LightningDawg58

How do we feel about the LB position going forward?

82 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, athell said:

He's a RFA that won't be tendered aka he gone

He's been gone. I don't care what the websites say lol, he was released and not resigned to the practice squad. He moved back to Iowa at the beginning of the season 

athell likes this

Teams will have issues attacking our improved secondary so we will need LBers. I think the draft should go LB, DE, OG or if we have faith in what we got, OG in the first because Chester needs replacing, even if our backups are serviceable. I feel like we do have a considerable rotation at DE, so LB and OG are what we need to be covered for unfortunate injuries. 

Slappywhite likes this

To be honest with you it wouldn't surprise me if we drafted 2 LB we are veryyy thin at this position and with us having clear cut starters at the position I don't see why we can't draft depth and guys that don't have the pressure to come in and start. If last year shows you anything is that we drafted 2 LB and we could do the same thing again knowing **** well Quinn knows his LB. We are good on the D line.   Give me 3rd rounder n 7th!!

56 minutes ago, hotlanta said:

Duke Riley or Anthony Walker in the later rounds.

Riley is another quick twitch LB from LSU, was a 1 year starter, similar built to Debo. 

Anthony Walker is a name I've been hearing since last year. Had an incredible '15 season in which he posted 122 tackles, 20.5 TFL, 3 sacks, 4 pass break. Walker gained 20lbs prior to the '16 season which hurt his speed and explosiveness, could have used 5-10lbs. It's ultimately why he had a down'16 season and hurt his draft stock. Before the '16 season he was being compared to Navarro Bowman or Lavote David.

I'll have to go back and look at Duke. I think I've watched him and came away thinking he's got the physical stuff,but end up in the wrong lane too much.

Walker, always seems to be in the right place and is a thumper. I've read the same, where he gained weight and had a down season, but I've watched the 2016 game too and he still passes my eye test.

hotlanta likes this

Posted (edited)

25 minutes ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

If Jarrad Davis falls to our 3rd, Quinn has to pull the trigger.

I wouldn't be mad if he did in the 2nd...kinda doubt he makes to either.

Edited by Monolith2001

2 hours ago, Jerz said:

I think LB is still a glaring need and a further infusion of talent could pay off big time in the long run. I could see Campbell moving to SLB and letting Wheeler go. He looked good coming off the line the few times he's done it and he got a few good pressures on Brady in the SB. Jarrad Davis, Reddick, and Zach Cunningham would no doubt be impactful in Quinns defense. I hate to sound pessimistic but I always expect one of our LB's to go down for some time so I wouldn't be comfortable at all going into the season with just Jones and Campbell along with Reynolds to back them up.

Campbell isn't moving to SLB. He had a helluva game in the SB. He is the WLB Quinn likes. Long with good cover skills. Reddick I like and if he's there he's our SLB of the future. Davis from Fla is DEFINITELY a good SLB candidate. He's a Quinn type as well. 

Slappywhite, Poe_Boy and kiwifalcon like this

3 hours ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

Weren't we all comparing Tyler Starr to Clay Matthews at one point? I'm glad we aren't scouts.

If by "we all" you mean maybe Lornoth? Sure. 

rugger8 likes this

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Campbell isn't moving to SLB. He had a helluva game in the SB. He is the WLB Quinn likes. Long with good cover skills. Reddick I like and if he's there he's our SLB of the future. Davis from Fla is DEFINITELY a good SLB candidate. He's a Quinn type as well. 

Perhaps not but I can see him playing SLB a heck of a lot better than Wheeler. He's pretty good at getting off of his blocks and his size and speed aids him in pressuring the Qb on blitzes. I feel like we would fare better with a LB that has better instincts playing WLB. Davis is a missile I'd rather him play alongside Jones.

Edited by Jerz

53 minutes ago, Jerz said:

Perhaps not but I can see him playing SLB a heck of a lot better than Wheeler. He's pretty good at getting off of his blocks and his size and speed aids him in pressuring the Qb on blitzes. I feel like we would fare better with a LB that has better instincts playing WLB. Davis is a missile I'd rather him play alongside Jones.

Campbells instincts are fine. We'd be going backwards trying to train a rookie to play WLB vs a second year player coming off a helluva SB game. Wheeler did a good job at SLB as well. Plus he can play all the LB spots if need be. The linebacker we need to draft is a SLB. Campbell is perfect for WLB. You're supposed to make all your mistakes when your young. That's how you get better. Campbell had a helluva playoff run period. He's our WLB. 

29 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Campbells instincts are fine. We'd be going backwards trying to train a rookie to play WLB vs a second year player coming off a helluva SB game. Wheeler did a good job at SLB as well. Plus he can play all the LB spots if need be. The linebacker we need to draft is a SLB. Campbell is perfect for WLB. You're supposed to make all your mistakes when your young. That's how you get better. Campbell had a helluva playoff run period. He's our WLB. 

Still could use another player on the roster with the skill set. If he goes down we don't have anything behind him.

Agree 100% about needing a SAM though. It's imperative that we get one that way Beasley can focus on being the LEO.

We're in good shape going into the draft. Our options are so wide open, nobody is likely to swoop in a pick or so before us to take a player that we might be super high on. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is the year that me move back 15 picks and pick up additional comp. I think we'll definitely be adding at least one linebacker via the draft.

jas82487 likes this

4 hours ago, Kung-Pow said:

Pipe dream I know but there isn't a player in this draft I would want more than Reuben Foster

YES. He is going to be an absolute star in the NFL. There is a reason he is being compared to Kuechly 

55 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

The Sam backer isn't hugely important because they come off the field but it was still a weakness for us. That's why I was thinking we could move Campbell to play some snaps at SAM and have the rook play WLB. That way we can upgrade the Slb and have much needed depth at WLB in case one of those guys go down and have Campbell fill in and not miss a beat. That would be perfect in terms of versatility for the LB core.

31 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Still could use another player on the roster with the skill set. If he goes down we don't have anything behind him.

Agree 100% about needing a SAM though. It's imperative that we get one that way Beasley can focus on being the LEO.

Beasley isn't gonna play LEO. They want him to attack the RT. Thats the new wave in the NFL. And wheeler plays all 3 spots. Draft a SLB and probably bring another in. Via FA or after the draft. We'll probably draft 3 LB's. At least 2. 

2 hours ago, Falcan Moore said:

If by "we all" you mean maybe Lornoth? Sure. 

Nah I saw potential but even I never compared him to Clay. Lol

Personally, we need at least 2 more guys at the LB spot.  I would not mind a veteran to go with the young group.  I see us drafting at least one other guy.

2 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

I know right. Campbell is like KJ Wright. 

5 minutes ago, fourty4 said:

I know right. Campbell is like KJ Wright. 

Guess where KJ used to play.

30 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

Nah I saw potential but even I never compared him to Clay. Lol

Yeah I just knew you liked him lol. No idea where the idea came from tho

6 hours ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

Weren't we all comparing Tyler Starr to Clay Matthews at one point? I'm glad we aren't scouts.

only his hairdresser knows for sure.........:ninja:

1 hour ago, Knight of God said:

Sign Sio Moore and Sean Porter. Then draft someone.

I reeeeeally want us to bring Sio Moore in. I think I messaged you about him when he first came out...crazy that he fell out of grace after such an awesome rookie year. Think he'd do well here.

Knight of God likes this