shanep

regarding the poe signing......rest of NFL south saying "oh sh#$!!!!"

172 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

To me this opens up the draft.

Edge or BPA for me whatever talent arrives for us that is best suited at 31.

Still want my guy Carl Lawson in the mix.

YES, now there is one less position we have to address with our three "top 100" picks at #31, #63 and #96.  One of those spots is guaranteed to be used for an EDGE rusher (DE/LEO/OLB) and the other two likely to come from OG/LB/FS spots.     I know some want TE but I don't see it.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

YES, now there is one less position we have to address with our three "top 100" picks at #31, #63 and #96.  One of those spots is guaranteed to be used for an EDGE rusher (DE/LEO/OLB) and the other two likely to come from OG/LB/FS spots.     I know some want TE but I don't see it.

Funny you should say TE man after watching some OJ Howard breakdown I'd have to seriously think about it.Seriously I think with the right team this guy going to be great not good but great.

Kung-Pow likes this

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

Funny you should say TE man after watching some OJ Howard breakdown I'd have to seriously think about it.Seriously I think with the right team this guy going to be great not good but great.

OJ Howard, I believe, is going in the top 20.   His stock is SKY HIGH right now.   I give him virtually no chance to make it to #31 - if he did, YES I might take him - but he is head/shoulders above the rest.

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

To me this opens up the draft.

Edge or BPA for me whatever talent arrives for us that is best suited at 31.

Still want my guy Carl Lawson in the mix.

Love Lawson at 31 for us man. Perfect compliment to Beasley 

Lol. No one's scared of Poe.

He's a good signing and will improve your defense, but he's not scary good anymore. Servicable and will help the rest of your defense if he comes back and demands double teams.

Don't act like you just signed Kawann Short or Aaron Donald here now. 

DogIsYourName and Realist like this

Posted (edited)

Just now, g-dawg said:

OJ Howard, I believe, is going in the top 20.   His stock is SKY HIGH right now.   I give him virtually no chance to make it to #31 - if he did, YES I might take him - but he is head/shoulders above the rest.

He could easily be gone to the Panthers 8th pick, and I would not complain one bit. I'm even considering him above guys like Fournette at this point in terms of immediate impact on offense.

Edited by SamMills51

1 minute ago, SamMills51 said:

He's a good signing and will improve your defense, but he's not scary good anymore. Servicable and will help the rest of your defense if he comes back and demands double teams.

bruh

1 minute ago, SamMills51 said:

He played HURT the last two years and he played NT in a 3-4.    If he is close to 100% healthy and playing in a better scheme w/ less double-teams, he could be a beast......not saying he will be - but you are putting a ceiling on Poe that you cannot prove exists.

Further, you don't take a 1 year deal unless you are planning on "balling out".   If Poe came to the Falcons to just collect a paycheck and work half-azz, he would have taken more guaranteed money on a longer deal.   I am not in love w/ a short-term deal but it is certainly a motivator for the player.

Here is why Poe is a big deal. He isn't suffering from talent regression. He has been injured. Then used to go head on. This puts even more strain on the back. Now, his technique in keeping his chin locked in his chest shows he has solid technique. But playing head on will wear you down in the first half of the season. In our situation he will have less to deal with. This will allow him to build back up.

Just now, g-dawg said:

He played HURT the last two years and he played NT in a 3-4.    If he is close to 100% healthy and playing in a better scheme w/ less double-teams, he could be a beast......not saying he will be - but you are putting a ceiling on Poe that you cannot prove exists.

Further, you don't take a 1 year deal unless you are planning on "balling out".   If Poe came to the Falcons to just collect a paycheck and work half-azz, he would have taken more guaranteed money on a longer deal.   I am not in love w/ a short-term deal but it is certainly a motivator for the player.

I'll prove that 'ceiling exists.' 

His play has declined steadily over the years. Not to mention DTs + back issues will always hamper a guy's potential. I'm not going to go crazy and assume he'll all of a sudden blow it up.

He will be servicable. But he has a ceiling with his medical history. If he can break it, good for him, but realistically doesn't seem likely at this point.

9 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

In the same vein as comparing Poe to Short (which no one did), please don't compare Short to Donald. 

Just now, NCFalconfan said:

Leave it to Carologic to not see what a dangerous pocket collapser combo that Jarrett and Poe will be. What ever helps you and your cross dressing QB sleep better at night. 

Thing is, we got one of the best interiors in the league. More worried about what DE you'll get in the draft than Poe at this point.