Poe Update - Still Linked to Falcons

1 hour ago, rbrick28 said:

Makes a ton of sense bc he wants to go to a team where he can attack and rush the passer more instead of being just a true 3-4 two gap run stuffer.

Yup .. I read something about him wanting to rush more .... He would like the scheme.... Attack

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, takeitdown said:

Yeah.  The remake was the part I was saying to do like Upshaw.  But yes, Upshaw went from LB to DL and went up in size....Poe would be going from NTish to DT ish, and showing more pass rush (and likely slimmer).

He already moves really well for 340+ would imagine him dropping down to 325-330 is a reasonable idea keeps that bulk/strength but probably lil better on his back and burst

I think get Poe on a 1 year deal and bring back Freeney on same vet contract like last year (*Asterisk play 2 positions)

DE: Beasley*, Clayborn, Freeney, Shelby, Reed*, Crawford*, Upshaw*

DT: Poe, Jarrett, Hageman, Garland, Crawford*, Upshaw*, Shelby*

LB: D. Jones, D. Campbell, B. Reed*, V. Beasley*, L. Reynolds, K. Ishmael*

Then in draft you get to got BPA most likely with 1st pick unless you target guard but top 4 picks you target these spots (G,DT,LB, S & DE) 

• Brantley DT
  • Mcdowell DT
  • Lamp G
  • Freeney G
  • D. Johnson G
  • B. Baker S
  • T.J. Watt LB/DE
  • D. Riley LB

Anyone of these guys could be good get's in the first 3 rounds

*Wouldn't be shocked if T.J. Watt falls to the mid 2nd round to see Falcons trade up a pick to get him and then cut Brooks Reed, the basically are same type players but TJ has a good bit more upsize and would save Falcons about 4 million dollars

Edited by malak07

Poe would be a nice signing. Get him to slim down 15-20 lbs playing weight and have him primarily for 2 down, but still rotate situationally if he proves himself a rusher and either way its a win/win.

You keep other linemen fresh for pass rushing personnel groupings and as a bonus he could come in and get his sack numbers up again. Weren't Clayborn/Upshaw/Jackson doing the DE/DT lineup dance last year anyway(Hagemen too?)? Seems like Quinn tries to avoid the big body in general, but Poe has enough talent to convert to a 1-gap system if you get someone to work on his weight just a bit. Plus, he is still really young.

Signing a legit starting caliber DT is the point. You free up your other offseason moves away from the DT position; even if you just wanted one middle of the draft, you now can prioritize the OL / DE in first couple rounds and other non-LOS positions throughout the draft.

Edited by slimjim
11 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

So he is not here.

Indy wants him long term but as we know he wants a 1 year deal as a pass rusher to increase his value. So unless Indy offers a boatload all of a sudden I don't see that happeneing. Today he is visiting with Jacksonville I could actually see him signing there because he can rush the passer and they have all that cash.

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

Indy wants him long term but as we know he wants a 1 year deal as a pass rusher to increase his value. So unless Indy offers a boatload all of a sudden I don't see that happeneing. Today he is visiting with Jacksonville I could actually see him signing there because he can rush the passer and they have all that cash.

This is true

Poe knows his situation very well.  He did not meet expectations last season, so his long term value is reduced.  Apparently, he is very confident in his health and ability.  He wants a one-year deal to show the league that he is worthy of a lucrative contract.  

Let's sign him to a one-year deal.  If he is dominant, we improve our chances of returning to the Super Bowl and we have the inside track to re-signing him to an extension.  IF he is so-so, we will still have a solid NT that can be extended for a reasonable sum.  

I think we will sign him.