Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shock

So.... Trufant's new deal???

39 posts in this topic

There was a report last week that said they expected the deal done within 24 hours. Well it's now a week later and still no deal. Wouldn't it be smarter to lock down the extension you've been working on with your own player so you know where you're sitting as far as cap space goes? I'm confused why it's been taking so long with no updates on the situation whatsoever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Other corners got paid. Probably drove up the price.

That's why I think it's so stupid to wait to do a big extension for a player on your team until free agency. Look at how much of a bargain we got Schraeder and Alford for when we signed them early compared to the deals signed this month. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shock said:

That's why I think it's so stupid to wait to do a big extension for a player on your team until free agency. Look at how much of a bargain we got Schraeder and Alford for when we signed them early compared to the deals signed this month. 

So wouldn't it be smart to assume the player would want the opposite?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shock said:

That's why I think it's so stupid to wait to do a big extension for a player on your team until free agency. Look at how much of a bargain we got Schraeder and Alford for when we signed them early compared to the deals signed this month. 

You don't think that they haven't tried signing him to an extension as soon as they picked up his option?

Perhaps it is Trufant driving up the price tag guys...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wjcorner said:

So wouldn't it be smart to assume the player would want the opposite?

Sure, but Trufant was ready to sign a deal when we signed Alford. He wanted it early on in the year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Article in today's AJC said "The team (Falcons) has the parameters of the Desmond Trufont extension set, but will execute it later over the offseason".  

Sounds like the team and Trufant have agreed to terms, and there's some benefit to the Falcon's to delay the signing of the deal.  Maybe June 1?

Also in the same AJC article Dimitroff is quoted as saying that the team traditionally does contract extensions in October or November, and that's when Devonta Freeman's deal is slated to be completed.  Said Dimitroff regarding Freeman's extension "We know the market".

Edited by brewman
BIRDLAND 2.0 and shock like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, shock said:

There was a report last week that said they expected the deal done within 24 hours. Well it's now a week later and still no deal. Wouldn't it be smarter to lock down the extension you've been working on with your own player so you know where you're sitting as far as cap space goes? I'm confused why it's been taking so long with no updates on the situation whatsoever. 

Maybe the team wants to hold on to the cap space, this year, to sign Poe to his one year deal?

Crazy Trav likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, brewman said:

Article in today's AJC said "The team (Falcons) has the parameters of the Desmond Trufont extension set, but will execute it later over the offseason".  

Sounds like the team and Trufant have agreed to terms, and there's some benefit to the Falcon's to delay the signing of the deal.  Maybe June 1?

Also in the same AJC article Dimitroff is quoted as saying that the team traditionally does contract extensions in October or November, and that's when Devonta Freeman's deal is slated to be completed.  Said Dimitroff regarding Freeman's extension "We know the market".

That pretty much sums it up then. I was worried maybe they hit a snag in negations after Bouye's contract was so high. Good to know Dimitroff is cooking something. Maybe we'll see a few more restructures like Schraeder's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still not convinced we aren't getting some serious trade offers. If Tru's agent is playing hardball, it could backfire. A couple extra early round picks would be mighty sweet with the depth of this draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A man named Dontari Poe paid a visit recently. This is why I think things may have stalled.

Would any of you be willing to let Tru walk for Poe? Tough decision, but I would take that chance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, E. T. said:

A man named Dontari Poe paid a visit recently. This is why I think things may have stalled.

Would any of you be willing to let Tru walk for Poe? Tough decision, but I would take that chance.

 

No way is Poe worth letting one of the best young corners in the league walk, that is just foolish.  Not to mention the fact that while Poe is young, he has already been battling back issues and for a large man that is not a good thing.

I'd let Poe walk and focus on signing Hankins myself...

shock, arrogantBEAST and Karst41 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, athell said:

No way is Poe worth letting one of the best young corners in the league walk, that is just foolish.  Not to mention the fact that while Poe is young, he has already been battling back issues and for a large man that is not a good thing.

I'd let Poe walk and focus on signing Hankins myself...

I totally understand your point. But just to throw this out there...the more productive of your 2 corners was given an extension last season and you have an up and coming younger corner who did have much better production after coming back from suspension. Is resigning Tru to a large contract worth it right now?

CrimsonFalcon and athell like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, E. T. said:

I totally understand your point. But just to throw this out there...the more productive of your 2 corners was given an extension last season and you have an up and coming younger corner who did have much better production after coming back from suspension. Is resigning Tru to a large contract worth it right now?

Absolutely it is worth it, at least IMO, and at least if you are asking me if I can have one of either Tru or Poe, I am taking Tru all day long.  If you said someone like Von Miller or Khalil Mack, well then we can have a talk but Poe is not worth Tru to me.  I also question the "more productive" debate.  Alf has 2 more interceptions in his career, and Tru missed half the season last year.  You can say Alford has been more productive because he has more picks, but I don't think the one stat defines production as a DB, ya know?  Tru is as close to a lock down corner as you can get in this league.  Alford could be, he has the physical tools, but not the mental capacity at least yet.

I see your point, and it is a valid one, but for me it is a hard pass.

Edited by athell
E. T. likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, athell said:

Absolutely it is worth it, at least IMO, and at least if you are asking me if I can have one of either Tru or Poe, I am taking Tru all day long.  If you said someone like Von Miller or Khalil Mack, well then we can have a talk but Poe is not worth Tru to me.

I see your point, and it is a valid one, but for me it is a hard pass.

Understood. I'm looking at the hit our dline took with Babs, Jackson, and possibly whoever else will not be with us next season. Quinn did say he wants this dline to take the next step, and that step is right in front of us. Sacrifices!

athell likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, E. T. said:

Understood. I'm looking at the hit our dline took with Babs, Jackson, and possibly whoever else will not be with us next season. Quinn did say he wants this dline to take the next step, and that step is right in front of us. Sacrifices!

Yeah, and that is part of why I wouldn't also.  Grady and Shede had a bit of a coming out party during the playoffs, Upshaw has proven to be a solid piece and with Clayborn and Shelby returning I'm not really feeling the urgency to go spend on a Poe when it seems like we have not only some nice starters but some quality depth at the position.  Jackson was not worth the contract, so I am glad he is gone.  Babs had a great superbowl, but otherwise was hit or miss but for sure a fan favorite and will be missed.

Not saying don't try to upgrade where you can, because you always have to be on the lookout, I'm just not sold on that particular situation of Tru vs Poe that Poe would win.  I can understand the logic, but I just hate the fact that we are finally getting some home grown and developed players and some (not you I know you are just throwing it out there) are willing to let that walk.  I guess it does work for the Patriots, but let's get to that level before we try to mimic them :)

E. T. likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, E. T. said:

I totally understand your point. But just to throw this out there...the more productive of your 2 corners was given an extension last season and you have an up and coming younger corner who did have much better production after coming back from suspension. Is resigning Tru to a large contract worth it right now?

Of course it's worth signing Tru. Now you have 3 good to great corners and now you can get a little bit tricky with formations. 

 

Rocky has already shown he has great ability to cover from every position. Let him take the slot (release valve) away.

 

Tru shuts down a side of the field. Next

 

That leaves us with Collins who showed that he could be ready to lock down the other side of the field and give us our own "No fly zone"

You don't let homegrown talent like Tru walk out the door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, athell said:

Yeah, and that is part of why I wouldn't also.  Grady and Shede had a bit of a coming out party during the playoffs, Upshaw has proven to be a solid piece and with Clayborn and Shelby returning I'm not really feeling the urgency to go spend on a Poe when it seems like we have not only some nice starters but some quality depth at the position.  Jackson was not worth the contract, so I am glad he is gone.  Babs had a great superbowl, but otherwise was hit or miss but for sure a fan favorite and will be missed.

Not saying don't try to upgrade where you can, because you always have to be on the lookout, I'm just not sold on that particular situation of Tru vs Poe that Poe would win.  I can understand the logic, but I just hate the fact that we are finally getting some home grown and developed players and some (not you I know you are just throwing it out there) are willing to let that walk.  I guess it does work for the Patriots, but let's get to that level before we try to mimic them :)

I think whatever direction we go with this, may determine our 1st pick in the draft. Should be interesting.

athell likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, E. T. said:

I think whatever direction we go with this, may determine our 1st pick in the draft. Should be interesting.

I feel like the draft is taking forever to get here man, I cannot wait!!!

BIRDLAND 2.0 and E. T. like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Of course it's worth signing Tru. Now you have 3 good to great corners and now you can get a little bit tricky with formations. 

 

Rocky has already shown he has great ability to cover from every position. Let him take the slot (release valve) away.

 

Tru shuts down a side of the field. Next

 

That leaves us with Collins who showed that he could be ready to lock down the other side of the field and give us our own "No fly zone"

You don't let homegrown talent like Tru walk out the door.

Absolutely. But looking at the big picture, The Falcons are in a sweet position to go in a few directions and stay competitive. Possibly save some $$$ too.

Lucas likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

If there is 1 thing TD is good at, it is saving the team money. I have all confidence in him when it comes to getting the most with the money.

Edited by Lucas
BIRDLAND 2.0 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, E. T. said:

A man named Dontari Poe paid a visit recently. This is why I think things may have stalled.

Would any of you be willing to let Tru walk for Poe? Tough decision, but I would take that chance.

 

No because we've already picked up Trufants 5th year option and his money is already counted in the cap.Its not a tough decision at all the Falcons know how much they want to pay Poe.The mentioned is just fishing is all.If he wants more money than he can go waste his playing career with the Jags.If he wants to win and play for a new deal the Falcons is where he'll come to.

Karst41 and BIRDLAND 2.0 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SOI said:

You don't think that they haven't tried signing him to an extension as soon as they picked up his option?

Perhaps it is Trufant driving up the price tag guys...

Most likely or the deal would be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, brewman said:

Article in today's AJC said "The team (Falcons) has the parameters of the Desmond Trufont extension set, but will execute it later over the offseason".  

Sounds like the team and Trufant have agreed to terms, and there's some benefit to the Falcon's to delay the signing of the deal.  Maybe June 1?

Also in the same AJC article Dimitroff is quoted as saying that the team traditionally does contract extensions in October or November, and that's when Devonta Freeman's deal is slated to be completed.  Said Dimitroff regarding Freeman's extension "We know the market".

Paste this quote over 1/2 the boards foreheads:  "Trufant and Freeman's deals to be done over October of 2017 by Dimitroff because he knows the market. Furthermore per ESPN story it's estimated Falcons really have about 10 million in cap room; ergo, do not expect lucrative FA signings but look for high quality draft picks and UDFAs to complete roster." There fixed the FA board drama. Case closed. We don't need Poe. Can get some depth in draft. Everyone move on. Cue the incompetent response regarding my post in 5,4,3,2,1...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, brewman said:

Article in today's AJC said "The team (Falcons) has the parameters of the Desmond Trufont extension set, but will execute it later over the offseason".  

Sounds like the team and Trufant have agreed to terms, and there's some benefit to the Falcon's to delay the signing of the deal.  Maybe June 1?

Also in the same AJC article Dimitroff is quoted as saying that the team traditionally does contract extensions in October or November, and that's when Devonta Freeman's deal is slated to be completed.  Said Dimitroff regarding Freeman's extension "We know the market".

PS: Excellent quote. You win dinner at Flowery Branch with the Boys! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0