Goober Pyle

Dontari Poe might be out of Falcons' price range

65 posts in this topic

Dontari Poe is not an Atlanta Falcon, at least not yet.

Poe, the top free-agent nose tackle and formerly of the Kansas City Chiefs, visited the Falcons' facility on Tuesday but left without a contract. It was the third stop on Poe's free-agent trek following visits to Indianapolis and Jacksonville.

Now Poe is in Miami visiting the Dolphins, as ESPN's Josina Anderson reported. The fact that he hasn't secured a contract yet makes you wonder about his asking price. It also raises questions about his health, with reported concerns about Poe's back.

If it is all about the money, it would be surprising if the Falcons get into a bidding war, considering general manager Thomas Dimitroff already implied the Falcons wouldn't make a big splash in free agency. Sure, Poe could have a great impact on a defensive line in need of help, and his athleticism is off the charts for a guy who stands 6-foot-3 and weighs 346 pounds. But giving Poe, let's say, $10-$12 million in a one-year deal doesn't seem like the best option, even if another team is offering the same. His replacement in Kansas City, Bennie Logan, just received a one-year, $8 million deal that included $7.68 million guaranteed.

The Falcons don't have a ton of cap space. The latest NFLPA figures have them at around $14.5 million. Meanwhile, the Jaguars have $47 million in cap space, according to numbers obtained by ESPN's Field Yates.

The other two teams on Poe's list -- the Colts and Dolphins -- have $37 million and $18 million in cap space, respectively, according to NFLPA figures.

We'll see how it all plays out from the Falcons' standpoint. They need to fill a hole at defensive tackle after cutting veteran Tyson Jackson and not re-signing veteran Jonathan Babineaux. They need a game-changing type player who can stop the run and has pass-rush ability. Poe has to the potential to be that guy, but will he consistently be that type of player? His production dropped the last two seasons after Pro Bowl showings in 2013 and 2014.

The Falcons have gone the bargain route with their other free-agent signings thus far, so maybe spending big on one wouldn't be all that bad. But again, it's hard to imagine the Falcons getting into a bidding war, especially against the cap-rich Jaguars.

Poe's willingness to accept a one-year deal seems to indicate the 26-year-old wants to prove himself and secure a lucrative, long-term deal after the 2017 season. Maybe the Falcons can convince him he'll have his best opportunity to shine playing for a team fresh off a Super Bowl. And maybe the Falcons can convince him to sign -- for the right price.

http://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/26278/dontari-poe-might-be-out-of-falcons-price-range

I still believe he will be a Falcon. I'm just speculating but if no team is offering him a big long term contract and he wants a 1yr deal, why would the Colts, Jaguars, or Dolphins sign him? They are more than one player away from being serious contenders.

It makes sense for us to sign him to a one year deal but for the other three teams to secure him longer and build around him while they get their team together.

toadfishtom likes this

5 minutes ago, footballislyfe said:

ummmm so we broke. Don't we still have to sign trufant and freeman?

Not really.  There's a few things the team could do that wouldn't jeopardize the future.

I think the biggest reason the Falcons aren't going crazy in free agency is they have confidence in the team they have and that what they need, they can get in the draft or by waiting out the market.  It's a very young team and there's already 60+ either on contract or tendered...

If he truly is seeking to sign a 1 year deal to set himself up for a large, long term contract, this is the place to be.  Jacksonville is where you go to waste talent and Miami isn't far behind.  DQ has proven that he can put players in a position to succeed plus here he can rotate in and out more reducing the risk of injury.

All of this said, of course, through homer glasses but hey....what do you expect? :)   

26 minutes ago, capologist said:

Not really.  There's a few things the team could do that wouldn't jeopardize the future.

I think the biggest reason the Falcons aren't going crazy in free agency is they have confidence in the team they have and that what they need, they can get in the draft or by waiting out the market.  It's a very young team and there's already 60+ either on contract or tendered...

I agree cap.  We already have a solid group and they aren't about to panic. (like we do when seemingly nothing happens in FA)

9 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

Sounds like a perfect fit - Poe boy on a Poe team. 

:ninja:

Was holding out to see how long it would take to get that first Poe Boy! lol

I've never warmed up to the Poe idea him seeking a one year prove it deal says a lot. I think a lot of people around here are expecting to see the Poe from 2 years ago  

KC used the **** out of him and he held up well despite his back but his numbers have been declining. 

Its just me but I hate 1 year rental stop gap players to get us to next years draft and maybe just maybe we find our DT.

Im not sure but I believe Poe is only 26 years old and with Quinn's rotation maybe he would return to his old form.

My question if Poe signed with us had a great year would we have the cap next year to keep him here ? 

52 minutes ago, fourty4 said:

I still believe he will be a Falcon. I'm just speculating but if no team is offering him a big long term contract and he wants a 1yr deal, why would the Colts, Jaguars, or Dolphins sign him? They are more than one player away from being serious contenders.

It makes sense for us to sign him to a one year deal but for the other three teams to secure him longer and build around him while they get their team together.

I think Jacksonville is trying to drive up the price on the Colts. Jacksonville already have 2 NT's on the roster, so why would they add a 3rd? Aside from that Tom Coughlin drafted Jonathan Hankins in 2013 but surprisingly hasn't shown any interest.

I think it's easy, we just went to the sb, why not show out on that team knowing teams are gonna target you even more in fa next year.

I think he'll be back after realizing Miami and a recovering tannehill is gonna result in killing his back in a worn down defense lol

Atlanta has some of the best if not the best facilities in the league, maybe he will get some perspective after visiting Miamis giant canopy lol. 

55 minutes ago, Xfactor said:

I've never warmed up to the Poe idea him seeking a one year prove it deal says a lot. I think a lot of people around here are expecting to see the Poe from 2 years ago  

KC used the **** out of him and he held up well despite his back but his numbers have been declining. 

Its just me but I hate 1 year rental stop gap players to get us to next years draft and maybe just maybe we find our DT.

Im not sure but I believe Poe is only 26 years old and with Quinn's rotation maybe he would return to his old form.

My question if Poe signed with us had a great year would we have the cap next year to keep him here ? 

Regarding the cap, Falcons are entering a new phase that they have not been in during the Dimitroff regime - and this is not a swipe at TD so please don't turn it into this.    We now have a stacked roster with players in the pipeline deserving of big raises in the coming years.    Could we steal money from the future to make more cap space now?  Sure.....Matt Ryan's contract is a big place to steal money now - but it will cost you later - not sure that is the route to take.

Falcons are going to have to be very strategic (and careful!) going forward.

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Regarding the cap, Falcons are entering a new phase that they have not been in during the Dimitroff regime - and this is not a swipe at TD so please don't turn it into this.    We now have a stacked roster with players in the pipeline deserving of big raises in the coming years.    Could we steal money from the future to make more cap space now?  Sure.....Matt Ryan's contract is a big place to steal money now - but it will cost you later - not sure that is the route to take.

Falcons are going to have to be very strategic (and careful!) going forward.

I really wished Ryan would go the Brady route and take a sizeable amount, but not beat out Lucks contract. 

But I am afraid that is not the case. Yet, one more reason why Brady can't be human. That guys drive to win is insane. 

1 hour ago, kschreck said:

If he truly is seeking to sign a 1 year deal to set himself up for a large, long term contract, this is the place to be.  Jacksonville is where you go to waste talent and Miami isn't far behind.  DQ has proven that he can put players in a position to succeed plus here he can rotate in and out more reducing the risk of injury.

All of this said, of course, through homer glasses but hey....what do you expect? :)   

Don't get me wrong, I want the Falcons to get the very best players available. That said, NFL players have a very short shelf life. On the high side you may have 15 to 20 years to make as much money as you possibly can to provide for you and yours for the rest of your life. I'd love it if he took a Falcon friendly contract to come play for us.. I think he's a great fit and fills an important need for is. However, if I was in his shoes and  Jacksonville or Miami was offering me $1 million or $2 million more than the Falcons (and I think their tax structure is more favorable than Georgia's) I would go play in Florida.

22 minutes ago, quotemokc said:

Brady also has a wife that is worth $300million.

exactly!     apples and oranges

2 hours ago, Goober Pyle said:

Dontari Poe is not an Atlanta Falcon, at least not yet.

Poe, the top free-agent nose tackle and formerly of the Kansas City Chiefs, visited the Falcons' facility on Tuesday but left without a contract. It was the third stop on Poe's free-agent trek following visits to Indianapolis and Jacksonville.

Now Poe is in Miami visiting the Dolphins, as ESPN's Josina Anderson reported. The fact that he hasn't secured a contract yet makes you wonder about his asking price. It also raises questions about his health, with reported concerns about Poe's back.

If it is all about the money, it would be surprising if the Falcons get into a bidding war, considering general manager Thomas Dimitroff already implied the Falcons wouldn't make a big splash in free agency. Sure, Poe could have a great impact on a defensive line in need of help, and his athleticism is off the charts for a guy who stands 6-foot-3 and weighs 346 pounds. But giving Poe, let's say, $10-$12 million in a one-year deal doesn't seem like the best option, even if another team is offering the same. His replacement in Kansas City, Bennie Logan, just received a one-year, $8 million deal that included $7.68 million guaranteed.

The Falcons don't have a ton of cap space. The latest NFLPA figures have them at around $14.5 million. Meanwhile, the Jaguars have $47 million in cap space, according to numbers obtained by ESPN's Field Yates.

The other two teams on Poe's list -- the Colts and Dolphins -- have $37 million and $18 million in cap space, respectively, according to NFLPA figures.

We'll see how it all plays out from the Falcons' standpoint. They need to fill a hole at defensive tackle after cutting veteran Tyson Jackson and not re-signing veteran Jonathan Babineaux. They need a game-changing type player who can stop the run and has pass-rush ability. Poe has to the potential to be that guy, but will he consistently be that type of player? His production dropped the last two seasons after Pro Bowl showings in 2013 and 2014.

The Falcons have gone the bargain route with their other free-agent signings thus far, so maybe spending big on one wouldn't be all that bad. But again, it's hard to imagine the Falcons getting into a bidding war, especially against the cap-rich Jaguars.

Poe's willingness to accept a one-year deal seems to indicate the 26-year-old wants to prove himself and secure a lucrative, long-term deal after the 2017 season. Maybe the Falcons can convince him he'll have his best opportunity to shine playing for a team fresh off a Super Bowl. And maybe the Falcons can convince him to sign -- for the right price.

http://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/26278/dontari-poe-might-be-out-of-falcons-price-range

Does this really say anything? Just a lot of speculation.