I was the one who entered the ball to Kyrie. And as soon as I seen Millsap go trap Kyrie in the short corner, I looked at him and called timeout twice -- at least twice -- and he wasn't even paying me no attention. And that's when the jump ball happened. I said, 'Why?' He said, 'I can't call timeout because I don't know who has possession of the ball. I don't know what's going on. I don't know the tie up.' I said, 'That doesn't make any sense because we have the ball. I entered the ball to Kyrie, so you shouldn't even be worried about the tie up or not. I'm calling it as soon as I saw Kyrie is getting tied up in the corner.' So I've never heard that one before. I've never heard that explanation before in my life."

Richardson also called James for a five-second infraction when he was inbounding the ball with 18 seconds left in regulation and the Cavs up 109-105.

"It was pretty quick," James said of the call.

One member of the Cavs could be heard uttering "f---ing Leroy Richardson" outside the visitor's locker room after the game.

Cavs coach Tyronn Lue refrained from commenting on the officiating, only shaking his head in agreement that there were several tough calls that did not go in his team's favor.

"Jumping out to that lead, being up 26, that's who we are and that's how we're capable of playing. Everything went wrong for us in that fourth quarter. Every single thing. From inbounding the ball to jump balls, to whatever. Hats off to those guys, they did a good job of coming back in that fourth," Lue said.

There were also two block-charge calls that went against the Cavs in overtime. The first came with 42.1 seconds left, when Kevin Love was initially called for a charge on Mike Dunleavy that would have been Love's sixth foul and forced him out of the game.

The NBA's replay center overturned the ruling on the floor because Dunleavy's feet were inside the restricted circle, but Love, an 87.3 percent free throw shooter this season, went just 1-for-2 from the line following the time spent on the review.

"It was good it got turned over, but missing that first free throw was tough for us because [Mike] Muscala hit that 3 in the corner, which gave them the one-point lead and that eventually kicked them over the top for the rest of the way," Love said. "So it was tough."

Irving was called for an offensive foul shortly thereafter, with Cleveland trailing 123-120 with 12.3 seconds remaining, for making contact with Millsap, who slid over to take a charge from the Cavs' guard.

"How much is the fine for talking about the refs?" Irving said when asked about that charge call. "It's like $50 [thousand], $25? Not worth it. Not worth it, so sorry. I had some good conversation with the refs -- just a few plays that didn't go our way. That's not the kind of the first step that led to the breakdown of what happened in that fourth quarter and why it extended the game. There were some things that could've gone a different way but didn't, and now we just got to move on from here."

Despite the loss, the Cavaliers said they are ready for the postseason.

"We'll be ready. Yup. We'll be ready when it get here," James said. "We still have some things to do with two games left, but yeah, we'll be ready."

Weird they only talk about one quarter and only the calls against them... there were as many if not more against us.. but that's what they do.. cry

IMG_0427.JPG

Drew4719 and blkbigdog35 like this

3 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

Weird they only talk about one quarter and only the calls against them... there were as many if not more against us.. but that's what they do.. cry

IMG_0427.JPG

Yep, and like that old saying, "Karma is a B1tch". ;)

18 hours ago, Willy Mo said:

You're acting as if he's on a one year contract and won't ever get better.

Baze has streaky offense but plays very good defense and can still space the floor and make athletic plays when needed.

What needs to happen to fix him is a.) Get better at dribbling the ball or b.) Make the offense more suited around drives from Dennis/THJR and have him spot up more

The only reason Baze looks bad a lot is because he dribbles too much and forces the issue when he has the ball. He needs to play more like Thabo. Less like Dennis. 

He's a spot up 3&D guy, and I honestly can't help but blame Bud for not telling him to stop dribbling so much. Maybe next offseason he'll develop an off the dribble game, but right now he's just a more athletic DeMarre.

17.5 million for some points and defense.  I will pass.  I hope we use him for trade bit like Jimmy butler, Bembry and Draft Picks then Prince can become the sixth man.  Just a thought.  You can crush me now.  

blkbigdog35, Drew4719 and Spts1 like this

19 hours ago, Willy Mo said:

You're acting as if he's on a one year contract and won't ever get better.

Baze has streaky offense but plays very good defense and can still space the floor and make athletic plays when needed.

What needs to happen to fix him is a.) Get better at dribbling the ball or b.) Make the offense more suited around drives from Dennis/THJR and have him spot up more

The only reason Baze looks bad a lot is because he dribbles too much and forces the issue when he has the ball. He needs to play more like Thabo. Less like Dennis. 

He's a spot up 3&D guy, and I honestly can't help but blame Bud for not telling him to stop dribbling so much. Maybe next offseason he'll develop an off the dribble game, but right now he's just a more athletic DeMarre.

Baze got better, then got worse. Frankly, at the moment he's not good enough for me to be starting. There are bench players who don't make as much as he does but average more points and play good defense.

Spts1, blkbigdog35, Drew4719 and 1 other like this

21 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

He almost missed that layup when he got the steal, smfh.

lmao.   Bazemore can't shoot, period. He always missing layups.  THE FIRST SIGN i knew Bud didn't know what he was doing as a gm was when they signed Bazemore to that big contract...

tl;dr and blkbigdog35 like this

18 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

These past two games showed me that we can do without a couple of players. I love Thabo, he's a great defender, but Bembry has shown to be a very capable defender who just needs to develop his offensive repertoire. Prince is a little rough around the edges which is to be expected of a rookie, but you can see the potential. That also, as @TheTrue7 pointed out, leaves Baze as the odd man out. He's simply too expensive for what he brings to the table and at this point would better serve as a bargaining chip to open up cap space and acquire draft picks.

I'm still not sold on Schroder. He's growing up in this system but he's still making rookie mistakes. How is it that Delaney, a rookie, was favored over Schroder in key 4th quarter possessions against the Cavs that call for veteran leadership and know how? Schroder is too impatient and quite frankly unravels in pressure situations. He still can't consistently distinguish a situation in which he can drive to the basket from another in which he needs to pull up and shoot. Schroder's best attribute is that he's fast and that's it. We'll see.

Scroder and Bazemore are the same player. Terrible jumpers, no midrange, just wild drives for layups...  A lot of wasted resources on those two...trade them both...

No.11 likes this

1 hour ago, slickgadawg said:

lmao.   Bazemore can't shoot, period. He always missing layups.  THE FIRST SIGN i knew Bud didn't know what he was doing as a gm was when they signed Bazemore to that big contract...

I think he is an average player that should be your 6th or 7th man off the bench. Hopefully Bud want make anymore mistakes with inflated contracts.

Drew4719 and Spts1 like this

that game yesterday  was amazing my son gave up I started complaining but I still watched the game we still watched the game and **** the boys came through 

18 minutes ago, UGABOZ said:

that game yesterday  was amazing my son gave up I started complaining but I still watched the game we still watched the game and **** the boys came through 

Keep the faith!