MSalmon

This is my 5th round pick Jamaal Williams

64 posts in this topic

I love this dude. This guy is pretty intelligent also. He may not be the flashiest back of them all, but he's one of the brightest and smartest.

If you never heard of the draftnik by the name of Matt Waldman, you should look him up. Arguably one of the smartest dudes of the bunch when it comes to evaluating runningbacks, quarterbacks, wide receivers, and tight ends. He knows what to look for, and hammered in the nail on some guys he predicted would do real well in the NFL.

He got Jamaal Williams in on one of his evaluation videos, and I was blown away at how prepared Jamaal Williams seemed for the NFL. I completely agree with Matt when he says Williams is the most NFL-ready back with his feel for the game.

Here's an excerpt:

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2017/02/23/rsp-film-room-no-100-rb-jamaal-williams-wjamaal-williams/

Within the first 30 seconds of watching Jamaal Williams’ tape, I saw an NFL running back. I’m not saying I saw everything I needed to see from Williams’ game in that brief span.

It has less to do with speed, quickness, power, or a specific technique and more to do with how he moves. What I saw was presence.

Athletes are performers and there are performers on stage or screen that have presence. Regardless of their strengths and weaknesses as performers, they look so at home in their performance setting that they appear natural.

I’m not trying to sell you on the over-romanticized notion of natural talent. Whether it kicks in before or after the thousands of hours of grueling work, every good player has some of that natural stuff.

Williams moves like a runner with feel for the position and the game. Feel is a great commodity in performance.

I’ve known musicians who had the kind of sound, technique, and knowledge that would make other musicians think about selling their first born to acquire. But if I were still playing and I could pick the one skill I could have in abundance, it would be feel. 

Feel will captivate an audience faster and hold their attention longer than the other skills. And if a player lacks it, it’s notable to the amateur.

I had an excellent teacher who had everything you’d want as a saxophonist with the exception of strong feel. Even after playing for decades at a high level, his solos often sounded like he was doing a math problem. 

Williams has feel. Football commentators who are willing to get laughed at for invoking feel call it the IT Factor.

Five or six years ago, I defined IT as Integrated Technique—a player’s skill to combine physical, technical, and conceptual skills for maximum effect and often in situations that aren’t coached. Williams isn’t the strongest, fastest, quickest, or most agile back in this class, but the feel for the position and game is strong.

21 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I thought I was watching Freeman there for a minute.Hes got nice feet man but I feel we've already got this on our roster.

We interviewed him. He'd be an interesting 3rd back

6 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

I love this dude. This guy is pretty intelligent also. He may not be the flashiest back of them all, but he's one of the brightest and smartest.

If you never heard of the draftnik by the name of Matt Waldman, you should look him up. Arguably one of the smartest dudes of the bunch when it comes to evaluating runningbacks, quarterbacks, wide receivers, and tight ends. He knows what to look for, and hammered in the nail on some guys he predicted would do real well in the NFL.

He got Jamaal Williams in on one of his evaluation videos, and I was blown away at how prepared Jamaal Williams seemed for the NFL. I completely agree with Matt when he says Williams is the most NFL-ready back with his feel for the game.

Here's an excerpt:

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2017/02/23/rsp-film-room-no-100-rb-jamaal-williams-wjamaal-williams/

Awesome! Thanks. As much as I hate to say it he'd be great in your offense , too

very underated back. We interviewed him

23 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

Here's an excerpt:

Yep. He's not flashy, but he's probably the angriest runner in the draft and he's natural. He belongs. He's going to be great. Had a 2nd round grade on him for a long time and still floored at how low a lot of people have him.

40 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I thought I was watching Freeman there for a minute.Hes got nice feet man but I feel we've already got this on our roster.

I don't get that comparison to be honest. He runs in a similar way in how he sees the hole - his vision is outstanding - but their styles are so different. Freeman has sharper cuts, he's smoother, runs hard but doesn't fall forward necessarily, a lot of negative runs. Williams doesn't do negative runs. He can be hit behind the line and will still usually get a couple yards. He has control over his cuts but doesn't do them often, very one cut. Patient. More balance than Free by far. I've heard a couple people compare him to Leveon Bell and I don't disagree. Very similar style, not the ridiculous patience of Bell but similar in that he'll seem like he's waiting and then just explodes. Looks for contact. And man, he's a smart guy. He's just scraping his potential, he's what, 21? He'd be perfect for us.

PS: Best stiff arm in the draft, bar none.

A-TowN.-, PokerSteve and MSalmon like this

I will take him with possibly a 2nd third or fourth pick we get for trading down I figure they would get two picks in the first four rounds of the draft for our 31st pick.

MSalmon likes this

1 hour ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

He runs like the love child of freeman and coleman. I'd take a flyer on him if he's there late.

Ha ha

3 hours ago, SamMills51 said:

Here's an excerpt:

I remember Waldman in love with a guy named Jamarcus Russell.

This is one of the hardest, angriest runners I've ever seen. I remember watching that Toledo game thinking he could be a first rounder. He's not a workout warrior, but he's just a warrior on the field. He's got some really nice feet, balance, and that stiff arm is freaking nasty. He reminds me somewhat of Le'Veon Bell, nimble but a hard guy to take down. We interviewed him so I think we could maybe take him. I don't see how you pass up on a guy like this. 

PokerSteve and Falcan Moore like this

He'll be drafted Day 2 but I love him. I wouldn't take a running back until the fifth but if he was available it would be a great pick so we hopefully wouldn't have to pay Freeman a ton and could roll with Williams and Coleman. I do love Free but I don't love paying a running back big money.

Man, after watching him in that Matt Waldman video I like him even more. Just the stuff he says about loving blocking, how he likes wearing down defenses and just all the good decisions he makes, the way he explains them. 

My favorite quote:

"I love games like these, where you're just taking the soul out of em...just gotta keep hitting em."

That's the difference. He doesn't get hit, he hits - whether it's blocking or running. 

SamMills51 likes this

Posted (edited)

Give me him or either Chris Carson in the 7th. People are sleeping on Carson.

Edited by ike barn87987

I wish JW would drop to the end of the 5th round, but I doubt it will happen.  

He looks like an ideal RB for our scheme.  His vision reminds me of Freeman and his strength reminds me of Coleman.  I think he is a notch below both, but he would make a fine back up.

'Jack of all trades, master of none'. He does everything well, but can you point to that one trait that will make him a star in this league? 

26 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

'Jack of all trades, master of none'. He does everything well, but can you point to that one trait that will make him a star in this league? 

His ability to get yards after contact. Football is a game of inches and he fights for every yard. Not to mention he's got some moves. 

Just now, Smiler11 said:

His one trait? 

His feel for the game excels every RB in this class.

14 hours ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

He runs like the love child of freeman and coleman. I'd take a flyer on him if he's there late.

Exactly.