Atlanta Falcon's Player Grades

damo9000

Hey Guys.  Some friends and I have started a new website that will grade NFL players on a per games basis.  It is still in the beta stage, but we have the playoff games for the 2016 season up.  Being a lifelong Falcons fan, I wanted to get some feedback on the new website from you guys, but I don't know if I am allowed to list web address here in the forum, so if you would like to take a look pls message me and Ill send the link.  Specially we want to know how people feel about the grading methods and procedures, as well as the actual grades. (spolier, Deion Jones had a great post-season, Jake Matthews-not so much)  Thanks for helping

OK, here is the link. Smiler you can read about the grading procedures on the site.  Basically, it takes into account each play, how the player performs and how its compares to the optimal outcomes.  Im looking for input thought, so if you take a look please provide some criticism. 

www.playergrades.com

Mods, if this is considered advertising, please feel free to remove.  Though note, this is a fan site free of charge and ads.  Thanks

Edited by damo9000

Nice.  Poured over the Atlanta games and found that I mostly agreed.  Is this a simple play by play system, is it "expectations"-based and/or do you contextualize plays (down and distance, score, time on clock etc..).  If you have a guy with 2 missed tackles, do you grade him only on the missed tackles or do you consider that he saw he had help and went for the ball (and missed).  The biggest flaws I see in these systems (beyond their subjectivity) is that they can grade the actions but not the context for those actions and mitigating factors.

Look forward to future numbers to see if this one holds up to the eye test better than PFF.  I personally thought your grades for Beasley were pretty low.  He was invisible but I didn't see him as a particular liability that the -4 would suggest on a +/-5 system.

Yes, the system is a basic play by play grading, nothing is contextualized. So in short, it is a non-DVOA method.  For the most part, it is simple to evaluate players.  It becomes difficult in certain areas.  Safety is a position that is difficult to grade esp in a zone scheme.  D-lineman dropping into zone coverage and certain linebacker coverages also can be problematic to simple grading systems.  We feel it is however the best way to give an overall evaluation of players. We have discussed ways to take game situations into account, but have not agreed upon a way to do this. I do agree this is a flaw in our system.  For example in our system, with the score being Atlanta 35 - Rams 3, a 27 yard Rams completion would be scored the same as it would as if it were the first play of the game.

Maybe we were harsh on Beasley, I'd have to check.  Thank you for your insight and comment and please continue to check in on the site