Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirtyBird8711

Falcons Reaping Huge Benefits at LB

14 posts in this topic

This highlights the hidden value of drafting players over bringing in big dollar free agents.

Rookie Contracts = Hidden Value

If you draft well, you get players like Grady Jarrett, Vic Beasley, Devnta Freeman, Coleman etc playing at a high level for peanuts on rookie contracts. This allows you to resign your veterans who have clearly earned their new contracts.

You also know for a fact how much value a player coming off a rookie contract brings to the team and you can either pay him accordingly or lose him in FA for a possible compensatory pick. As we've al,,seen there is huge risk bringing in a player from outside with a bloated contract. Byrd in New Orleans is a prime example.

I think the biggest difference in the current Falcon org vs the past falcon org is the revamp they did on the scouting dept.  

The FA's we've brought in are better, the Drafts are much better.

I see us adding youth & speed to the Defense again this year with the offensive focus being O-Line.  

kiwifalcon likes this

5 minutes ago, RichardCNile said:

I think the biggest difference in the current Falcon org vs the past falcon org is the revamp they did on the scouting dept.  

I see us adding youth & speed to the Defense again this year with the offensive focus being O-Line.  

If you mean the revamp of the scouting department was hiring Dan Quinn as the coach, I agree. The guy knows exactly what he wants at each position and how the parts work together. It seems like a completely different organization since he got here, especially in regards to player aquisition.

Dirtybird3 likes this

26 minutes ago, RichardCNile said:

17 minutes ago, mike11571 said:

If you mean the revamp of the scouting department was hiring Dan Quinn as the coach, I agree. The guy knows exactly what he wants at each position and how the parts work together. It seems like a completely different organization since he got here, especially in regards to player aquisition.

Quinn'd. :tiphat:

The Martyr likes this

27 minutes ago, mike11571 said:

Ya, DQ certainly gets the bulk of the credit, but about 2 years ago, after they brought in Scott Pioli (sp?) they also revamped (fired and hired) their scouts.  I think that's a big part of the puzzle.  DQ of course sets the tone and big picture of "I want this and that in this position" but then it's up to the scouts to say "Check out these 3 guys."  

1 hour ago, RichardCNile said:

Ya, DQ certainly gets the bulk of the credit, but about 2 years ago, after they brought in Scott Pioli (sp?) they also revamped (fired and hired) their scouts.  I think that's a big part of the puzzle.  DQ of course sets the tone and big picture of "I want this and that in this position" but then it's up to the scouts to say "Check out these 3 guys."  

Exactly. Quinn gets the majority of the credit, and rightfully so, but the Falcons drafting turn around actually began in 2013. Quinn just managed to take it to the next level.

• Desmond Trufant
  • Robert Alford
  • Levine Toilolo
  • Kemal Ishmael

• Jake Matthews
  • Ra'Shede Hageman
  • Devonta Freeman
  • Ricardo Allen

• Vic Beasley
  • Jalen Collins
  • Tevin Coleman
  • Justin Hardy
  • Grady Jarrett

• Keanu Neal
  • Deion Jones
  • Austin Hooper
  • De'Vondre Campbell

That's 17 key contributors drafted in the last 4 years. Now coaching, Dan Quinn's coaching has gotten the number that high. Ricardo Allen is the perfect example of that. A guy that Smitty cut and Quinn brings back and makes into a decent starting free safety. That's coaching!!

3 hours ago, gazoo said:

This highlights the hidden value of drafting players over bringing in big dollar free agents.

Rookie Contracts = Hidden Value

If you draft well, you get players like Grady Jarrett, Vic Beasley, Devnta Freeman, Coleman etc playing at a high level for peanuts on rookie contracts. This allows you to resign your veterans who have clearly earned their new contracts.

You also know for a fact how much value a player coming off a rookie contract brings to the team and you can either pay him accordingly or lose him in FA for a possible compensatory pick.

I hope to see this on the OL this year Gazoo, at least I've made it known already this is how I'd like to see us continue to build it

gazoo likes this

4 hours ago, RichardCNile said:

Yep.

3 hours ago, mike11571 said:

Yep also DQ was huge without a doubt.

Also Pioli and the other experienced guys added behind the scenes to help TD have know doubt been a huge help aswell.

6 hours ago, papachaz said:

I hope to see this on the OL this year Gazoo, at least I've made it known already this is how I'd like to see us continue to build it

Indeed. We have Mathews playing on a rookie contract that will expire where we will have to pay up big time so we could use a RG playing on a rookie contract for the next 4 years to offset the Mathews contract. Of course, pass rusher is right up there in need so not sure how well,go.

in this exact situation, needing pass rushers and OGs, Reeves would select a TE with our first Pick ;)

Vandy, DirtyBird8711 and papachaz like this