LightningDawg58

How do we feel about the LB position going forward?

82 posts in this topic

Just now, TheFatboi said:

Shelby was our guy at LDE before he got hurt. He's a guy that can take up some space to let the SLB set the edge but also crush the pocket as you said if it's a pass. I think that's Quinn's ideal base line. So yes your assumption of what Quinn wants is correct. He wants a penetrating line that can also stop the run. And I love it. I love attacking defenses. 

Yeah, my favorite defenses are all 4 linemen upfield, and peppering in A gap blitzes.

All 4 linemen up field leaves you vulnerable to some longer runs, but you also get a lot of TFL putting teams behind the sticks.  I think that's a worthwhile trade-off, especially when you're forcing the offense to always move at a pace they don't like, shorten their routes, be scared.

TheFatboi likes this

1 minute ago, takeitdown said:

Yeah, my favorite defenses are all 4 linemen upfield, and peppering in A gap blitzes.

All 4 linemen up field leaves you vulnerable to some longer runs, but you also get a lot of TFL putting teams behind the sticks.  I think that's a worthwhile trade-off, especially when you're forcing the offense to always move at a pace they don't like, shorten their routes, be scared.

Absolutely. But that's also why you have a MLB that runs a 4-3 to maybe stop some of the bleeding or what could happen if a back gets free. If the dline builds off if what they did in the playoffs I'd be very surprised if we aren't top 5 defensively this season. 

takeitdown likes this

On 3/20/2017 at 10:18 PM, TheFatboi said:

Campbells instincts are fine. We'd be going backwards trying to train a rookie to play WLB vs a second year player coming off a helluva SB game. Wheeler did a good job at SLB as well. Plus he can play all the LB spots if need be. The linebacker we need to draft is a SLB. Campbell is perfect for WLB. You're supposed to make all your mistakes when your young. That's how you get better. Campbell had a helluva playoff run period. He's our WLB. 

I think Campbell is fine and he's had some games that were better than fine. Exceeded my expectations of a rookie, regardless of draft position. I'm still not sure that he's the kind of player I'd want to just hand the starting role. I'd rather have someone challenging him, and right now I don't really see that. Also, we really don't have a  3rd LB that I'd want to call a starter... Though SLB, I guess, is a lot like a DE in our system?

I think LB is still a need regardless of what people think of Campbell.

2 hours ago, rugger8 said:

I think Campbell is fine and he's had some games that were better than fine. Exceeded my expectations of a rookie, regardless of draft position. I'm still not sure that he's the kind of player I'd want to just hand the starting role. I'd rather have someone challenging him, and right now I don't really see that. Also, we really don't have a  3rd LB that I'd want to call a starter... Though SLB, I guess, is a lot like a DE in our system?

I think LB is still a need regardless of what people think of Campbell.

Linebacker IS a need but not because of jones and Campbell. It's a need for depth. We have depth at every other position except LB and FS. I expect both of those to be taken care of in the draft. 

13 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Linebacker IS a need but not because of jones and Campbell. It's a need for depth. We have depth at every other position except LB and FS. I expect both of those to be taken care of in the draft. 

Exactly

3 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

I don't have a problem with the guy, but bring in guys like Wheeler or Spoon, and you're not challenging him. I want whomever we draft to be a legit challenge to him. I'm not going to be sad if he wins an actual roster battle.