Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kung Fu Kenny

The pass rusher we need Takk McKinley

81 posts in this topic

Daniel Jeremiah on McKinley

McKinley is an undersized player that projects to outside linebacker at the next level. He split time standing up and putting his hand in the ground in UCLA’s scheme. He is a dynamic edge rusher because of his elite get-off and burst. He wins early with speed and he has an explosive inside counter move as well. He is very smooth changing directions and can bend and wrap around the edge. Against the run, he flashes some stack-and-shed ability but he will also get pushed around at times. He is at his best when he’s shooting gaps and relying on his quickness. Overall, McKinley could struggle on run downs but he’s a major force on passing downs. He has double-digit sack potential.

Takkarist McKinley’s shoulder injury didn’t stop him from standing out at UCLA's pro day

The pass rusher could be a first-round pick, but he doesn't care where the mock drafts have him going.

LOS ANGELES — Takkarist McKinley met a lot of people at the UCLA pro day Tuesday, but most of the handshakes were awkward. With his right arm in a sling, the All-Pac-12 pass rusher had to turn his left hand upside down every time people walked up to introduce themselves.

And there were a lot of them.

With just over a month until the 2017 NFL draft begins, McKinley was in demand at the pro day — even if recent surgery meant he could only watch from the sideline. The operation repaired a torn labrum and will keep him out of action for the next four months, but NFL personnel and media still want to talk to the potential first-round pick.

“I still have visits set, but the biggest thing I’m worried about is my rehab and I’m hitting it hard,” McKinley said. “The doctor just cleared me to drive again only two weeks out of surgery so that’s a plus. Each day I’m getting better, and just sticking with the plan to get healthy.”

That plan should end with McKinley fully healthy and ready to participate in training camp at the end of summer. Where that will be is tough to tell.

In a survey of media mock drafts, McKinley is projected all over the first round, landing anywhere from No. 7 to the Los Angeles Chargers to No. 31 to the Atlanta Falcons. In the latest mock draft from ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr., McKinley is slated in the top 10 to the Cincinnati Bengals.

“I honestly don’t care where people got me,” McKinley said. “Mock drafts are mock drafts and at the end of the day it’s all about that one team that’ll pick me up and that’s all I’m worried about. They’re not the team that’s picking me. Who’s picking me is a team in the NFL, not mock draft analysts.”

McKinley certainly isn’t lacking in confidence. While he was one of the top performers at his position at the NFL Combine in the 40-yard dash and broad jump, he feels he could’ve done more.

“I grade myself pretty high so there were a few things I wish I could’ve done better,” McKinley said. “But the combine is the combine. At the end of the day, it’s what you do between the lines and I feel like I’m the biggest playmaker in the class.”

On the field, McKinley blossomed from a junior college transfer who had seven sacks and 11 tackles for loss in his first two seasons at UCLA, to a nightmare off the edge with 10 sacks and 18 tackles for loss as a senior in 2016. But the promise of even more is what makes McKinley intriguing.

“We take a lot of pride in sending guys out here that aren’t raw, but Takk — even with all the success he’s had — really just kinda started playing that position,” UCLA coach Jim L. Mora said. “So he’s still got good upside and I think that scouts and decision makers recognize that and love that about him.”

What may be especially impressive is McKinley’s production as a senior came despite the shoulder injury that required surgery earlier in March.

“Played with it my entire senior year, never knew anything was wrong with it,” McKinley told reporters at the NFL Combine. “One day my agent asked me, 'Is there anything wrong?' I said I got this little shoulder that sometimes bothers me. Got an MRI. Doctor was pretty much amazed that I played with it. Me, I just told my trainers at UCLA just tape me up, I'm ready to go.”

Even with the knowledge that he was days away from surgery, McKinley participated in all drills at the event, including putting up an impressive 24 reps on the bench press.

In the last month before the draft gets started, McKinley won’t be doing any more bench press. But he’s done more than enough for NFL teams to take notice, and it likely means his name will come off the board quickly in April.

dmo_dlo likes this

Steelers and a few other teams seem to have interest in him. With his rehab possibly extending until the summer and him not working out for teams, he might fall to the 2nd. 

52 minutes ago, atlbaby said:

Steelers and a few other teams seem to have interest in him. With his rehab possibly extending until the summer and him not working out for teams, he might fall to the 2nd. 

This is where Quinn's relationship with former boss Jim Mora Jr and film comes in handy. Mora knows the kind of lineman Quinn prefers from their time with the Seahawks.

BIRDLAND 2.0 likes this

So this is off topic but since I cannot start a thread yet I will leave this here.

The Falcons season ticket department is absolute TRASH!!!!

First, the ticket payment is due the 31st of March and I have yet to receive an email. There department is absolutely terrible at responding back to emails. 

Second, there online user interface to view your tickets and psl is completely and utterly terrible. This is 2017 and their interface is a complete joke. 

41 minutes ago, fourty4 said:

This is where Quinn's relationship with former boss Jim Mora Jr and film comes in handy. Mora knows the kind of lineman Quinn prefers from their time with the Seahawks.

Wasnt he coming in as Ulrich was coming our way.  He might have insight as well.

Tak in my top 3 because his skills need so much work but he still produced with the top level guys while not having near their starting experience.0

Kung Fu Kenny likes this

4 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

Wasnt he coming in as Ulrich was coming our way.  He might have insight as well.

Tak in my top 3 because his skills need so much work but he still produced with the top level guys while not having near their starting experience.0

They spent Takk sophomore year together 

1 hour ago, Falcanuck said:

Sorry man but he's just not very good

What about his game isn't unappealing? His burst? His finish? His relentless effort? His motivation? It's too soon after 2 seasons in the league to label someone a bust, much less definitively label them as such before they are even drafted 

22 minutes ago, Dem Birds said:

What about his game isn't unappealing? His burst? His finish? His relentless effort? His motivation? It's too soon after 2 seasons in the league to label someone a bust, much less definitively label them as such before they are even drafted 

How raw he is.

36 minutes ago, Dem Birds said:

He beat people in college because he was more athletic than them. The NFL requires at least an ounce of technique. 

4 hours ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Awful 3 cone...enough said...

He's gonna make money off that 40 time....but 3 cone and broad jump are way more important...

Compare his 3 cone and broad jump to former Seahawks Chris Clemons and let me know

6 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

He beat people in college because he was more athletic than them. The NFL requires at least an ounce of technique. 

So basically like Beasley and how Freeney and Quinn had to help him

21 minutes ago, fourty4 said:

Compare his 3 cone and broad jump to former Seahawks Chris Clemons and let me know

Clemons didnt have a double digit sack year until his 6th season in the league on his 4th NFL team....and yes, Clemons had a horrible 3 cone at 235lbs at his Pro Day 7.48...wouldnt take him at all...

Its all about 3 cone, 10 split and BJ when looking at DE athleticism....

Im not taking a 1st round guy that doesnt have great athleticism unless he has amazing production at the highest level (SEC) - ie. Derek Barnett....and even then....Im weary about it...

Just now, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Clemons didnt have a double digit sack year until his 6th season in the league on his 4th NFL team....and yes, Clemons had a horrible 3 cone at 235lbs at his Pro Day 7.48...wouldnt take him at all...

Its all about 3 cone, 10 split and BJ when looking at DE athleticism....

Im not taking a 1st round guy that doesnt have great athleticism unless he has amazing production at the highest level (SEC) - ie. Derek Barnett....and even then....Im weary about it...

Yeah he didn't have a double digit sack year until Quinn got a hold of him and than he went on to have two more following that.

Fyi his 10 yard split was good.

Chitown2ATL_Falcon likes this

2 minutes ago, fourty4 said:

Yeah he didn't have a double digit sack year until Quinn got a hold of him and than he went on to have two more following that.

Fyi his 10 yard split was good.

1.72 split? Not impressive at 236lbs...he went undrafted....for reference, Willis was 1.59 this year.

And for the record: DQ was only in SEA his first year with SEA (11 sacks) and his last year with SEA (4 sacks).

Considering it was his first season as a starter...he was bound to increase his numbers based on statistical probability....

Yap all you want...I dont like Tak McKinley...and comparing him to an average NFL athlete that was undrafted, took 6 NFL seasons before notching double digit sacks, and loosely connecting him to our HC isnt going to change my mind on Tak....

The guy is injured and cant do private workouts for teams either...so go ahead and add him to the NOT GONNA BE A FALCON list....