TheRisen999

As of today. .

40 posts in this topic

It's hard to say right now. Free agency is no where near finished yet. I'm sure they will add more depth. 

I mean, it really boils down to Poe+Crawford is greater than the loss of DiMarco, so yes we are better.  Not to mention we are getting a lot of guys back that were gone last season.  Add (hopefully) another fruitful draft class from DQ/TD with a few starters and yes, we are better off than we were last year.  This team didn't have the tear down that a lot of superbowl teams endure.

I think we:

1. Got better by subtraction with not resigning Weems.  No more needless fair catches inside the 10 yard line, or fair catches with 15 yards of uncontested space in front of him.

2. Got better with the Poe signing.  QB's were able to climb up the pocket all the time against us last year.  Not anymore!

TheRisen999 and Knight of God like this

Posted (edited)

I believe we are. The most notable losses this offseason were Shanahan and DiMarco. So far this off-season we've added Crawford and Poe. Not to mention we'll have Trufant back and our young defense will have another year under their belts. 

Edited by Sidecar Falcon

5 minutes ago, etherdome said:

We lost our OC.  It remains to be seen what will happen.  

I'm a little worried about it myself.  I just hope that ryan and sark work together and try to keep the things that made us successful 

Bullitt likes this

10 minutes ago, etherdome said:

We lost our OC.  It remains to be seen what will happen.  

I am wondering if that might end up being a plus - Shanahan may have been good at how he designed the structure of our offense and meshing the right players in it, but was his actual playcalling and operating of it really that great?

After lots of criticism in 2015 at Shanahan, the Falcons improved in 2016 as he reduced his control of the offense particularly by allowing Ryan more no-huddle.  And his late game playcalling was never the best (including the Superbowl).

Our new OC appears ready to keep the existing structure and players and may end up being better than Shanahan on gameday.

Falcon918 and TheRisen999 like this

Actually, Shanahan is a gifted play-caller.  He managed to create open receivers nearly every play.  You can say that was due to the talent level on offense, but he knew how to use the talent and put them in position to produce.  

It remains to be seen whether Sarkisian can do the same.  

PokerSteve, Jerz and JerseyNo12 like this

2 hours ago, Falcon Blitz said:

Yeah Eric Weems is not on the team.

I was going to say the same thing so I wont streal your words!

We just lost the OC that coordinated one of the best offenses in NFL history. I am hoping talent is better, because we have to make up for the loss of coaching.

The one thing to note is we had some amazing rookies and Sophomore, so they shod get better this year as well. 

So talent wise, yes we are better...But if we can play better is yet to be seen. No reason we can't win more games than in 16 though.

Once we figure out what's going on with the guard situation we'll know. If that's the same or better then I say we are better. But so are the Patriots and other teams 

We are a better team than last year. Does not mean we will do just as well but a better team.

Look at what we have:

+ Poe

+ Crawford

+ Shelby

+ Roberts

-  DiMarco

-  Weems 

-  Babineaux

Yea I say we're better so far...

19 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Actually, Shanahan is a gifted play-caller.  He managed to create open receivers nearly every play.  You can say that was due to the talent level on offense, but he knew how to use the talent and put them in position to produce.  

I give a lot of that credit to the scheme.  Both his father Mike and Kubiak have been running those same exact concepts for years.  That said I still agree that Kyle is a gifted play caller.  I think he was great overall play calling wise.   Certainly not without flaws, but it's pretty silly to not give him that much credit. 

21 minutes ago, etherdome said:

This ^

I think defensively we are better than we were last year and its not even close. Strong rookie class now has a full year of NFL playing time and strength/nutrition, Poe is an upgrade over Tyson, Tru will be healthy, Collins looked much better.

Offensively though, Shanahan can't get enough credit. Ryan had a great year and its obvious that the game planning was a significant reason for it. 

Birdy Dird, citsalp and TheRisen999 like this

Well I would say yes unless we **** the bed in the draft. Our defense was super young and could be in store for a massive step forward but improvement by our rookies is almost certainly going to happen. Offense should get worse without Kyle but not enough to not be top 5 offense. So yeah I think this team will be a lot better on defense and slightly worse on offense for a net gain.

On paper I say yes we are better.BUT the game as you all know is played on the field. We have the talent and potential to be much better on defense and just as good on offence , We just need to prove it , and win the Lombardi trophy . That is all.

Judging our roster it's hard to say we have improved dramatically. We have really only added one starter. The draft will be very important once again. 

Tbh I'm very concerned with the loss of KS. As much as he was to blame for the SB loss, the dude blew the tops off almost every team we played last year. 

LMAO at Shanny being a great play caller after blowing several play calls in a historic SB loss.

Was buddy a great playcaller in 2015? Hail naw. Never has been.

He capitalized on an $80M offense with good health.

We'll soon see how good of a playcaller he is in SF.

raumin and Flying Falcon like this