Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VA F.O.

March 2017 UGA Recruiting Thread

115 posts in this topic

Big dude... 6'9" 390... Down at IMG currently but not rated particularly high at the moment... not that OL is a position that has as much correlation between rating and future success, just something to be aware of. 330ish nationally, mid-high 3* right now.

Apparently had this guy in town over the weekend as well. Didn't see any pics or anything, and kind of the typical generic positive remarks after a visit, so not sure if anything to be made out of it... at least not right now.

21 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Big dude... 6'9" 390... Down at IMG currently but not rated particularly high at the moment... not that OL is a position that has as much correlation between rating and future success, just something to be aware of. 330ish nationally, mid-high 3* right now.

I remember reading somewhere where someone said that, with numbers being tight this year, and with Wray already committed, and Salyer and Hill both really high on UGA (if not already silents), that it allows Pittman to pretty much just sit back, offer who he's intrigued by, recruit at his leisure, and then, depending on exact numbers for the class, just pick whoever he wants for a possible 4th spot.

FYI, this kid has never played a single snap of HS FB. He's an Australian born, who transferred to IMG last August after attending a Michigan Satellite camp in Melbourne. He measured in at the Opening regionals at  6-8 and 400 lbs, and was said to carry it well, not looking like he's overweight at that weight at all, but rather looking like the prototype elite OT prospect. He's been spending the last year learning the craft at OT, and is expected to hit the field this coming season, after spending the summer touring camps.

His offer list is already 17 strong, with 7 SEC schools, including Alabama, Auburn, and LSU.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/recruiting/story/_/id/18546993/how-17-year-old-australian-giant-no-football-experience-became-recruiting-sensation

fibonaccisquared likes this

Faalele is a BIG dude. Pittman is a fairly large guy himself and he looks small beside Faalele.

1 hour ago, Carter said:

Sounds like we might be getting a commit this week!

Up for a game of 20 questions? =)

56 minutes ago, AutumnEffect said:

Up for a game of 20 questions? =)

I wish I knew lol... your guess is as good as mine, maybe even better. I'm not seeing any details being spilled, they don't want to kill his moment. I'm going to guess Salyer, but it may very well be someone else.

Heard Cox ('18) and Haselwood ('19)  have also been very close to pulling the trigger.  Believe a couple of kids were supposed to commit last month but delayed it.  Have no clue if either of these two are the ones though.

There are a ton of top players who I'd love to see commit, but, looking at the current state of the 18 and 19 classes, and who we have committed, I'm more interested in a "type" of commit than a particular one.

I think that we need that spark for this class, that guy who other guys want to play with, and who brings everyone together, a Richard Lecounte type.

When Lecounte was asked about this next class, and who could most likely be that guy for us, he named Tyreke Johnson.

Johnson, being interviewed, has already said that he's in contact with a number of top players who would all want to play together if they could.

He is who I really hope this is.

fibonaccisquared, Carter and 95Dawg like this

4 hours ago, VA F.O. said:

I think that we need that spark for this class, that guy who other guys want to play with, and who brings everyone together, a Richard Lecounte type.

Definitely agree. Max Wray has been touted as that guy, but I really don't see/hear much from him. Maybe it's more subtle, but I think with this likely a somewhat smaller class, it's going to be important to get that unifying voice continuing what LeCounte did. 

Nolan Smith sounds like he can and will be that guy for 2019, but 2018 needs one as well. Tyreke definitely seemed high on us, would like to see that.

Potential pipeline being established here from Mater Academy to UGA

Brini, Georges, and now possibly Jones

The second big reason would be Georgia 2018 commit Donovan Georges, who already has been sharing his views on the benefits of the program.

“That would be Brini because I see him every day in school,” Jones said. “He tells me that ‘I know you want to do it. Go ahead and commit to the G’ a lot.”

Georgia assistant Glenn Schumann already has taken an interest in Jones.

“That guy is no joke,” Jones said. “He knows his football and can explain everything he does and why he does it and how Georgia does it and have it all make perfect sense. He makes everything click when it comes to teaching the game of football.”

Jones had a lot of 1-on-1 time with Schumann on that visit last month. He said he doesn’t have a relationship quite like that yet with Clemson.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/nations-no-3-olb-mikel-jones-georgia-leader-spot

6 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Definitely agree. Max Wray has been touted as that guy, but I really don't see/hear much from him. Maybe it's more subtle, but I think with this likely a somewhat smaller class, it's going to be important to get that unifying voice continuing what LeCounte did. 

Nolan Smith sounds like he can and will be that guy for 2019, but 2018 needs one as well. Tyreke definitely seemed high on us, would like to see that.

The problem for Wray being that guy, as much as he wants and is driven to be, is that he's just not known well in Georgia as LeCounte and Nolan Smith are. He doesn't have that kind of presence and reputation among Georgia players. He can build that up some when they all hit the camp circuit and all, but he's really limited in his influence on Georgia kids.

Guys like LeCounte and Fromm are uncommon. If we can get an instate guy like Tyreke Johnson to step up, it would help a lot, but I don't see a 2018 version of LeCounte in this class right now. We didn't have a guy like that before LeCounte for a long time... he's just a special guy that people gravitate to. Fromm as well. When I learned that Nolan Smith has a very similar effect, I got very excited about 2019.

I'm very hopeful for 2018 turning out a solid class, but I'm also prepared to accept that it could be similar to what Clemson's class was for 2017... not very high ranking due to numbers mostly, but a quality class. It will likely be sandwiched by top 3 classes though. 2019 is going to be off the charts for us again.

8 hours ago, Carter said:

The problem for Wray being that guy, as much as he wants and is driven to be, is that he's just not known well in Georgia as LeCounte and Nolan Smith are. He doesn't have that kind of presence and reputation among Georgia players. He can build that up some when they all hit the camp circuit and all, but he's really limited in his influence on Georgia kids.

Guys like LeCounte and Fromm are uncommon. If we can get an instate guy like Tyreke Johnson to step up, it would help a lot, but I don't see a 2018 version of LeCounte in this class right now. We didn't have a guy like that before LeCounte for a long time... he's just a special guy that people gravitate to. Fromm as well. When I learned that Nolan Smith has a very similar effect, I got very excited about 2019.

I'm very hopeful for 2018 turning out a solid class, but I'm also prepared to accept that it could be similar to what Clemson's class was for 2017... not very high ranking due to numbers mostly, but a quality class. It will likely be sandwiched by top 3 classes though. 2019 is going to be off the charts for us again.

Pull White, Salyer, Hill, Cox, and a couple highly rated DB's and this will be a top 5 class. We need at least two 4 star CB's in my opinion. It's not that stars matter that much, but we need to load cornerback as I'm tired of seeing average cornerback play year after year.

4 hours ago, itsjustafleshwound said:

Pull White, Salyer, Hill, Cox, and a couple highly rated DB's and this will be a top 5 class. We need at least two 4 star CB's in my opinion. It's not that stars matter that much, but we need to load cornerback as I'm tired of seeing average cornerback play year after year.

With a class that will likely be no more than 21 or 22, we'd have to sign four or five 5* players and a grip of 4* guys as well. It's entirely possible... I suspect we will have at least three 5* in this class with Zeus, Salyer, and Tyreke Johnson (although UF has him as their #1 target). Who knows how the final rankings shake out though. If we can add those guys, KJ Henry, flip Micah Parsons, Cox, Hill, Vann, Tutt, Trey Dean... lol that would be another sick class.

Looks like we might get something on that commit at some point today. Hope it turns out that way, I can't handle how dead it is this time of year lol

Posted (edited)

Sounding like we might have quite a few in state silents already for 2019 :ninja:

Pappoe would not be one of those big-namers. But some of his peers like UGA commit Nolan Smith II are already working on him. One person with knowledge of the situation describes it as a True 19 wall that those guys are trying to build around Pappoe.

It goes without saying that any run at the nation’s No. 1 class in 2019 would definitely be boosted by having the nation’s No. 2 player per 247Sports in the fold.

“I didn’t even know about it but the word on the street was that I was about to commit to Alabama,” Pappoe said in January. “That’s what they told me they heard. So they are trying to sway me from them to go to Georgia. But I haven’t said anything about Bama. I don’t know where that came from. It is hilarious.”

The message from those peers is constant.

“They are telling me that Georgia is just 30 minutes away from your house,” he said. “Stay home. We are building something new and savages play with savages and all that. All that type of stuff.”

Pappoe said he hears that from about 15-to-20 of the top in-state prospects in the Class of 2019. Modern recruiting is that a player has to choose his fit.

Peers should not make or break that. But at the same time, Pappoe can’t help but notice the in-state talent and conclude this: If all of those guys go to the same place, they will win. They will most definitely win.

True 19 organizer Kenyatta Watson predicted the Class of 2019 will win a national title at Georgia. 

“I definitely want to go to school with some of those guys,” Pappoe said. “I already told Coach (Kirby) Smart I could definitely see myself playing at Georgia. But at the end of it all, it is just going to come down to what is the best fit for me and my family. That’s what it is going to come down to it.”

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/nations-no-2-prospect-owen-pappoe-feel-state-georgia

Edited by VA F.O.