Falcons potential 1st round pick

atlbaby

44 minutes ago, slimjim said:

Maybe Barnett? He isn't going to be at 31 though. I don't heavily scout myself and rely on most mocks/big boards general analysis. Sometimes this doesn't truly mean "best first step" in the way others would define it. If I were a scouting man though...I'll let resident mock guru's that watch tape give their opinions, but it still boils down to if DQ sees the first step the same way we do (read, technique required in Quinn's defense and can he keeps explosion off the spots DQ asks while maintaining motor/pass rush skills developed in general).

Another thing to consider is that most first year pass rushers from DE; unless they are of the caliber of a Myles Garrett, really won't do much in their first year in the NFL. It's more reasonable to expect a first year player at 31(essentially a 2nd rounder) to perform in a rotation in year 1 without expectations on numbers, but rather acclimating them to NFL caliber OTs and rushing with their fellow DL; let alone their own technique for true 1 on 1s which is everyone's dream. Let's not forget Jamaal Anderson.

EDIT: Didn't know we were comparing apples and oranges. Yeah, a converted LB might get a better first step...if he can become a DE/bulk up enough and keep his overall speed but burst out of stance is something conversion takes time to get elite in caliber. Beasley struggled mightily in year 1 due to the jump to NFL.

I rely on what i see on the field. I didn't see a de with a quicker first step. I say that to say Williams would be my clear cut pick if he's there at 31. DQ can develop the rest of his game. Give me the intangible that sets you apart. Howard is comparable to Evan Ingram but has a height and reach advantage over Ingram while not being that much slower and to me is a better blocker. Howard can also give an already record setting offense another red zone threat. That's why i say if either one is available at 31 grab them if not just take the best player available regardless of position if you can't trade back. After all it's a luxury pick.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Kung-Pow said:

I could get jiggy with this. He was absolutely one of the guys I targeted after his combine as a potential second or third round draft choice. 

We are so fortunate that this draft is absolutely loaded with amazing talent that we improve no matter which way we decide to draft. And that's not to mention the guys that may slide due to potential off-field issues, real or otherwise. 

Very exciting time to be a Falcons fan right now. Are you ready for some football? :D

I'd take him in 1st if everything is legit. His work ethic , discipline and combine put him on an elite level. He seems like the kid who does everything necessary for an A+ grade in class while being polite --a military type kid. I'd go DT in the 2nd.

I wouldn't be too upset but I think he's more of a 2'nd rounder, and not necessarily an early 2'nd. I see him as a safer pick with lower upside. It's hard to teach instinct and bend, and impossible to teach length and weight. I think there are guys that are larger pieces of clay to mold, if you will. 

51 minutes ago, joe_fishback said:

I rely on what i see on the field. I didn't see a de with a quicker first step. I say that to say Williams would be my clear cut pick if he's there at 31. DQ can develop the rest of his game. Give me the intangible that sets you apart. Howard is comparable to Evan Ingram but has a height and reach advantage over Ingram while not being that much slower and to me is a better blocker. Howard can also give an already record setting offense another red zone threat. That's why i say if either one is available at 31 grab them if not just take the best player available regardless of position if you can't trade back. After all it's a luxury pick.

Not bad. I just want RG secured in another way if not before the draft and BPA is over OL at 31; etc.

29 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

I wouldn't be too upset but I think he's more of a 2'nd rounder, and not necessarily an early 2'nd. I see him as a safer pick with lower upside. It's hard to teach instinct and bend, and impossible to teach length and weight. I think there are guys that are larger pieces of clay to mold, if you will. 

I agree, but I highly doubt he'll be there at 62 either. So at the end of the day, it all comes down to what Quinn wants, similarly to the Neal pick a year ago. 

Seems his skill-set checks alot of the boxes Quinn looks for. 

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I agree, but I highly doubt he'll be there at 62 either. So at the end of the day, it all comes down to what Quinn wants, similarly to the Neal pick a year ago. 

Seems his skill-set checks alot of the boxes Quinn looks for. 

Yeah I doubt he'll be there either. I would definitely take him if he were, but I suspect he's our first pick or nothing. Like I said I wouldn't be mad, and if Quinn grabs him I'll trust it, I just think we can probably do something better with our first pick. There are guys very much like Willis, without much of a physical dropoff, that'll still be there in the 3'rd/4'th for us to take, if we want them. 

5 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

I don't think he has the get off DQ likes. I think he is the classic work out warrior

Not too impressed by the tape. I don't see him shedding many blocks and doesn't have many moves. Maybe it's coachable and that athleticism can definitely be a tool in an athletic defense but It's not worth picking him in the 1st with so many others available.

DE

JORDAN WILLIS

KANSAS ST.  BIG 12

Photo of Jordan Willis

fb-like.png
share-button.png

View Prospects By Name By Position By College By Grade 

COMBINE RESULTS

GRADE
5.66?
  • 4.53 SEC
    Top Performer
  • 24 REPS
  • 39.0 INCH
    Top Performer
  • 125.0 INCH
  • 6.85 SEC
    Top Performer
  • 4.28 SEC
    Top Performer
BLUE STAR  =  COMBINE TOP PERFORMER

• 6'4"HEIGHT
  • 33 1/2"ARM LENGTH
  • 255LBS.WEIGHT
  • 9 7/8"HANDS

OVERVIEW

Long-time Kansas State head coach Bill Snyder called Willis "the epitome" of Kansas State football. That's high praise from a Hall of Fame coach who has led the program all but three years since 1989. Willis earned that praise with his play on the field and attitude off of it. He was the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year in 2016 and also garnered third-team Associated Press All-American honors, as he made 52 tackles and led his team with 17.5 tackles for loss and topped the conference with 11.5 sacks. Big 12 coaches and media inexplicably left Willis off their all-conference teams in 2015, even though he started every game and made 15.5 tackles for loss and 9.5 sacks, while forcing four fumbles (tied for ninth nationally). Willis started each game for the Wildcats as a sophomore, as well (25 stops, 6.5 for loss, four sacks). The Kansas City Star All-Metro pick as a high school senior played in nine games (his one tackle was a sack) his first year in Manhattan.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Good eyes vs. zone read; sees mesh point clearly. Quick responder once he diagnoses the action. Excellent change of direction ability to stay in the hunt. Finishes tackles, rarely allowing runners to escape grasp. Pursuit will not stop until the whistle blows. Proficient with hands. Hands are strong and control the action. Well-schooled with excellent stack-and-shed ability. Good strength in base and plays with adequate contact balance. Stays clean setting edge while spying into backfield. Uses blockers' forward lean against them, sends them tumbling forward. Arm over is a pet move that gives him early wins. Track-stance pass rusher who comes out of the blocks with decent burst to the edge. Hard worker. Productive in sacks and forced fumbles over final two seasons at KSU.

WEAKNESSES

Straight-liner mover. Very deliberate as a pass rusher. Shows rush moves early and rarely deviates from original track. One-speed rusher lacking dynamic qualities to turn corner for tight loops. Could get flattened in the rush arc due to hip tightness. Timing of hands need work as he tends to shoot prematurely, opening himself up to counter moves. Rarely makes tackles redirect inside with sharp counters. Tackles often come at angles. Might need to move to outside linebacker on next level.

NFL COMPARISON

Kyle Emanuel

BOTTOM LINE

Productive three-year starter who plays with desired motor from whistle to whistle. Willis is a stack-and-shed edge defender with good play strength and quality hand work at the point of attack. He will need more creativity to be an effective NFL pass rusher, but he should be able to earn a roster spot and work his way up the pecking order in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme. -Lance Zierlein

5 hours ago, ZoneOne01 said:

Willis is a strange prospect. His combine numbers don't always show up on film but it definitely does from time to time. 

He's probably our best bet at getting an impact Edge player at 31. I'd be down with him or Watt being our pick. 

In this clip the RDE's get off was superb. 

1 hour ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

Not too impressed by the tape. I don't see him shedding many blocks and doesn't have many moves. Maybe it's coachable and that athleticism can definitely be a tool in an athletic defense but It's not worth picking him in the 1st with so many others available.

Like who? All the others most likely to be there at 31 have their flaws/drawbacks/weaknesses as well. 

Edited by Vandy

Like him a lot.  All it takes is a Dline coach to see the traits in him that meet fit, form & function in their scheme and he could go in the 1st.  

You just never know.  Every year we see guys come off the board in the 1st round and you say to yourself..."man, wonder why I didn't see him on my radar?"

I think both sides of the argument are correct.  His tape might be deceiving, he comes across more lumbering that he really is.  He clearly has to work on his pass rush moves and learning to immediately adjust to what the DT is trying to do, rather than continue on his preset course.  That's what Beasley started doing last year. 

4 hours ago, BamaBirdLady said:

I think the reason he has been under the radar is because the Big XII isn't  really known for it's  stout defenses, like the the schools you mentioned or several others. And the fact that they are not seen as a powerhouse. Not that those factors determine if a player will be successful in the NFL, there are so many players, HOF players, from smaller schools, but it does effect their national exposure. 

I didn't  know a whole lot about him, but since this post I have watched some tape and with his numbers at combine he looks really good. Still don't know enough  to say if he is good for 1st round, but he does seem to have it all!

Traditionally speaking, if the Big XII is known for anything, it's tough-nosed defenses. From the black shirts of Nebraska all the way down to Iowa, they play defense. I'm not arguing any of the points you're making because you're right, I think there is a perception issue at play here.

I'm gonna be completely honest, I had never heard of the kid either until this thread, but after a few clicks you find out this kid has been ballin' for a while. Looks like the perfect compliment opposite Beasley. 

26 minutes ago, uga_falcons_braves said:

Traditionally speaking, if the Big XII is known for anything, it's tough-nosed defenses. From the black shirts of Nebraska all the way down to Iowa, they play defense. I'm not arguing any of the points you're making because you're right, I think there is a perception issue at play here.

I'm gonna be completely honest, I had never heard of the kid either until this thread, but after a few clicks you find out this kid has been ballin' for a while. Looks like the perfect compliment opposite Beasley. 

Nebraska and Iowa are in the Big 10...