fuego

GM: Titans would consider trading the No. 5 pick...Julio draft part 2?

51 posts in this topic

Anybody out there that you would think is worth a Julio-type trade for?

NDIANAPOLIS -- Tennessee Titans general manager Jon Robinson, who dealt out of the first pick in the draft last year, is talking about the potential for a trade high in the draft again.

Because of the 2016 deal that sent the No. 1 pick to the Los Angeles Rams, Robinson and the Titans have the No. 5 pick this year, in addition to No. 18.

"It's got to be a two-way street, we've got to have somebody that wants to move up to that spot, but like I said last year, we're open for business," Robinson said at the scouting combine.

The deal with the Rams last year happened early, but Los Angeles knew it was getting the player it wanted once it had the No. 1 pick: quarterback Jared Goff.

Because four players will come off the board first, a trade partner is likely to want to wait. The Titans will discuss a variety of scenarios with potential trade partners in advance.

"We're not really in the driver's seat in this draft," Robinson said. "... You have those discussions potentially before the actual draft starts. 'If this happens, or if that happens, would you consider doing this?' So you at least have some framework in mind, so when you're under the gun and you have to make a decision, you've been able to think through it a little bit."

The seed of the deal with the Rams came at the combine last year, when the Titans and Rams had adjacent booths at Lucas Oil Stadium.

In a chat with Nashville's Midday 180, Robinson was asked who occupies the real estate on either side of the Titans this year.

"Ironically I did gaze around at that [Tuesday] to see if there were potential suitors," Robinson said. "We'll see how that kind of manifests itself. There are a couple across the way. I might get a couple extra steps on my step tracker thing and I might have to get in position to try to go make a deal."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18800572/tennessee-titans-say-open-dealing-their-top-draft-pick-2nd-straight-year

I would say Dalvin Cook is that type of player.  I wouldn't trade 3 drafts for him, but he would be an unbelievable fit for our system.  He is like a combination of our 2 RBs best traits into one guy.

gkgrimes likes this

1 minute ago, DogIsYourName said:

I would say Dalvin Cook is that type of player.  I wouldn't trade 3 drafts for him, but he would be an unbelievable fit for our system.  He is like a combination of our 2 RBs best traits into one guy.

I actually made that comparison about Cook the other day but a RB is never going to be worth that trade.

Slappywhite, g-dawg, hjerry and 2 others like this

2 minutes ago, Jpowers said:

I actually made that comparison about Cook the other day but a RB is never going to be worth that trade.

I agree.  If somehow he fell into the 20s though, it would be worth considering...  I'm not sure how any defense could ever defend him and Julio on the same field.  He was an absolute game wrecker for FSU even when they had no other real offensive weapons on the field and everyone knew he'd get the ball.  Jamaal Charles 2.0, slightly bigger/stronger.

5 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

I agree.  If somehow he fell into the 20s though, it would be worth considering...  I'm not sure how any defense could ever defend him and Julio on the same field.  He was an absolute game wrecker for FSU even when they had no other real offensive weapons on the field and everyone knew he'd get the ball.  Jamaal Charles 2.0, slightly bigger/stronger.

Dude, you don't have to convince me about Cook. I love the guy. I'm just not sure I could get behind any trade for a RB. I want defense, more defense, with a little more defense on top of that. 

Cook is a freak though. No doubt about that.

papachaz likes this

We are young enough... We stay put and draft for depth/ competition. In win now mode, you fill needed plugs with vets to compliment and keep the train moving. OG and OLB/EDGE could use vets... If the rumors of moving Campbell down to EDGE are true, then you go get your OLB replacement. #riseup #back4the1sttime

8 hours ago, quotemokc said:

We would only trade up if there was a player we had our eyes on and was still available in the early 20s like Trufant.

^^^this

I don't think we move up at all, but if we do, it will be for an edge rusher and it won't be more than a 5-10 spot jump.  

Ezekiel 25:17, D.B.N. and quotemokc like this

No, there isn't anybody worth burning the pics and/or players to jumping up that high.  If someone likes a Solomon Thomas were still available in the high teens or early twenties, absolutely, take a shot.  But it would be way too costly to jump all the way up to 5.  

The Julio trade screwed up our depth for a few years losing those draft picks--not that Smitty and TD would have picked guys who could contribute right away anyway.  

Sure glad we have a HC with a staff that can develop younger players.  Naw, let's keep what we have--unless we can move back in the second and collect more picks.

papachaz likes this

8 hours ago, quotemokc said:

We would only trade up if there was a player we had our eyes on and was still available in the early 20s like Trufant.

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason for us to trade up any higher than you just mentioned! We will be in the "if a player we have targeted falls" market, not the "we need a franchise player now" game.

I am thinking anywhere from moving up 5 to 8 picks sounds about right for this.

i think we can grab a good player where we are... the good teams have been doing it for years and i hope we have jumped on board

No.  We were able to get a starting safety, two starting linebackers, and a starting tight end from our first four picks last year, and if he continues to develop we added a fifth starter in Schweitzer as well.

We don't need to trade the house to get the number 5 pick.  

Posted (edited)

Julio was a once in the franchise move. Much like the Ricky Williams deal was for the Saints. I don't see the Falcons ever making that kind of move up again.

Edited by Charles Lindberg

in a draft this deep at positions of need, i would actually consider trading down and pick up another 2nd and 3rd rounder. 

TD and team turned those picks into a DROY candidate and our upcoming starting TE last year. 

AndySG likes this

As much as Quinn stresses building from through the draft and developing players, I doubt very seriously that we would jump from 31 to 5. I don't think trading up a couple spots is completely out of the question but it would have to be a player that they absolutely love. And if we are not going to be active in free agency, we need our draft picks.

We draft well, so moving up makes no sense in a draft where there's no bonafide superstar freak like a Julio.