Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SirrDooley

Can anyone reference this article back to our current defense??

32 posts in this topic

3 tech = Babs/Hags

1 tech = Jarrett mainly and I think Tjax played here some

4 tech = Clayborn and Tjax played here some as well. Shelby would also mix in here as well.

LEO = Beasley/Reed

SAM = Beasley and I think Wheeler mixed in here as well.

This isn't comprehensive as a lot of our guys can play multiple spots.

BIRDLAND 2.0 and SirrDooley like this

Current (coming season):

3 tech = Jarrett, Upshaw, Hageman

1 tech = Poe, Jarrett, Hageman

4 tech = Shelby, Clay (in nickel)

LEO = Clayborn, Freeney (last year and this season if he signs)

SAM = Beasely, Reed

AKA all of the Falcons DTs can play both positions and most of the DEs can play both SAM and LEO interchangeably. I would say moving forward, the Falcons would benefit from Beasley playing more LEO, so to have the SAM play a more diverse role than rushing 90% of the time. The team could also benefit from adding another 4-tech -- a strong, edge setting, big DE. A guy like TJ Watt would look good here.

BIRDLAND 2.0 and SirrDooley like this

1 hour ago, Falcanuck said:

Current (coming season):

SAM = Beasely, Reed

AKA all of the Falcons DTs can play both positions and most of the DEs can play both SAM and LEO interchangeably. I would say moving forward, the Falcons would benefit from Beasley playing more LEO, so to have the SAM play a more diverse role than rushing 90% of the time. The team could also benefit from adding another 4-tech -- a strong, edge setting, big DE. A guy like TJ Watt would look good here.

TJ Watt and Demarcus Walker?

SirrDooley likes this

1 hour ago, Falcanuck said:

Current (coming season):

SAM = Beasely, Reed

Watt's multiple knee injuries to both knees scares the crap out of me.

James Bond 007 likes this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

Current (coming season):

SAM = Beasely, Reed

OK this what I am talking about! What kind of benefit would beastly sack to get from playing LEO? And who would we draft to be dope at SAM? 

You forgot Crawford too on there. Man and we got the draft to add to that rotation!!!

Edited by SirrDooley

5 hours ago, SirrDooley said:

OK this what I am talking about! What kind of benefit would beastly sack to get from playing LEO? And who would we draft to be dope at SAM? 

You forgot Crawford too on there. Man and we got the draft to add to that rotation!!!

Oops Crawford would be a 4 - tech. Beasley at LEO would free him from coverage responsibility and would put him at wide-9 more often on passing downs. It also just means our SAM can play more like a real SAM. A dope SAM in the draft would be Reddick. Tyus Bowser another. 

6 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Watt's multiple knee injuries to both knees scares the crap out of me.

Yeah me too. I think ultimately he falls in the draft a little more than people expect because of them.

Birdy Dird and James Bond 007 like this

58 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Oops Crawford would be a 4 - tech. Beasley at LEO would free him from coverage responsibility and would put him at wide-9 more often on passing downs. It also just means our SAM can play more like a real SAM. A dope SAM in the draft would be Reddick. Tyus Bowser another. 

He plays the SAM every once in awhile but mostly he's lined up at DE on 2nd and 3rd down.

This is our base defense. Beasley doesnt play on 1st down. Your LEO players on 1st are Reed and probably Crawford.

In this D you will see ...

LEO - Reed/Crawford

3Tech - Jarrett

1Tech - Poe

5Tech - Shelby/Clayborn

Wheeler played SAM in base last year.

SirrDooley likes this

1 hour ago, abcranford2 said:

He plays the SAM every once in awhile but mostly he's lined up at DE on 2nd and 3rd down.

That's because in nickel a LBer is removed. SAM gets replaced by another DB. Hence why Beasley has his hand in the dirt and plays LE. Doesn't change the fact that he is the SAM linebacker in base.  Nickel is a completely different formation. 

Just now, Falcanuck said:

That's because in nickel a LBer is removed. SAM gets replaced by another DB. Hence why Beasley has his hand in the dirt and plays LE. Doesn't change the fact that he is the SAM linebacker in base.  Nickel is a completely different formation. 

But he doesnt play SAM in base. Wheeler did.

4 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

But we play nickel more than "base".

16 minutes ago, KCartledge85 said:

But he doesnt play SAM in base. Wheeler did.

No, he didn't. Wheeler literally never played unless Reed was hurt. 

13 minutes ago, abcranford2 said:

Because of our SAM's coverage limitations.

3 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Because of our SAM's coverage limitations.

Or because the other teams personnel dictates it

Just now, abcranford2 said:

Or because the other teams personnel dictates it

If we had a SAM that can set the edge, rush the passer and cover like Hasson Reddick, the Falcons wouldn't be "dictated" by the personnel groupings of the other team. At least not nearly as often. That's the point. 

Just now, Falcanuck said:

If we had a SAM that can set the edge, rush the passer and cover like Hasson Reddick, the Falcons wouldn't be "dictated" by the personnel groupings of the other team. At least not nearly as often. That's the point. 

I'm all for Reddick.  But getting him wouldn't keep us from playing nickel majority of the time.  That's just today's game.  I think everyone can agree we'd rather a dB cover a receiver rather than a lb.

We could disguise things more with Reddick.  Put him and Beasley on opposite sides and you don't know which ones rushing and which ones covering.  Or both rushing.

3 minutes ago, abcranford2 said:

I'm all for Reddick.  But getting him wouldn't keep us from playing nickel majority of the time.  That's just today's game.  I think everyone can agree we'd rather a dB cover a receiver rather than a lb.

We could disguise things more with Reddick.  Put him and Beasley on opposite sides and you don't know which ones rushing and which ones covering.  Or both rushing.

Your second paragraph is spot on. Only teams are well-aware that Beasley is rushing 99% of the time. Reddick, not so much. 

What we are missing is another good 3tech. This defense is predicated on the 3tech and the LEO having 1 on 1 match ups and being able to beat those match ups. 

Jarrett is a good, up and coming DT, we rotate the line so much you can't play him at 1tech and 3tech AND also rest him and expect to have good line play at the 3tech all game long. They played Claiborne at 3tech his first year and found out that just sticking someone in there doesn't work. So they moved Claiborne outside again and admitted their mistake. I thikn the same thing is going to happen with Shelby. He's an outside player being asked to play inside. Maybe Hags will actually do something this year. One shoe string tackle on Rodgers and everyone forgets he has sucked for his first 2 years.

SirrDooley likes this

1 hour ago, runshoot said:

What we are missing is another good 3tech. This defense is predicated on the 3tech and the LEO having 1 on 1 match ups and being able to beat those match ups. 

Jarrett is a good, up and coming DT, we rotate the line so much you can't play him at 1tech and 3tech AND also rest him and expect to have good line play at the 3tech all game long. They played Claiborne at 3tech his first year and found out that just sticking someone in there doesn't work. So they moved Claiborne outside again and admitted their mistake. I thikn the same thing is going to happen with Shelby. He's an outside player being asked to play inside. Maybe Hags will actually do something this year. One shoe string tackle on Rodgers and everyone forgets he has sucked for his first 2 years.

What about Crawford rotating at the 3 tech?? 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, abcranford2 said:

So in nickel we have 4 linemen and 2 lb? 

Edited by SirrDooley

55 minutes ago, SirrDooley said:

So in nickel we have 4 linemen and 2 lb? 

Correct, in nickel you take lb out and replace with a db 

SirrDooley likes this

6 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

Lawd I'd love Reddick - Jones - Campbell