Anyone know whaglt Trufant's 5th year option is account for towards our cap currently?

I read somewhere he is already account for 8M, so if his new deal is 10M year q, thats only an additional 2M off our $27M

I really hope we grab one of the solid G and TE in FA. Continue to build the D through the draft.

3 minutes ago, KCartledge85 said:

Anyone know whaglt Trufant's 5th year option is account for towards our cap currently?

I read somewhere he is already account for 8M, so if his new deal is 10M year q, thats only an additional 2M off our $27M

I really hope we grab one of the solid G and TE in FA. Continue to build the D through the draft.

Keep in mind contracts are usually much cheaper in the first few years than the "Yearly average", so a new long term contract would probably save us space even if it were for 10/per. 

29 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

We don't have 27 mil. We have 18 mil.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/atlanta-falcons

And if we re-sign Tru that contract could be balanced any number of ways. The cap hit could go down 5 mil, could go up 5 mil, could stay the same.

Spotrac says we have 24mil. So I doubt it's as low as 18mil when overthecap is the only site with us less than 20. 

45 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

We don't have 27 mil. We have 18 mil.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/atlanta-falcons

And if we re-sign Tru that contract could be balanced any number of ways. The cap hit could go down 5 mil, could go up 5 mil, could stay the same.

Just to add to your point, when we extended Matt and Julio with a year left, their cap hits stayed pretty much the same in the first year.

2 hours ago, KCartledge85 said:

If I was us I'd pickup his 5th year option at 8 which is probably already factored into the cap then structure the extension accordingly.

12 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

If I was us I'd pickup his 5th year option at 8 which is probably already factored into the cap then structure the extension accordingly.

They had to decide on it last year...they picked it up and it is factored into cap space estimates.

One thing I just thought of is that they'll have to decide on Matthews' 5th year option this offseason.  I assume they'll pick it up, but as a top 10 pick, it won't be cheap, particularly at a premium position like that.  It is only guaranteed for injury though.

Matthews has been good, but still hasn't emerged into the guy we drafted 6th overall to be.  I see talk of him needing to be paid big soon, but I'd rather let it play out a bit and make sure he looks to be taking that next step first before his big payday.

3 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

10 milis best case scenario, hometown discount. Get used to 5 yr 65 mil area. Freeman will get 10mil at most (from us) but most likely 5 yr/35-50 mil. Gabe is gonna get like 5 at most. He feels lucky as **** that he isn't returning kickoffs for the Browns. 

I doubt that Free gets 10M. That's a lot to tie up in a rb. And, I would venture to say that Tru would be a bigger priority than Free if dollars are an issue

3 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

10 milis best case scenario, hometown discount. Get used to 5 yr 65 mil area. Freeman will get 10mil at most (from us) but most likely 5 yr/35-50 mil. Gabe is gonna get like 5 at most. He feels lucky as **** that he isn't returning kickoffs for the Browns. 

Where do you guys keep getting that 10mil number from? Neither the Falcons nor any other team is going to give Freeman 10 million per year. 

I hope responsible fiscal decisions are made at all positions so we can continue to re-sign the talent we have begun to assemble, I like the idea of using Tru's contract to pay money now and not defer to the future when our young guys will command good new contracts.

I think we finally have a front office that knows what they are doing....Mr. Blank assembled a top notch team to make the tough calls.

In Blank I trust!

4 hours ago, FentayeJones said:

Where do you guys keep getting that 10mil number from? Neither the Falcons nor any other team is going to give Freeman 10 million per year. 

From Free's comment, or his agent's comment, that he wants to be paid as a top back.

I agree that 10 mil isn't going to happen. 

On 3/5/2017 at 5:09 PM, KCartledge85 said:

I wonder if the difference in our cap reportings is Tru's 5th year option.

This is because we are not realizing that we HAVE 23 million in cap space but about 5 or so million of that will be used for the NFL Draft so it is set aside essentially even though we havent spent it.  So if you think of it this way it would be easy to understand, if we traded away all of our draft picks, then we would be back to 23 million. And since we are drafting so low in each of our rounds, we are going to be spending significantly less than most teams in this draft unless we trade up out of these spots.

Edited by federicofalcon2
Added explanation to my statement
On 3/5/2017 at 8:09 PM, KCartledge85 said:

I wonder if the difference in our cap reportings is Tru's 5th year option.

On 3/5/2017 at 8:32 PM, Falcanuck said:

Spotrac says we have 24mil. So I doubt it's as low as 18mil when overthecap is the only site with us less than 20. 

Emailed the guy at Over The Cap about the difference. He said it's 3-4 things.

One, the other site has Alford having a signing bonus that's prorated when he actually has a roster bonus that isn't prorated.

Free hit a performance escalator in his contract, so he's getting more money.

The other site is only listing 46 players, while OTCis listing 51.

2 hours ago, falconidae said:

One, the other site has Alford having a signing bonus that's prorated when he actually has a roster bonus that isn't prorated.

Thanks. Was trying to remember who emailed that guy as I couldn't find the thread.

5 hours ago, falconidae said:

Appreciate the info