FentayeJones

Brain Poole will be considered at FS

45 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

I wanted to like this 100 times. Hopefully, they cross train Alford as well. I think he can be a better safety than he is CB and he is definitely a serviceable starter at CB. I just think he would bring range, ball hawk, playmaking, and physical toughness to the FS spot. Those are all attributes of his.

1 minute ago, The Peregrine said:

I wanted to like this 100 times. Hopefully, they cross train Alford as well. I think he can be a better safety than he is CB and he is definitely a serviceable starter at CB. I just think he would bring range, ball hawk, playmaking, and physical toughness to the FS spot. Those are all attributes of his.

Alford is much more than serviceable. He's extremely solid. He shut down Edelman whenever he was in man. Even made the play on that fluke catch. People need to respect this guy more. 

19 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Alford is much more than serviceable. He's extremely solid. He shut down Edelman whenever he was in man. Even made the play on that fluke catch. People need to respect this guy more. 

Oh...don't take it as a slight on Alford. I'm good with Alford. I agree that he gets a bad rap. I used the vernacular. My bad. He is definitely a SOLID starter and was really glad that we locked him up early on. Can't wait to get Trufant out the way as well.

Thank you for the correction.

Dan Quinn said he can see more Robert Alford in nickel with Desmond Trufant returning and Jalen Collins emerging. Likes Poole at nickel too

Exactly what I said above

2 minutes ago, theDIRTYcode said:

Sooo....does this make Alford the highest paid NB in the league?

If NB wasn't a starting corner position in this defense it would...yeah.

gazoo likes this

3 minutes ago, theDIRTYcode said:

They are starters anyway

2 minutes ago, theDIRTYcode said:

In today's NFL the NB is a starting corner.

56 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Uuuugh. He was so close to picking that ball off. One inch away from sealing the game, and probably getting SB MVP if he does pick it.

Birdy Dird and Dirtybird3 like this

So that kind of settles that.  Collins and Trufant on the outside and Alford on the inside splitting some reps with Poole? What happens to Poole's PT next season...

This is a pretty good idea, but I would hate to see Poole's time decreased. I guess it's a good problem to have this much quality competition and depth in the secondary. 

Posted (edited)

Think has been the plan for a while of Quinn wanting Alford in nickel and Tru and Collins guarding the sides.  Collins improving greatly from year one has helped this decision.

Was worried about Poole since he over achieved as undrafted and wanted him to stay on team.  There are also times we go 4 CBs so he will still see the field beside backup FS.  

Wonder if this stops people from wanting a FS in the draft. 

Edited by UltraTurbo 2000

55 minutes ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

This is a pretty good idea, but I would hate to see Poole's time decreased. I guess it's a good problem to have this much quality competition and depth in the secondary. 

right....never know when injuries will strike

1 hour ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

someone or everyone's time is gonna be decreased with Trufant coming back.

1 hour ago, ShanghaiDirtyBird said:

So that kind of settles that.  Collins and Trufant on the outside and Alford on the inside splitting some reps with Poole? What happens to Poole's PT next season...

I don't think it settles anything.  I honestly think it may be Tru and Alford in base, with Alf shifting to NB in nickel.  Quinn said he "can see more" nickel from Alford.

This basically moves any DB consideration in the draft down to the 4th round....so throw out names like Budda Baker, etc..

Except maybe Adoree Jackson or Desmond King who both have return abilitiy...in the case of Adoree, he is a major return threat...

Would be compeltely fine with Trufant and Collins outside, Adoree and Alford in the slot, Allen & Poole at FS...

4 hours ago, takeitdown said:

Yeah, I'd imagine they'd at least cross train him.

They did it last year as well so it won't be a cold jump to learn FS. 

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

someone or everyone's time is gonna be decreased with Trufant coming back.

Collins and Poole or Allen will decrease. Tru will be tru and alt will probably start outside and move inside in nickel situations. I expect Alf and tru to still play all defensive snaps

MSalmon and g-dawg like this

Posted (edited)

This isn't really anything new.  This is what they were already planning to do.  We didn't see it as much simply because Collins was suspended to start the year and Tru got injured.

However, Alford was always the starter opposite Tru when in base defense.  He just slid over when in nickel or dime.

Edited by falconfanatic365
falconsd56 and Falcon Ben like this