DT JARRETT COULD BE ATLANTA'S BREAKOUT PLAYER IN 2017

birdz4i

Posted 1 hour ago

Andrew Hirsh

atlantafalcons.comTwitter

Grady Jarrett's strong finish last winter, which culminated with a dominating performance in Super Bowl 51, could lead to a monster season in 2017.

Last June, Grady Jarretticon-article-link.gif told AtlantaFalcons.com he wanted to become a master of his craft. His objective, he said, was to become an every-down defensive tackle, one who could succeed in base 4-3 and nickel packages.

The 2015 draft pick took a big step toward his ultimate goal last season.

As they worked their way to Houston, the Falcons utilized Jarrett in most situations, as he played 762 defensive snaps. He continued to be stout against the run, and he developed as a pass rusher, too – as evident by his three sacks in SBLI, tied for the most in Super Bowl history.

That progress has made him a popular breakout candidate in 2017. And, based on one of his latest tweets, Jarrett appears set on taking that next step.

Jarrett finished the 2016 regular season with 48 tackles, exactly twice as many as his rookie campaign, and three sacks. His 18 stops against the run were the 16th-most among interior linemen, according to Pro Football Focus, tied with Tampa star Gerald and one behind Philadelphia’s Fletcher Cox.

Jarrett also recorded nine QB hits and 34 QB pressures, good for ninth and 10th at his position, respectively.

“Grady Jarrett has been understandably for us a leader and has really emerged,” head coach Dan Quinn said in January. “We saw those traits in him when we drafted him. It certainly was that way for him coming out of Clemson. We knew early on, even though he was a rookie he had some of the right stuff to develop into a leader. As he’s [finished up] his second year here, that grew even stronger and stronger.”

That growth was evident as the year wore on. In Atlanta’s last seven games before the playoffs, Jarrett matched his tackle total from 2015 (24). Additionally, he earned 13 total pressures in the playoffs – five more than any other DT. The only NFL player with more pressures during the postseason was Dwight Freeney, per PFF.

"We looked at him at him as a versatile D-lineman who, though he was not the biggest guy or the tallest guy, he had the versatility for us to shoot the gaps and play an element of the run -- which he can do -- and also continue to give us some pass rush," general manager Thomas Dimitroff said.

"Too often, interior guys don't give you the pass rush he has. But he has the ability to slice through the gap, and he's got a short-area quick burst that was very impressive for us. We expected him to come in and have an element of rush ability from the inside."

Along with another year of experience under his belt, Jarrett stands to benefit from Atlanta’s biggest free agent acquisition – figuratively and literally – in Dontari Poeicon-article-link.gif. The mammoth defensive tackle will likely spend a lot of time lined up next to Jarrett in 2017, and in the process, he could take on plenty of double teams, opening up space for Jarrett (and others) to maneuver.

“That’s awesome,” Jarrett told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution about the Poe signing. “That makes us a better team and a better defensive line. It will be good to definitely have him on board.

“It’s definitely an exciting time for us, getting new guys to come and join our team. We want to get better as a unit. We need to improve. I’m looking forward to working to the new guys.”

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/blog/article-1/DT-Jarrett-Could-Be-Atlantas-Breakout-Player-in-2017/d832fdb9-54ee-4cc1-8aa4-1079f2415b78

23 years old, coming off a performance for the ages in the superbowl for a DT, heading into his third year as a pro, playing next to Dontari Poe...yeah, I would agree Grady is going to eat this year.  Thanks to all other franchises for passing him over 4-5 times in the draft :tiphat:

Idk about you guys, but when LI MVP voting was going on, I casted my vote for him. Anyone else feel that way?

Also, what kind of nickname do we give to someone who's son of The hammer? Glad he's a Falcon

Edited by Coeus

34 minutes ago, athell said:

23 years old, coming off a performance for the ages in the superbowl for a DT, heading into his third year as a pro, playing next to Dontari Poe...yeah, I would agree Grady is going to eat this year.  Thanks to all other franchises for passing him over 4-5 times in the draft :tiphat:

Eat dog eat!636219704797593375-Patriots-Falcons-Supe

1 hour ago, FalcanFanatic93 said:

I think Cj Goodwin finds a way to breakout this year personally. Listening how many times DQ mentions his talent.

I think if they move him to FS he's gonna ball out.  His speed and length will cause problems.  i like how he was able to transition from WR to CB so easily....should be able to make the move to FS.

42 minutes ago, JAxxSmooth said:

I think if they move him to FS he's gonna ball out.  His speed and length will cause problems.  i like how he was able to transition from WR to CB so easily....should be able to make the move to FS.

Yea that would be pretty cool, but the transition to Fs would be a bit harder. Safety is a much more complex postion than corner. And instincts are key. Either way I think he could have sucess at any position

3 hours ago, athell said:

Grady should write Poe into his will if Poe delivers. Jackson will be a QB sack/hurry psycho next season.

3 hours ago, FalcanFanatic93 said:

Yea that would be pretty cool, but the transition to Fs would be a bit harder. Safety is a much more complex postion than corner. And instincts are key. Either way I think he could have sucess at any position

Whomever has the best DB instincts and athleticism is usually the FS. Or would at least excel at the position. You have to cover a lot a ground and know how to play in space which is pretty difficult. You can't really develop those instincts either.

His production from DT was outstanding last year considering it got increasingly better throughout the season and into playoffs.

DTs like him are very hard to find and the fact we got him in the 5th round still blows me away. 

Considering all those pressures and hits during regular season leading up tom3 sacks in Super Bowl he is getting better and better. He very well could break out with double digit sacks next year playing next to Poe folks.

If he does, he'll be compared to Warren Sapp

3 minutes ago, Sui_Generis said:

Truth. For those of you that don't believe this just go ask Brady. This kid beasted. ****, hate even thinking about that game. 

I 100021% agree.  I think he had one of the absolute best games in Falcons history. He dang near doubled his career sack total that game.  Tied the record.  Etc... 

I think Jarrett is a legit threat to hit double digit sacks this coming season. Watching him play is so fun.  Becoming hard not to lately.  He's so incredibly hard to keep engaged in a block. If he can hit a big pro bowl year sure it's a breakout. I just don't think the league will be surprised.