Miller2Rison

don't make the Mike smith mistake

37 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, Miller2Rison said:

We were 10 yards away from a SB under MS that we spent the next 2 seasons so focused on the playoffs we forgot how to get there, I hope Quinn has moved passed the Super Bowl and we prepare for winning in the regular season first before we even worry about the playoffs. 1 game at a time. 

That's not why we didn't make playoffs in 2013-14. We drafted poorly (2009-2012) to the point we got old real quick and had some unfortunate major injuries plus after 5 years of hearing the same thing over and over again the coaching got stale. 

Not gonna happen with this team. 

Edited by Vandy

I hope for the sake of our 2017 opponents that they don't believe we'll have a Superbowl hangover.  I guarantee you, every team better bring their A game or they are going to get bulldozed.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

37 minutes ago, Miller2Rison said:

We were 10 yards away from a SB under MS that we spent the next 2 seasons so focused on the playoffs we forgot how to get there, I hope Quinn has moved passed the Super Bowl and we prepare for winning in the regular season first before we even worry about the playoffs. 1 game at a time. 

I think our team has better veteran leadership now. Matt Ryan (more experienced) Julio>Roddy. Younger hungrier guys. Freeman>Turner. 2017 defense> 2013 defense

momak likes this

I think Quinn will have them ready.  He has always focused on one game at a time.  Don't see that changing now.  I wouldn't doubt it if they open with a tear and are one of the last undefeated teams (not saying they will be undefeated, but might be one of the last teams to get a loss this year).  They'll be ready and hungry as ever.

citsalp and TonyMartin80 like this

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

That's not why we didn't make playoffs in 2013-14. We drafted poorly (2009-2012) to the point we got old real quick and had some unfortunate major injuries plus after 5 years of hearing the same thing over and over again the coaching got stale. 

Smith did not trust or play young players to our chagrin....you are right the team got old and slow quickly and Smitty did not have what it took to make changes because he just had is way about things...

PokerSteve likes this

The OP has a good point that cannot be overlooked. Everything about age and poor drafts is true BUT so is the fact that our mindset was "we were only 10 yards away" and that we didn't need much to get past those 10 yards. That mindset is what led to the bad signings and draft picks because we felt that we had a lot more room for error to back to where we were. 

Fast forward to now. The biggest reason all Super Bowl losers tend to fail to succeed the following season is that there is a false sense that they are closer to the ultimate prize than they are. We are no different. As great as we were this year we had just the right amount of luck to get us over the hump. If Arizona loses to Sea and we end up with the 3 seed instead of the 2 then a lot of things may have worked out differently. That an extra playoff game and only 1 home game instead of the bye week and 2 home games we had. I mean you just don't know. 

It is incredibly hard to make let alone win a Super Bowl. But you have to position yourself as best as possible which means not having let downs during the regular season. Winning enough games to have decent playoff seeding and still having to scrap and fight in the playoffs to win. None of that is garunteed. You have to stay hungry and understand that you are starting all over from scratch. There is no just tweak this or that. That's what leads to the hangover. You have to have the mindset that that you have everything to prove and you haven't accomplished anything yet. 

After as much work as they put in last year, its going to be so tough to get all 53 guys back on the same page. To take their games to the next level. As young as we are there are also going to players that  regress next season, that get injured, that get suspended.

We have to maintain depth and development. Players have to perform. Balls have to bounce our way. Seeding has to work out in our favor. And guys have to stay hungry and healthy 

Can we do it? Yes. And Quinn is the kind of coach I can believe in. But history is not on our side and we are going to have to work like **** to change it. 

Am I the only one who feels like Smitty had so much faith in his starters that we were drafting for solid backups instead of guys who could come in and take jobs from starters? Smitty wasn't a development coach and didn't seem interested in wanting immediate competition. Every draft pick should be made with an eye on the player potentially starting from day one if he's worthy.

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, capitan said:

Smith did not trust or play young players to our chagrin....you are right the team got old and slow quickly and Smitty did not have what it took to make changes because he just had is way about things...

Some of that is true captain, but some of it is repeating the false narrative that's been around here for years about smith "not trusting young players" ....he played plenty of young players (rookies drafted high and low, UDFA, whatever) throughout his time here. 

See matt Ryan, Harry Douglas, Jamal Anderson, Chris Houston, Curtis Lofton, Justin Blalock, Brent Grimes, chevis jackson, Chris Owens, William Moore Kory Biermann, thomas decoud, Vance walker, Michael palmer, Cory peters, Paul worrlow, Sean weatherspoon.  Ryan Schraeder, Jo Bartu, Julio, Dominique Franks, Akeem dent, Peter Konz, matt bosher, Lamar Holmes, Desmond trufant, Robert Alford, Joe Hawley, pat DiMarco, drew Davis, Levine Toilolo, James stone, jake Matthews, Mali Goodman, Kemal Ismeal and others  who were starters as either 22 year old rookies or 23 year old 2nd year  NFL season for Falcons . Problem with the above is many of the them never should have been starters, but due to poor drafting by organization they were defaulted to start. 

And That gross lack of young talent we found ourselves with in 2013-14 was because of horrible drafting 2009-2012, which wasn't smith's job in the organization. 

"Our chagrin"  board favs (Lawrence Sidbury/Jon Massaquoi) stunk and have not done a **** thing anywhere else, nor has any other player (other than freeman and perhaps Allen) Proved Smitty was wrong not playing them more.

Edited by Vandy
FalconFanSince1970 likes this

58 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Am I the only one who feels like Smitty had so much faith in his starters that we were drafting for solid backups instead of guys who could come in and take jobs from starters? Smitty wasn't a development coach and didn't seem interested in wanting immediate competition. Every draft pick should be made with an eye on the player potentially starting from day one if he's worthy.

Well, You're certainly not the only one wrong about that viewpoint.

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

1 hour ago, LightningDawg58 said:

The OP has a good point that cannot be overlooked. Everything about age and poor drafts is true BUT so is the fact that our mindset was "we were only 10 yards away" and that we didn't need much to get past those 10 yards. That mindset is what led to the bad signings and draft picks because we felt that we had a lot more room for error to back to where we were. 

Fast forward to now. The biggest reason all Super Bowl losers tend to fail to succeed the following season is that there is a false sense that they are closer to the ultimate prize than they are. We are no different. As great as we were this year we had just the right amount of luck to get us over the hump. If Arizona loses to Sea and we end up with the 3 seed instead of the 2 then a lot of things may have worked out differently. That an extra playoff game and only 1 home game instead of the bye week and 2 home games we had. I mean you just don't know. 

It is incredibly hard to make let alone win a Super Bowl. But you have to position yourself as best as possible which means not having let downs during the regular season. Winning enough games to have decent playoff seeding and still having to scrap and fight in the playoffs to win. None of that is garunteed. You have to stay hungry and understand that you are starting all over from scratch. There is no just tweak this or that. That's what leads to the hangover. You have to have the mindset that that you have everything to prove and you haven't accomplished anything yet. 

After as much work as they put in last year, its going to be so tough to get all 53 guys back on the same page. To take their games to the next level. As young as we are there are also going to players that  regress next season, that get injured, that get suspended.

We have to maintain depth and development. Players have to perform. Balls have to bounce our way. Seeding has to work out in our favor. And guys have to stay hungry and healthy 

Can we do it? Yes. And Quinn is the kind of coach I can believe in. But history is not on our side and we are going to have to work like **** to change it. 

This

1 hour ago, LightningDawg58 said:

Everything about this is true. Which is why I'm still so disappointed with the Super Bowl loss. It's not easy to have things go your way, to stay healthy, and for other teams to falter along the way. A golden opportunity was blown.

I pray also that TD and the FO don't blow it. It is our biggest challenge to try to make it back to the SB. Great Drafts, UDFA'S, FA's, last cut pickups, team morale etc. A lot of things have to fall into place. I pray we can get this City's, state and AB that Super Bowl Ring.

PokerSteve likes this

"Sacks are overrated"

Keep-drafting pass-rushers...

Draft a "Beasley-clone" (in case he's hurt).

All of these other rushers on the roster seem to be "quasi-UTs".....like the last regime wanted.

WOLB Coleman can rush...I'm sure of it..In a pinch. 

13 hours ago, Vandy said:

Agree with this. Back to back home run drafts the last 2 years will likely prevent that

Vandy likes this

13 hours ago, MAD597 said:

It was the injuries in 2013-2014 and nothing more. We had 11+ guys on IR each year. It got so bad Tololio had to play RT for one half of a game.

Pretty much it. We had no depth. Now those teams have been completely turned over with hardly anyone left. We also have been been stacking with quality depth. 

Vandy likes this

10 hours ago, Vandy said:

No sir , you're wrong, and just repeating the false narrative that's been around here for years about smith "not trusting young players" , he played plenty of young players (rookies drafted high and low, UDFA, whatever) throughout his time here. 

See matt Ryan, Harry Douglas, Jamal Anderson, Chris Houston, Curtis Lofton, Justin Blalock, Brent Grimes, chevis jackson, Chris Owens, William Moore Kory Biermann, thomas decoud, Vance walker, Michael palmer, Cory peters, Paul worrlow, Sean weatherspoon.  Ryan Schraeder, Jo Bartu, Julio, Dominique Franks, Akeem dent, Peter Konz, matt bosher, Lamar Holmes, Desmond trufant, Robert Alford, Joe Hawley, pat DiMarco, drew Davis, Levine Toilolo, James stone, jake Matthews, Mali Goodman, Kemal Ismeal and others  who were starters as either rookies or in their 2nd NFL season for Falcons . Problem with the above is many of the them never should have been starters, but due to poor drafting by organization they were defaulted to start. 

And That gross lack of young talent we found ourselves with in 2013-14 was because of horrible drafting 2009-2012, which wasn't smith's job in the organization. 

"Our chagrin"  board favs (Lawrence Sidbury/Jon Massaquoi) stunk and have not done a **** thing anywhere else, nor has any other player (other than freeman and perhaps Allen) Proved Smitty was wrong not playing them more.

This is correct. It amazes me that Quinn is lauded for starting a 1st, 2nd, and 4th round pick on defense when Smitty started more undrafted AND high round picks. It wasn't playing them, which he did, it's that our picks had no talent. 

Posted (edited)

If there's one thing I'm confident about Quinn and never fully was with Smith is that he doesn't get ahead of himself.

Also, Quinn has been there 3 out of the past 4 Superbowls.

This team will have a target on its back in 2017, but Quinn will have them focused and ready to play.

Edited by Radiohead

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, Steel City Falcon said:

We missed the playoffs because the team got old and littered with bad draft picks and FA signings. 

My god the Peter Konz and Lamar Holmes picks still bother me. Im 225 and i bench more than  Putrid Kons a 300+ pound man -not sure what they saw in him but it set us bck big time

Edited by Diggable Birds