Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Capitalist

- Dimarco... - Worrilow... - Weems... - Robinson.... + Crawford....

71 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I think we will be ok too....... cupboard is kinda bare right now.

If we make a splash on defense.. I would rather it be Hightower than Poe IMO...I do not think Poe gives us any more than Hageman does........ and Hageman  is  in a contract year and if he commits himself this off season I think he is poised  for  monster year

Poe just replaces tye heavy lifting that Jackson did. And we need that. Jackson gets a lot of flack here because ppl wanted stats but his job is to do the heavy lifting in the run game. The dirty work. That's Poe's job in KC and if he came here it would be his job here as well. Same with Logan and Hankins. I don't see any of them being more than 2 down guys. As for Hightower where would we use him? He'd be a 2 down LB with us unless he plays LEO but when them he'd be 2 down. I think for our style of play Hightower would waist his talents here because of young studs Jones and Campbell. Unless he's happy with being a 2 down SLB then I'd be cool but for that the price would have to make sense. 

Vandy likes this

25 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Free agency is fools gold. The draft is diamonds in the rough. In the last 10 years, the Falcons have 1 good free agency signing...Michael Turner. Otherwise, I can't think of a free agent the team signed that significantly improved the team

Yeah...whoever was behind signing those bums Alex Mack and Tony Gonzalez need their arses kicked up to their shoulder blades

Time to put your thinking cap back on, my friend...

raysnill1 likes this

43 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Free agency is fools gold. The draft is diamonds in the rough. In the last 10 years, the Falcons have 1 good free agency signing...Michael Turner. Otherwise, I can't think of a free agent the team signed that significantly improved the team

Alex Mack and Dwight Freeney both say hi.

13 minutes ago, Jumpin Jehosaphat said:

Yeah...whoever was behind signing those bums Alex Mack and Tony Gonzalez need their arses kicked up to their shoulder blades

Tony Gonzalez was a trade.

45 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Um   Mack last year

16 minutes ago, Jumpin Jehosaphat said:

Tony Gonzalez was a trade. But you're right about Mack. So that's 2 in 10 years....friend 

4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Alex Mack and Dwight Freeney both say hi.

I'm down for guys like Freeney for cheap. And I did forget about Mack. But, Mack and Turner are 2 significant difference makers in 10 years. That's not very much

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

See my post directly above 

yep. posted after reading 1st page, should have read on thru but couldnt believe someone would say that

2 hours ago, PK Manley said:

We'll see how it all shakes out...we're not even 24 hours in to FA yet.  I do know that paying Robinson the 2 years, $6 million that he's getting from the 49ers to be our WR 4/5 wouldn't have helped us in filling those other needs.

Maybe Tony Martin can come out of retirement to replace Robinson.

1 hour ago, SyCo said:

I'm not saying it's the end of the world but looking back over the past several seasons when we failed to address our major needs with quality players, it showed during the season. Not to say that haven't tried.. who knows,  maybe the money isn't right for the type of player they need.. but we really needed to land a good guard or strengthen up the dline which is pitiful.  There's only so much we can do in the draft

So most likely we'll end up signing cast offs and hope for the best.  That typically doesn't work. 

Look at what DQ has done in the past two years.  How about we let the professionals do their job!! I think they know a little bit more than we do about what's going on within the organization. Granted, we lost the SB but  we got there because we are a **** good team. I'm sure the FO and DQ are gonna do what they can do with what little money we do have to make us an even better team.  God knows, a lot of us have suffered through so many miserable seasons.  how about we enjoy where we are now and where were headed. Everyone on this board knows that we have it really good right now and  I do believe it's only going to get better! 

3 minutes ago, Slappywhite said:

yep. posted after reading 1st page, should have read on thru but couldnt believe someone would say that

Bottom line is, I'm not trying to say free agency is useless. What I'm saying is that difference makers in free agency are rare. We have Mack and Turner in 10 years. Guys like TJax, Soliai, Asomoah, DRob, Edwards etc were terrible signings for how much they cost. Get me cheap depth guys. Draft your future stars 

3 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Tony Gonzalez was a trade. But you're right about Mack. So that's 2 in 10 years....friend 

This is Quinn's 3rd year so FA should only count on his tenure. As for difference makers in FA under quinn

Mack

Sanu

Gabriel

Levitre

Freeney because of tue development of Beasley 

Thats 5 difference makers in 2 seasons. They all impacted our success. Or are you just talking about big names when you speak of difference makers because big names are not the only guys that are difference makers. Many big name guy's bust out for the best team because they got paid. 

Slappywhite likes this

3 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Ovie 

Absolutely. I was one of the ones that hated that signing because it was an insane amount of money to pay to a FB who the Ravens had never used as a runner or receiver. But he was a dynamite blocker and a very good receiver. Funny that he left the Ravens for the Falcons as the highest paid FB in NFL history. Fast forward 10 years and now history has kinda repeated itself.

Just now, JD dirtybird21 said:

Bottom line is, I'm not trying to say free agency is useless. What I'm saying is that difference makers in free agency are rare. We have Mack and Turner in 10 years. Guys like TJax, Soliai, Asomoah, DRob, Edwards etc were terrible signings for how much they cost. Get me cheap depth guys. Draft your future stars 

I agree with drafting your stars. That's how great teams are built. But I can say Quinn has got some difference makers in FA since he's been here for good prices. 

1 minute ago, TheFatboi said:

This is Quinn's 3rd year so FA should only count on his tenure. As for difference makers in FA under quinn

Mack

Sanu

Gabriel

Levitre

Freeney because of tue development of Beasley 

Thats 5 difference makers in 2 seasons. They all impacted our success. Or are you just talking about big names when you speak of difference makers because big names are not the only guys that are difference makers. Many big name guy's bust out for the best team because they got paid. 

I'm talking big name guys that want to get paid. I agree with your list with the exception of Sanu. I don't think he's a difference maker, I think he's solid but a little overpaid. And Levitre was a trade. I just don't like when fans blow up about not getting aggressive in free agency. The guys are free agents for a reason

TheFatboi likes this

5 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Totally agree JD

JD dirtybird21 likes this

Nick Willams is a better fit as possession receiver in 4/5 slot in our offense. Falcons drafted Devin Fuller in 7th round last year.  He has sub 4.4 speed and can return punts. We may also find a receiver in FA or mid-late round of the draft.  

Worrlow could have provided depth but Falcons wasn't going to over pay to keep him. Weems had value as gunner but didn't add much value as returner.  

We can find a sutable replacement for DeMarco in FA or draft.  Perhaps a FB bigger and nastier that can also tote the ball.  DeMarco is small for a FB and had 0 carries last year.     

1 minute ago, Slappywhite said:

Totally agree JD

Ive been one of the people yelling, **** no, dont trade any picks , we do to well in the draft, I like using FA to fill an immediate need , but no way to build a team.

5 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I'm talking big name guys that want to get paid. I agree with your list with the exception of Sanu. I don't think he's a difference maker, I think he's solid but a little overpaid. And Levitre was a trade. I just don't like when fans blow up about not getting aggressive in free agency. The guys are free agents for a reason

Yea I don't want big names looking for a pay day. It as I say other teams FA's. Let's make our own stars and get difference makers for value in FA. I get your point now. 

12 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Look, I'm not looking to argue here, but was only trying to gently point out that your blanket statement about the lack of quality free agent signings over the last is a tad short-sighted to say the least.  But, as always, you are entitled to your own opinions - even if off base.  I don't think "big name guys that want to get paid" is the only metric in assessing quality FA's that do improve the team.  Given the putrid history of our beloved franchise, why would any "big name guys" have ever wanted to sign here anyway?

I think solid FA's like Sanu and Gabriel should be celebrated FA signings because they are under the radar type of pick ups.  Any GM can receive kudos for signing away big names...our front office has actually excelled recently in signing some lesser known gems.  I'll take that and be happy with it, comrade.

5 minutes ago, cyofish said:

Nick Willams is a better fit as possession receiver in 4/5 slot in our offense. Falcons drafted Devin Fuller in 7th round last year.  He has sub 4.4 speed and can return punts. We may also find a receiver in FA or mid-late round of the draft.  

Worrlow could have provided depth but Falcons wasn't going to over pay to keep him. Weems had value as gunner but didn't add much value as returner.  

We can find a sutable replacement for DeMarco in FA or draft.  Perhaps a FB bigger and nastier that can also tote the ball.  DeMarco is small for a FB and had 0 carries last year.     

We don't need a big FB in this system. You're hardly gonna find big burley FB's in the wco. Instead it'll be FB's that can block and catch with some speed. 

6 minutes ago, Slappywhite said:

Ive been one of the people yelling, **** no, dont trade any picks , we do to well in the draft, I like using FA to fill an immediate need , but no way to build a team.

With how great the last 2 drafts have been, we as fans should have 100% trust in Quinn and TD to draft the right guys.