Monoxide

What are the chances that we extend Poe?

54 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, JT said:

I think we may be able to get levitre back at a much cheaper price after next season however I hope we land big on a RG that has an very solid and strong year and is already placed on atleast a 2 or 3 year deal this season coming up. 

Levitre has played very well.  I think he will have earned a substantial contract.  In my mind, Wes S is a candidate for the RG position this season and LG for next. 

We need to reduce the cap cost of our OL, one way or another.  

36 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Levitre has played very well.  I think he will have earned a substantial contract.  In my mind, Wes S is a candidate for the RG position this season and LG for next. 

I hear ya! But it does scare me trying to cut down on the line cap. I just don't want to see us rebuilding our o line cause we are being cheap.

Wes S. had a great training camp last off season according to reports....I too think Quinn may just insert him in the lineup and maybe we get some much needed depth for the o line throughout the draft.

I wouldn't, If I were you. Depending on the class next year I have a feeling we'll just want to go draft our next big DT next year. We have a lot of other people coming up in need of re-signing. 

It feels unlikely. Whether he plays good or bad, it seems like he'll be a one year addition for us. 

3 hours ago, JT said:

I hear ya! But it does scare me trying to cut down on the line cap. I just don't want to see us rebuilding our o line cause we are being cheap.

Wes S. had a great training camp last off season according to reports....I too think Quinn may just insert him in the lineup and maybe we get some much needed depth for the o line throughout the draft.

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly.  That is why I think we need to invest in the OL in this draft and the next.  

We might have a decent RG in Wes, but we don't know that.  He is supposed to be an athletic guy with above average intelligence, but with some core weakness that might make him susceptible to powerful DT's.  He has had a year to work out and put on serviceable weight.  Let's hope that he is ready.

But, we can not sit back and just hope.   This is Ryan's window.  

Let's draft a Guard now and wait to see if a cheap OG becomes a cap casualty in the summer. 

AndySG likes this

I would think the chances of him coming back after this season are very good. During the media call with Poe, he was asked about if this was a better fit for him schematically than what he had in K.C. and if he thought his best football was ahead of him because of the better scheme fit (as far as getting a chance to pass rush more). Poe's response was something along the lines of he definitely thought these next upcoming years (emphasis on year'S') in this defense were going to be his best. It sounded like he was intending on being here beyond just this one season.

Obviously contract negotiations have to come together in the future to make that happen. But for his part, he seemed to want to be here beyond this season.

17 hours ago, Monoxide said:

Wanting to buy a Poe jersey for the new season but of course I'm a bit intimidated.

Give me some hope guys!

If he stays in Hageman shape and not Grady Jackson shape, then 100%

10 hours ago, etherdome said:

We spend more on WR's right now than we do OL and the OL has 5 starters. I don't agree with needing to reduce the cap cost of the OL. I wouldn't be mad if it was the highest paid group on the team. That honor goes to the DL right now though, surprisingly enough.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

13 hours ago, poutlipper said:

I'd be wary.. if he does what we want him to do.. I think he prices himself out of Atlanta.  Keep in mind in the next 2 years we'll have new contracts for Ryan, Freeman,  Jake Matthews, Levitre(If we keep), Beasley, and Trufant.  

We are obviously planning on retaining Ryan, Freeman, Matthews, Beasley and Trufant. Doubt Levitre though.

15 hours ago, etherdome said:

I would say high.  I think that he will have a great season and will demand a big contract, but I also think that Quinn will love this guy.  Levitre comes off the books next year, a well as guys like Clayborn and possibly Shelby.  

I expect us to draft a DT in the later rounds and park him on the PS......all in an effort to free-up cap space to keep Poe.  

This is exactly my thoughts basically if you draft say Reed or Clayborns replacement this year there's basically your salary for Poe right there.I mean even with the impending extensions if we really wanted to extending him wouldn't be an issue at all.

I mean what is it next year 50 + mill and nie on 100 the following year.

Itll take some work but I'm pretty sure it can be done.The draft is what'll save us if we keep drafting well holding onto guy's like Poe becomes easier and easier.

If he is a dominant force on the D-line, they'll extend him a la Bennett in Seattle on his prove it deal IMO.  If not, then he may walk, but if he lives up to the hype, I'm not worrying about who we might have to let walk in a couple years or whatever.

If they make it back to the Super Bowl, and are yop 5 in NFL run defense = Yes.

Otherwise = Probably not.

If it becomes a "Super Bowl Hang-over Season".. TheFalcons would draft higher, and select a DT.

I think this staff moves Hageman to DE (after a weight-loss)..

9 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

We spend more on WR's right now than we do OL and the OL has 5 starters. I don't agree with needing to reduce the cap cost of the OL. I wouldn't be mad if it was the highest paid group on the team. That honor goes to the DL right now though, surprisingly enough.

Is that true?  Do we spend more on WR's than OL's?  

We are paying Mack and Levitre pretty solidly.  Matthews and Schraeder received good contracts, as well.  I don't know the numbers, but that would be interesting to find out.  

I think you see how he plays through the first half.  If his weight is good, and he is balling out, you extend him then.  You could probably pay a little less than if you waited until the end of the season.

10 hours ago, FalconBlood said:

We are obviously planning on retaining Ryan, Freeman, Matthews, Beasley and Trufant. Doubt Levitre though.

Without a doubt, I just don't think we can afford a long term deal with Poe with all the players we're going to have to sign.

22 hours ago, etherdome said:

No I totally disagree. **** we were willing to put X amount back into it with T.J. Lang. If we have the most expensive oline and best offense in the league, then so be it.

11 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

why?

Look at all the factors at play. 

Poe was playing on a one-year deal presumably to find a more favorable, generous market next year. So let's look at the possible outcomes:

1) Poe plays for the Falcons and has a Pro Bowl+ season. At that point, he's going to be highly motivated to get to the open market to cash in on a multi-year deal. Which might be tough for us to fit into our cap table. 

2) Poe plays for the Falcons and has a mediocre or worse year (for whatever reason). At that point, is the FO going to be in a rush to give him a multi-year extension? Maybe as a value play but if it doesnt work, I don't know that they wouldnt just move on.

3) Poe has an average-ish year. This is tricky because it's largely based on why his year was average. If he's not a good fit, he'd likely be looking for another 1 year "prove it deal" on the market. 

I think Poe getting a multi-year extension requires a bit of a "thread the needle" outcome. He's gotta be good enough that we view him as a building block but not so good that he prices himself out of what we can do. Unless he wants to take a deal like Michael Bennett did with the Seahawks....a sort of below market multi-year deal. Which I don't know is all that likely. 

2 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Look at all the factors at play. 

Poe was playing on a one-year deal presumably to find a more favorable, generous market next year. So let's look at the possible outcomes:

1) Poe plays for the Falcons and has a Pro Bowl+ season. At that point, he's going to be highly motivated to get to the open market to cash in on a multi-year deal. Which might be tough for us to fit into our cap table. 

2) Poe plays for the Falcons and has a mediocre or worse year (for whatever reason). At that point, is the FO going to be in a rush to give him a multi-year extension? Maybe as a value play but if it doesnt work, I don't know that they wouldnt just move on.

3) Poe has an average-ish year. This is tricky because it's largely based on why his year was average. If he's not a good fit, he'd likely be looking for another 1 year "prove it deal" on the market. 

I think Poe getting a multi-year extension requires a bit of a "thread the needle" outcome. He's gotta be good enough that we view him as a building block but not so good that he prices himself out of what we can do. Unless he wants to take a deal like Michael Bennett did with the Seahawks....a sort of below market multi-year deal. Which I don't know is all that likely. 

Jacksonville gave him an "enticing" offer, but decided to sign with Atlanta after talking to Quinn. Poe has already refused less money to play here. Isn't he atleast as likely as not to do so again, after bonding with the players?

On 3/19/2017 at 5:35 AM, Monoxide said:

Wanting to buy a Poe jersey for the new season but of course I'm a bit intimidated.

Give me some hope guys!

20 dollar chinese jersey. Looks dynamite and is 20 bucks. Who cares if he leaves next year, its only 20 bucks!

On 3/19/2017 at 5:35 AM, Monoxide said:

Give me some hope guys!

the chances are as follows:

either 100% chance we re-sign him

OR

0% chance we re-sign him.