ATLFalcons11

When is it ok to trade up?

66 posts in this topic

If it's me in the war room, I only trade up if there's a big drop off between the guy I want and the next guy I want, and I don't think the former will still be there when I pick. 

The real question is what is better for the team:   to add one talented prospect or several?

We are where we need to be (except for an OG).  

We need depth at any and all positions (because injuries are part of the game).  To my eyes, we need to add more pass rushers, OL's, LB's and any other position on the field.  We need to add cheap talent and there is no better way to do that than to draft.    

So, my answer is this:  Do not trade up.    

13 minutes ago, etherdome said:

The real question is what is better for the team:   to add one talented prospect or several?

We are where we need to be (except for an OG).  

We need depth at any and all positions (because injuries are part of the game).  To my eyes, we need to add more pass rushers, OL's, LB's and any other position on the field.  We need to add cheap talent and there is no better way to do that than to draft.    

So, my answer is this:  Do not trade up.    

I disagree. I see we need depth at LB and OL. That's it. We may be missing a STARTER at edge rusher

We have QB, RB, WR, TE, DL, DB.

1 hour ago, putnam6 said:

Thats funny, but whats that got to do with Falcons football..... technically the original post is about the NFL draft and we already have a forum for that.....   just saying..... 

Cool story. And since you used the wrong shade of purple, I'm going to respond anyway. The mods allow a leniency when it comes to draft topics (mocks included) during this time of year because there are few other topics worth discussing and they don't want traffic on the site to decline. If you're referring to what I think you're referring to, then I would have you know that there's a sizable difference between talking about the Falcons draft and talking about a different team which plays a different sport.

6 hours ago, dmo_dlo said:

A similar question this year would be if it's OK to trade nezt year's 1st to get into the top of 2nd. Normally I would hate to trade future first but a FS or edge rusher that you could find in the first half of second this year is most probably better than those positions in the bottom half of first next year. You would lose the 5th year option of a first rounder but given our window for a SB run I think it's an idea worth considering. 

This is what desperate (bad) teams do.

TheFatboi likes this

58 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Someone else said it: when Reddick falls to the teens.  

If he's our guy. We're in a good position where we don't have to trade up at all. There will be a lot of good players at 31. 

11 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

If he's our guy. We're in a good position where we don't have to trade up at all. There will be a lot of good players at 31. 

I just like Reddick exponentially more than any other prospect

2 hours ago, King Jigsaw said:

Cool story. And since you used the wrong shade of purple, I'm going to respond anyway. The mods allow a leniency when it comes to draft topics (mocks included) during this time of year because there are few other topics worth discussing and they don't want traffic on the site to decline. If you're referring to what I think you're referring to, then I would have you know that there's a sizable difference between talking about the Falcons draft and talking about a different team which plays a different sport.

I must have missed in the code of conduct on the pantone accepted shade of purple when implying sarcasm, is this it

My guess is the OP put it here because he thought others my be interested, and expected immediate responses, where as posting elsewhere in the less visited forums it wouldn't get hardly any responses

Seems to me though we do agree what goes where should be left to the discretion of the moderators.

Seriously though I was trying to be funny.... guess I need to remember sometimes its difficult to establish one's tone on a message board, and back to the topic at hand.

8 hours ago, EvilVodka said:

I generally agree with this except I'd probably put in Johnathan Allen instead of Malik Hooker

Another out-of-the-box 1st round pick up would be Mike Williams WR...I know Atlanta is good at WR, but how would you like another stud in there for Matt Ryan? That's assuming Allen, Hooker, Foster, Reddick, Mcdowell are all taken...

Rather have a TE,

I don't see a trade up this draft,but if we did it would have to be for Soloman Thomas or Obi Melifonwu.

You might see Atlanta move up for a S, LB or OG, but it has to be a 'their guy' type of move that they envision ONLY trading down at 31 otherwise if that 1 player is taken before 31.If not trading up, you can consider trading down if there are several picks at 31 and you don't have a favorite/clear cut. If so, trade back a few picks and get another pick + the other player you don't lose out on just by leaving 31. Worst case if all the players you WOULD have taken (read, not reached for*) at 31 are gone you can start drafting others at position you wanted, but at least it's a better value but that's a worst case scenario if you still have 'your picks' and are trying to get the right value out of the pick instead of tunneling on 1 player. It's a risk to trade back and a risk to trade up, depends on cost and value of what is being gotten. I say it's doubtful for DE will how many players there are in this draft. Like others have said, you move up if it's a good deal worth securing 'your guy'. It could be a DE if one Atlanta values clearly falls to 20s, etc.

The way the draft unfolds is a big contributing factor, but let alone any teams you would need as trade partners.

I agree with others that there is no clear answer. However, I like that our FO has always been aggressive. If we deem a player elite, we make a deal

On 18/03/2017 at 6:04 AM, ATLFalcons11 said:

If it's a deep draft for defensive backs, then doesn't that automatically make the top DBs the best of a REALLY GREAT group?

Not necessarily. Your not allowing for different teams scheme fits (for example coverage cbs vs zone cbs). The Falcons might value a db higher because he is a great rangy type with experience playing the high safety role (perfect for our cover 3 FS role) whereas another team like Arizona places a higher emphasis on a coverage db who can drop down from FS into man as they play a lot of cover 1 press. Both these guys could be athletically similarily gifted but they just have more experience playing in certain schemes. Players can have Different attributes like height, speed, getoff, strength etc and yet be overall graded similar also. 

The easy answer imho is yes to a degree (and generally more often that not) but not always :-)