FentayeJones

Falcons make Youngstown State's Derek Rivers feel at home in workout

85 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Falcan Moore said:

Part is definitely level of competition but he dominated the Senior Bowl too (unlike a frequent comparison of his in Margus Hunt). I think I'd rather have him in the 2nd, but I definitely won't shed tears if we take him in the 1st. Quinn is the perfect guy to maximize his potential.

I don't think Tanoh is a player the Falcons will be targeting.   We shall see.   Watch the visits.

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I don't think Tanoh is a player the Falcons will be targeting.   We shall see.   Watch the visits.

We literally just had a private workout with him and Reddick yesterday haha

Broad jump is one of Quinn's favorite categories, same with length. Dude jumped 10'8 at 290 and has what, 36" arms? And a Julio work ethic? And improved his technique a ton just at the Senior Bowl? Bet Quinn is drooling.

4 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

We literally just had a private workout with him and Reddick yesterday haha

Broad jump is one of Quinn's favorite categories, same with length. Dude jumped 10'8 at 290 and has what, 36" arms? And a Julio work ethic? And improved his technique a ton just at the Senior Bowl? Bet Quinn is drooling.

just because your a freak, does not make you a great football player.  Also, think his natural place in a defense is a 3-4 DEnd.   I know we playe the 4-3 under which has some 5-Tech concepts but just don't see him as a player we will be taking - definitely NOT in the 1st round.

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

just because your a freak, does not make you a great football player.  Also, think his natural place in a defense is a 3-4 DEnd.   I know we playe the 4-3 under which has some 5-Tech concepts but just don't see him as a player we will be taking - definitely NOT in the 1st round.

I'm the same guy who isn't buying the Jordan Willis or Rivers hype, hated Margus Hunt, hated Cornelius Washington etc. Just because I like an athletic prospect doesn't mean I think he'll be good because he's an athlete, and tbh that's never been my MO. Kpassagnon was trashing his competition facing double and triple teams on pretty much sheer athleticism and innate feel for the game. And he improved an absurd amount every year. 

But to each their own. 

Bobby.Digital and A-TowN.- like this

3 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

I'm the same guy who isn't buying the Jordan Willis or Rivers hype, hated Margus Hunt, hated Cornelius Washington etc. Just because I like an athletic prospect doesn't mean I think he'll be good because he's an athlete, and tbh that's never been my MO. Kpassagnon was trashing his competition facing double and triple teams on pretty much sheer athleticism and innate feel for the game. And he improved an absurd amount every year. 

But to each their own. 

at best, he is an end of the 2nd round type player.....maybe a big reward - but a big risk as well.   I don't like taking projects in the 1st or 2nd round and this guy is a project.....you could be proven right in the long run and this guy is next Calais Campbell - I'm just not wanting to gamble that way.

10 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

That's where the correlation between freakish athleticism and game film come into play. If the player had the traits for a certain position as far as times, length, motor etc...and the game field shows you he can make plays then you know he can be coached up if you're hands on like Quinn. It starts from having the dna or the traits. Only a few coaches evaluate this way. Belichik is one of them. He stays good. Andy Reid another. Stays good. Pete Carroll. Bill Walsh. Bill Parcels.  Quinn is from that school of coaching. It's really not that hard. Locate a guy who's numbers jump out(times). See if he has a high motor(doesn't quit). Make sure he's smart(plays from the neck up). Chances are you'll find a good player and not just a freakish athlete. 

6 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I never see him bend - I've watched this tape 3 times now.  Watch between 2:14 - 2:25, this is your classic beat the tackle coming around the edge and flatten to the QB - watch his movement.....he is not bending/leaning at all and is rather tall right before he tackles/sacks the QB.   I don't see the classic bending/flattening to the QB - thus my "stiff" comment.  because he is.  Find me a play he makes where you think he looks like he has the classic passrusher move on the edge.

Without searching for clips (mainly because I'm too lazy to do that), a number of articles I've read about this guy have his bend as a strength...some note it as a "natural bend" that allows him to dip around the corner quickly with momentum.

8 minutes ago, kjv315 said:

Without searching for clips (mainly because I'm too lazy to do that), a number of articles I've read about this guy have his bend as a strength...some note it as a "natural bend" that allows him to dip around the corner quickly with momentum.

while others say he has "some tightness in his hips".

I would like to see him run the arc and pick of the tennis balls - I believe that is the drill that the NFL coaches put the edge rushers through to see and test their ability to bend.

On 3/17/2017 at 4:35 PM, g-dawg said:

while others say he has "some tightness in his hips".

I would like to see him run the arc and pick of the tennis balls - I believe that is the drill that the NFL coaches put the edge rushers through to see and test their ability to bend.

That's it. Me and you, one on one running the arc. The QB will be a dummy dressed up like Bobby Petrino or any person of your choosing. Do you accept these terms? :D

In all seriousness, I believe he would do well in the arc drill. He obviously won't be the best at it, but he would be efficient.

4 minutes ago, kjv315 said:

That's it. Me and you, one on one running the arc. The QB will be a dummy dressed up like Bobby Petrino or any person of your choosing. Do you accept these terms? :D

In all seriousness, I believe he would do well in the arc drill. He obviously won't be the best at it, but he would be efficient.

yeah, would like to see him run the arc.....me running it?  that would be ugly.  I am  a legit 6'0" and 185lbs but I am 51 yrs old and my knees crunch when I run now.....too many 10k's and half marathon's back in the day.   My best sport these days is "spectator" although I will try and play against the boys on my sons AAU basketball team every now and then - I can hang for about 15 minutes before tapping out.

kjv315 likes this