Jump to content

- Dimarco... - Worrilow... - Weems... - Robinson.... + Crawford....


Capitalist

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Bottom line is, I'm not trying to say free agency is useless. What I'm saying is that difference makers in free agency are rare. We have Mack and Turner in 10 years. Guys like TJax, Soliai, Asomoah, DRob, Edwards etc were terrible signings for how much they cost. Get me cheap depth guys. Draft your future stars 

None of those guys were bad signings except Edwards.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jumpin Jehosaphat said:

Look, I'm not looking to argue here, but was only trying to gently point out that your blanket statement about the lack of quality free agent signings over the last is a tad short-sighted to say the least.  But, as always, you are entitled to your own opinions - even if off base.  I don't think "big name guys that want to get paid" is the only metric in assessing quality FA's that do improve the team.  Given the putrid history of our beloved franchise, why would any "big name guys" have ever wanted to sign here anyway?

 

I think solid FA's like Sanu and Gabriel should be celebrated FA signings because they are under the radar type of pick ups.  Any GM can receive kudos for signing away big names...our front office has actually excelled recently in signing some lesser known gems.  I'll take that and be happy with it, comrade.

 

 

We are good man. I admitted I worded my first post poorly. Was rushing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

I admit I winced when I heard DiMarco was gone, and I don't like losing Robinson either. But I love the way Quinn and the FO have dramatically reshaped this roster and lifted this team up into the NFL elite in only two years' time.

Not even going to try to understand their thinking. I know that whatever the thinking is, it's firmly rooted in a plan that has already borne some lofty results in this town. I'm just going to sit back and see what develops with an open mind and a sense of optimism and anticipation.

After a surprising Super Bowl appearance I can give them loads of leeway,especially this early lets see where they are game one of the regular season. When you get down to it what free agent signing lead to the best success last year for any team? Alex Mack by this front office, they know they got needs and they will be addressed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

After a surprising Super Bowl appearance I can give them loads of leeway,especially this early lets see where they are game one of the regular season. When you get down to it what free agent signing lead to the best success last year for any team? Alex Mack by this front office, they know they got needs and they will be addressed. 

Nice you brought that up, because it was precisely when they signed Alex Mack I quit worrying about roster moves. Clearly the FO finally was on-track with its priorities and things would be improving rapidly from there forward. And indeed, we're ahead of schedule by even the most optimistic of timetables.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Bottom line is, I'm not trying to say free agency is useless. What I'm saying is that difference makers in free agency are rare. We have Mack and Turner in 10 years. Guys like TJax, Soliai, Asomoah, DRob, Edwards etc were terrible signings for how much they cost. Get me cheap depth guys. Draft your future stars 

Your Point being that most splashy free agent signings are desperation moves by mediocre teams who don't draft well. 

I tend to agree. We need to get a vet OG as vet DT (and I think they will once asking prices get more realistic). but we aren't in same position of a Jacksonville overpaying a 30 something year old C Campbell or 49ers overpaying for P Garçon just to appease fan base. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shock said:

You're really complaining about losing Worrilow, Robinson, and Weems...?? Come on man. DiMarco I can understand a bit more because he actually contributed more consistently. The rest are easily replaceable. LaRoy Reynolds > Worrilow and is cheaper. 

Actually I think we're getting rid of the dead weight and missed out on one very good player that can be replaced in the draft by an even younger more athletic player. If we land Poe and get what we need in the draft suddenly it looks like we won in free agency and continued building through the draft. I trust the process. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Your Point being that most splashy free agent signings are desperation moves by mediocre teams who don't draft well. 

I tend to agree. We need to get a vet OG as vet DT (and I think they will once asking prices get more realistic). but we aren't in same position of a Jacksonville overpaying a 30 something year old C Campbell or 49ers overpaying for P Garçon just to appease fan base. 

And yet we have fans who call for it on a yearly basis. The Eric Berry threads. The Kawann Short threads. The Calais Campbell threads....

This is the truth behind free agency. Players as good as Berry and Short never actually see the open market. And there's a reason. The players that actually DO hit the open market, are in the open market for a reason...whether it's a talent issue or personality issue, there's some kind of baggage there. Organizations don't let their best players get away. Why do you think the Lions let go of Suh? Or the Bills let Byrd walk after a monster break out year? 

I'm all for signing depth. But I just get irritated when our fans year after year demand "high quality" free agents. Our team went to the super bowl last year because of 2 extremely good drafts. Not because we broke the bank on the best unemployed players 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Thank God on Weems...he cost us all the time and big in the SB running the ball out to the 14 yardline with 57 second left when he should've downed it.  Good riddance sick of his mistakes...we need a real KR

I could not for the life of me understand why they let him FU for so long!I like him a lot but not as a returner,why not Devin Fuller or Nick Williams.Nick played his heart out every time he got a shot.He was faster and I do not believe he would have made the same boneheaded mistakes over and over.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like we are losing more than we are gaining at the moment, but everyone jumping in to the FA pool is throwing around huge money. 

We're waiting it out and letting the big spenders blow their wads before we do anything. It'll all be worth the wait I'm sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, jimifalcon said:

I could not for the life of me understand why they let him FU for so long!I like him a lot but not as a returner,why not Devin Fuller or Nick Williams.Nick played his heart out every time he got a shot.He was faster and I do not believe he would have made the same boneheaded mistakes over and over.

I question why Gabriel was not tried as a returner?  I dynamic returner can make a difference.  Yes, Weems was bone-headed, especially a couple of the dumb things he did in the SB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...