Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JerseyNo12

MLS be warned: ATL came to play

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Looks like it's starting to come together. The chemistry. The young talent budding under a great selection of a manager (Gerardo Martino) that has coached Leo Messi at both the club level (Barcelona) and international (Argentina national team). We had 83% possession for the whole game against Chicago! 83! I've never seen that in my entire life, and I've watched a lot of great teams in some lopsided match-ups. I only just started watching MLS seriously since Atlanta got a team (didn't really care much for DC United even though they're local), and they got me pumped already. This is awesome, which is a far cry from my other team (Arsenal) who needs a new manager, but at least Barca is still in it (UCL)

Edited by JerseyNo12

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, atl falcon 89 said:

You poor creature, Arsenal is my other team too (and Dortmund) :lol: 

I wanna get a Martinez jersey but at the rate he's going he'll be back in UEFA in in no time :ninja: 

I hope not. If ATLUTD can keep this up, they'll do a lot to really improve the quality of MLS as a whole (which I'm still adjusting to lol).

Edited by JerseyNo12
SkerFalcon8710 and AF89 like this

2 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

I hope not. If ATLUTD can keep this up, they'll do a lot to really improve the quality of MLS as a whole (which I'm still adjusting to lol).

Just got to keep Martino. He's our pipeline to South America 

JerseyNo12 and SkerFalcon8710 like this

Wasn't really a MLS fan til Atlanta United FC.... Im a big fan of Messi. So I like our coach. So far My fav Atlanta United player is Josef Martinez.

JerseyNo12 likes this

1 hour ago, GATXBOI said:

Wasn't really a MLS fan til Atlanta United FC.... Im a big fan of Messi. So I like our coach. So far My fav Atlanta United player is Josef Martinez.

Yea I grew up playing soccer and spent some time in the MISL and even I didn't bother watching mls but I'm definitely diving in now that Atlanta has a team owned by Blank. I'm pretty stoked!

12 minutes ago, Domed Outter said:

Stadium looks well set up (crowd close enough to the pitch) for a temporary solution.

I'm a little worried how it'll be in the new stadium with the seating pushed further back, luckily I think they did well in planning to make it feel more enclosed by bannering off the upper levels 

AF89 likes this

Yes - the 200's sections are particularly far away from the pitch in the new dome.  Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

1 minute ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

Wow. When was the last time Bobby Dodd was this loud. :ninja::lol:

Seriously though, if the team can keep throwing up points on the board like they are then the stadium should be filled every  home game! 42k on hand for this win. Not the 55k from the first game that triggered memories of the SB for about 13k people it looks like lol but a great crowd non the less for MLS soccer!

Yeah Mercedes is going to feel cavernous after Bobby Dodd. The fans are right up on the field at Tech. I can't wait till Mercedes but at the same time I can already envision the threads and articles questioning whether we need to build a soccer specific stadium out in Cobb or Gwinnett or something waaaaay down the road from now. (Used to be the subject of every other thread in the old Georgia Force and Thrashers forums)

Still I don't want to poopoo something before we get to see it, Blank did build this stadium with MLS in mind. Traffics always going to be a problem though.

Seattle also does really well at Centurylink, so there's precedent for us to follow. When Portland goes there it's packed like a NFL game

with all the stadiums close to or in Atlanta,I can see a world cup coming here in the future,Yeah I know Atlanta United won't compete but maybe some of the players.I am stoked also.It is amazing,the Buccs owner also owns man united so the interest is definitely there.

World Cup won't be playing at the new dome unfortunately since Blank reversed course on the promise of an outdoor stadium with natural grass.  This will also prevent world class players (in their prime) from playing with ATLUTD/MLS.

sad. 

Fans are actually too close at Bobby Dodd.  There's absolutely no room in touch on the sides lines, and reserves are having to warm up beyond the endlines on a small patch of grass.

2 hours ago, brewman said:

Fans are actually too close at Bobby Dodd.  There's absolutely no room in touch on the sides lines, and reserves are having to warm up beyond the endlines on a small patch of grass.

Yeah but that sounds like more of a problem for the visitors. 

5 hours ago, BigBhang said:

World Cup won't be playing at the new dome unfortunately since Blank reversed course on the promise of an outdoor stadium with natural grass.  This will also prevent world class players (in their prime) from playing with ATLUTD/MLS.

sad. 

Until mls can compete with salaries of world class players (multiple) per team they will never be here anyways.. **** it won't be long before we start losing our South Americans to Europe if they keep this kind of play up.. 

Ronaldo makes 82 mil a year..

Messi 77 mil a year

ibrahimovich 37mil/yr

Neymar 37..

each mls team can afford like 1 over the hill big salary.. the highest right now is kaka who is old as dirt making 7mil in Orlando.. 

the bones of frank lampard (38) is making 7mil also.. those are the highest salaries in the mls.. paid just for the ******* name not the talent bc they are shells of their former selves and couldn't make that money anywhere else. 

mls will never get top talent till the fan support allows for these teams to spend big money. **** half of atlantas roster makes less than 100,00/yr... most clubs in Europe don't have guys making less than 15,000$/week 

16 hours ago, BigBhang said:

sad. 

I don't believe the World Cup argument is correct.  There were plenty of FIFA events played at the GA Dome, because they just brought in real grass for the matches.  They'll do the same thing to accommodate FIFA events at the new stadium.

We won't have to worry about bringing in top level players in their prime into MLS any time soon, because they (MLS) are being smart about maintaining financial viability as a league.  The worst thing that could happen to MLS in general would be to remove salary cap restraints from teams, and then you'd up where most of the other major soccer leagues are.  A few haves, and a bunch of have-not that have virtually no chance for a championship in any given year.