Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blkbigdog35

March Hawks Thread

562 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Watching post game interview with coach Bud and the same line, "We got to play better". Well he has to coach better also. I know we are missing guys but these are NBA players. We need Sap back soon. Just getting a little aggravated with this team.

I don't really have a problem with Bud. This current squad really isn't talented. Think about it, we don't have a single player that averages over 20 points a game--Bud hasn't had that since he got to Atlanta. Imagine if he had a John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis, Kristaps Porzingis, Demar DeRozan, or a Devin Booker to work with. Imagine if he had the Timberwolves current squad with KAT and I forget that other kid's name that played at Kansas.

Bud is a championship caliber coach. There's only one other coach that I could definitively say that could have coached the 2014-15 Hawks squad to a 60-win season and ECF and that's Bud's former boss and mentor Greg Popovich. Maybe Steve Kerr too, but that's hard to tell because he inherited a supremely talented team. Anyway, he should get a lot of credit for elevating Millsap and Korver to All-Star status, as well as Teague for that matter.

Yeah, some of his rotations may leave us scratching our heads in frustration, but there's only so much he can do because he's never had a consistent shot maker. We don't have a Kawhi Leonard who can buy a bucket when the chips are down and someone just has to make a play. Every coach needs that--even Popovich. You can only do so much scheming--ultimately the players have to make the plays. The ball in in their hands, not the coach.

If I were the GM, my first order of business would be to start unloading contracts, just like Danny Ainge did. Leverage assets for draft picks. I'd essentially, by and large, start over. I'd keep THJ if the price is right. I really like DeAaron Fox, and I would be willing to give up a first rounder, Shroder, and Baze, to get him. That should free up a lot of cap space. Then I would make a pitch for Griffin, PG13, and Jimmy Butler. If I could get Griffin but can't get the other two, I'd go for Otto Porter. He's looking like a solid 3 and D wing player.

The starting 5 would be Fox, THJ, Porter, Griffin, Howard. A lineup of Fox, THJ, PG13 or Butler, Griffin, and Howard would be gravy.

TheTrue7, blkbigdog35 and tl;dr like this

6 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

I don't really have a problem with Bud. This current squad really isn't talented. Think about it, we don't have a single player that averages over 20 points a game--Bud hasn't had that since he got to Atlanta. Imagine if he had a John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis, Kristaps Porzingis, Demar DeRozan, or a Devin Booker to work with. Imagine if he had the Timberwolves current squad with KAT and I forget that other kid's name that played at Kansas.

Bud is a championship caliber coach. There's only one other coach that I could definitively say that could have coached the 2014-15 Hawks squad to a 60-win season and ECF and that's Bud's former boss and mentor Greg Popovich. Maybe Steve Kerr too, but that's hard to tell because he inherited a supremely talented team. Anyway, he should get a lot of credit for elevating Millsap and Korver to All-Star status, as well as Teague for that matter.

Yeah, some of his rotations may leave us scratching our heads in frustration, but there's only so much he can do because he's never had a consistent shot maker. We don't have a Kawhi Leonard who can buy a bucket when the chips are down and someone just has to make a play. Every coach needs that--even Popovich. You can only do so much scheming--ultimately the players have to make the plays. The ball in in their hands, not the coach.

If I were the GM, my first order of business would be to start unloading contracts, just like Danny Ainge did. Leverage assets for draft picks. I'd essentially, by and large, start over. I'd keep THJ if the price is right. I really like DeAaron Fox, and I would be willing to give up a first rounder, Shroder, and Baze, to get him. That should free up a lot of cap space. Then I would make a pitch for Griffin, PG13, and Jimmy Butler. If I could get Griffin but can't get the other two, I'd go for Otto Porter. He's looking like a solid 3 and D wing player.

The starting 5 would be Fox, THJ, Porter, Griffin, Howard. A lineup of Fox, THJ, PG13 or Butler, Griffin, and Howard would be gravy.

I agree with you about Bud just frustrated. However, as a GM he's sucking miserably. He's responsible for these recent contracts. We need more talent for sure.

usmcdirtybird, No.11 and TheTrue7 like this

29 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

A great post.. not sure if we have the gm capable of making that happen though 

Atlanta Hawks: More Backup Point Guard Questions

by Jake Martinsek2 hours agoFollow @IAmMartinsek

Soaring Down South  

The Atlanta Hawks still haven’t settled on a backup point guard. Who should get the job by the time the playoffs roll around?

Just before the season began, the Atlanta Hawks made their choice on who the backup point guard was going to be. During training camp, the Hawks chose to waive veteran point guard Jarrett Jack and hand the job to 27-year-old rookie Malcolm Delaney.

It was a move that made sense. Jack had torn his ACL the previous season. He wouldn’t be ready to play at the start of the season, and he hadn’t been particularly inspiring his last few seasons in the NBA. Meanwhile, Delaney was playing in European leagues, winning titles in France, Germany, and Ukraine three of the four years he played there.

The move seemed like it was going to be a great one. Over the first few weeks of the season, the Hawks bench looked unstoppable with him at the helm. During the Hawks incredible 9-2 start, Malcolm Delaney was 3rd in the league in net rating at a massive plus 25.5, including the best defensive rating in the NBA, among players playing at least 16 minutes per game. In his time on the court during the 11 games, the Hawks were 8.8 points better than their opponents.

Then the Hawks would go on to lose 10 of their next 11 games. Malcolm Delaney went from one of the premier bench players in the league to someone who would struggle to make most rotations. Delaney, the bench, and the Hawks as a whole haven’t been the same since.

After months of uninspiring point guard play from Delaney, as well as some failed ten-day contract experiments, the Hawks acquired Jose Calderon. In theory, it was a smart move. Calderon has proven his ability to be an elite NBA shooter, as well as capable of running an offense.

Unfortunately, theories are sometimes just that. For a five game stretch, Coach Budenholzer elected to roll with Calderon at backup point guard. In four out of those five games he scored two points or less in as well as two assists or less. In addition to his lack of offensive production, Calderon is also one of the worst defenders in the league.

Not only does the lack of dependable back up point guard play hurt the bench, it also hurts the starter. Dennis Schroder is averaging 31.1 minutes per game this season, but because Coach Bud can’t rely on either Delaney or Calderon for long stretches, that number is up to 32.3 in March with no signs of going down.

Schroder already has one of the heaviest workloads on the team, being arguably the only person on the team who is a threat to drive and finish at the rim, while also having to guard elite point guards on a regular basis. Schroder needs rest whenever he can get it, and those opportunities are growing slimmer every game.

So Malcolm Delaney and Jose Calderon seem to have proven they are not serviceable backup point guards, but those two aren’t the only two options the Hawks have. The Hawks could elect to give rookie DeAndre Bembry a chance at leading the second unit.

In his brief stints in the NBA, Bembry has shown potential. It hasn’t translated to tangible numbers yet, but just watching Bembry you can tell he has a great feel for the game, especially on defense. Most Hawks fans will remember the 20 point comeback win in Houston, but only some will cite Bembry as a key part of it.

Not only did he have a career game on the offensive side of the ball with 10 points, 4 rebounds, and 2 assists on 5-for-6 shooting, but was also tasked with defending likely MVP winner James Harden in the fourth quarter. After scoring 35 points in the first three-quarters, Harden was held to 6 points on 2-for-5 shooting in the game’s final quarter.

As a passer, Bembry has very limited NBA experience, but he spent his college career running “point forward” for the St. Joseph’s Hawks. In his senior year, he led the team in assists per game at 4.5 and assisted on 24 percent of his team’s field goals while he was on the floor. While he may not have elite passing skills, he is fully capable of making all the passes you expect a backup point guard to be able to make.

Bembry’s game only has one real weakness, but unfortunately it is one of the things that a point guard needs to be at least average at to be effective. The skill Bembry lacks is shooting. In his college career he shot a total of 31 percent from behind the three-point line and it has only gotten worse in the NBA. In 31 games and 300 minutes on NBA courts, Bembry has yet to make a three.

However, regardless of who the Hawks choose to run with, they will not be putting a shooter at the position. Despite being a career 40 percent three-point shooter in Europe, Malcolm Delaney’s shot has not transferred to the NBA. He is shooting only 23 percent from behind the arc in his first NBA season.

Jose Calderon is in a very similar situation. Calderon has long been known as a solid 3-point shooter. In 7 of his 12 NBA seasons, he has shot at least 40 percent from three. While it is great that he used to be a great shooter, he is only hitting 20 percent of his threes during his stint with the Hawks.

Perhaps the greatest argument for giving Bembry a chance is a simple one. What do the Hawks have to lose? They know what they have in Delaney. They know what they have in Calderon. The only unknown in this situation is Bembry.

Maybe Bembry excels running point guard or maybe he crashes and burns, but either way the Hawks need to find out what they have in him.

49 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Atlanta Hawks: More Backup Point Guard Questions

by Jake Martinsek2 hours agoFollow @IAmMartinsek

Soaring Down South  

The Atlanta Hawks still haven’t settled on a backup point guard. Who should get the job by the time the playoffs roll around?

Just before the season began, the Atlanta Hawks made their choice on who the backup point guard was going to be. During training camp, the Hawks chose to waive veteran point guard Jarrett Jack and hand the job to 27-year-old rookie Malcolm Delaney.

It was a move that made sense. Jack had torn his ACL the previous season. He wouldn’t be ready to play at the start of the season, and he hadn’t been particularly inspiring his last few seasons in the NBA. Meanwhile, Delaney was playing in European leagues, winning titles in France, Germany, and Ukraine three of the four years he played there.

The move seemed like it was going to be a great one. Over the first few weeks of the season, the Hawks bench looked unstoppable with him at the helm. During the Hawks incredible 9-2 start, Malcolm Delaney was 3rd in the league in net rating at a massive plus 25.5, including the best defensive rating in the NBA, among players playing at least 16 minutes per game. In his time on the court during the 11 games, the Hawks were 8.8 points better than their opponents.

Then the Hawks would go on to lose 10 of their next 11 games. Malcolm Delaney went from one of the premier bench players in the league to someone who would struggle to make most rotations. Delaney, the bench, and the Hawks as a whole haven’t been the same since.

After months of uninspiring point guard play from Delaney, as well as some failed ten-day contract experiments, the Hawks acquired Jose Calderon. In theory, it was a smart move. Calderon has proven his ability to be an elite NBA shooter, as well as capable of running an offense.

Unfortunately, theories are sometimes just that. For a five game stretch, Coach Budenholzer elected to roll with Calderon at backup point guard. In four out of those five games he scored two points or less in as well as two assists or less. In addition to his lack of offensive production, Calderon is also one of the worst defenders in the league.

Not only does the lack of dependable back up point guard play hurt the bench, it also hurts the starter. Dennis Schroder is averaging 31.1 minutes per game this season, but because Coach Bud can’t rely on either Delaney or Calderon for long stretches, that number is up to 32.3 in March with no signs of going down.

Schroder already has one of the heaviest workloads on the team, being arguably the only person on the team who is a threat to drive and finish at the rim, while also having to guard elite point guards on a regular basis. Schroder needs rest whenever he can get it, and those opportunities are growing slimmer every game.

So Malcolm Delaney and Jose Calderon seem to have proven they are not serviceable backup point guards, but those two aren’t the only two options the Hawks have. The Hawks could elect to give rookie DeAndre Bembry a chance at leading the second unit.

In his brief stints in the NBA, Bembry has shown potential. It hasn’t translated to tangible numbers yet, but just watching Bembry you can tell he has a great feel for the game, especially on defense. Most Hawks fans will remember the 20 point comeback win in Houston, but only some will cite Bembry as a key part of it.

Not only did he have a career game on the offensive side of the ball with 10 points, 4 rebounds, and 2 assists on 5-for-6 shooting, but was also tasked with defending likely MVP winner James Harden in the fourth quarter. After scoring 35 points in the first three-quarters, Harden was held to 6 points on 2-for-5 shooting in the game’s final quarter.

As a passer, Bembry has very limited NBA experience, but he spent his college career running “point forward” for the St. Joseph’s Hawks. In his senior year, he led the team in assists per game at 4.5 and assisted on 24 percent of his team’s field goals while he was on the floor. While he may not have elite passing skills, he is fully capable of making all the passes you expect a backup point guard to be able to make.

Bembry’s game only has one real weakness, but unfortunately it is one of the things that a point guard needs to be at least average at to be effective. The skill Bembry lacks is shooting. In his college career he shot a total of 31 percent from behind the three-point line and it has only gotten worse in the NBA. In 31 games and 300 minutes on NBA courts, Bembry has yet to make a three.

However, regardless of who the Hawks choose to run with, they will not be putting a shooter at the position. Despite being a career 40 percent three-point shooter in Europe, Malcolm Delaney’s shot has not transferred to the NBA. He is shooting only 23 percent from behind the arc in his first NBA season.

Jose Calderon is in a very similar situation. Calderon has long been known as a solid 3-point shooter. In 7 of his 12 NBA seasons, he has shot at least 40 percent from three. While it is great that he used to be a great shooter, he is only hitting 20 percent of his threes during his stint with the Hawks.

Perhaps the greatest argument for giving Bembry a chance is a simple one. What do the Hawks have to lose? They know what they have in Delaney. They know what they have in Calderon. The only unknown in this situation is Bembry.

Maybe Bembry excels running point guard or maybe he crashes and burns, but either way the Hawks need to find out what they have in him.

Props to @tl;dr for bringing the Bembry at point talk earlier.. I had no idea.. can't be any worse than Delaney lately 

I can't help but think it is time to tank. Everyone seems to think this is a loaded draft, so even drawing the #10 overall pick could net a very good player. 

If Millsap walks, the Hawks are sure to be terrible and probably draw a top 5 pick. If that player ends up being good, too, it could be a pretty quick rebuild without a ton of wallowing. 

2 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

Props to @tl;dr for bringing the Bembry at point talk earlier.. I had no idea.. can't be any worse than Delaney lately 

Yeah he mentioned that and I say why not as well. At this point you have to play all your guys now.

7 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Damm man :doh:

While I like it because 4 out of the 5 players I believe should be starting, it makes our bench atrocious.. 

Schroder insists reeling Hawks OK despite 7-game skid

3:35 p.m. ET March 27, 2017

usatoday.com  

ATLANTA (AP) — Dennis Schroder insists the Atlanta Hawks will be fine when their three injures starters return.

The point guard also believes the Eastern Conference playoff standings are too tight for the Hawks to wait for Paul Millsap, Kent Bazemore and Thabo Sefolosha to return from their injuries.

Schroder said the Hawks must snap their seven-game losing streak with their current limited roster, which will be without the three starters for at least one more game.

"I'm saying now we have to change something," Schroder said Monday. "We can't wait until they come back. Maybe it's too late then."

The Hawks are in a three-way tie for fifth in the Eastern Conference playoff standings. They are only 2 games ahead of eighth-place Miami, which currently has the final playoff spot, and 2 ½ ahead of ninth-place Chicago.

The Hawks see they could drop out of the playoff standings if they don't quickly end the losing streak.

"The NBA isn't easy," Schroder said. "You've got to win games to make it in the playoffs."

Coach Mike Budenholzer said Millsap, the four-time All-Star who has missed five straight games with left knee tightness, and the other two injured starters will not play in Tuesday night's home game against Phoenix.

Bazemore, who has missed four straight games with a right knee bone bruise, said he hopes to return for Wednesday's game at Philadelphia.

Sefolosha, held out against the Nets with a right groin strain, was seen working on an elliptical machine at the portion of Monday's practice open to media. There is no timetable on Millsap's return.

Before the losing streak, which matches the team's longest of the season, the Hawks were competing with Toronto for the fourth seed in the East and home-court advantage in the first round of the playoffs.

Home-court advantage is now a distant dream.

Atlanta is tied with Milwaukee and Indiana for fifth following Sunday's 107-92 loss to New Jersey, which owns the NBA's worst record.

The latest ugly loss left Atlanta in what Bazemore described as "a dark time." Even so, he insists the players' spirit is not broken.

Bazemore pointed to players taking extra shots after practice and said "My teammates are still laughing. ... We're still alive and kicking."

Budenholzer's message is for players to avoid trying to do too much to fill the void left by the injured starters.

"I think to some degree we're all pressing," Budenholzer said. "Coaches pressing, each guy individually. It comes from actually a good place. They want to win. They want to have success and it's just remembering that the best way for us to have success is to do it as a group and do it together."

Budenholzer said rookie Taurean Price, who had 17 points, six rebounds and three steals in his first start against the Nets, likely will remain in the lineup against Phoenix.

Ersan Ilyasova and Tim Hardaway Jr. combined to make only 8 of 30 shots against the Nets. Atlanta's depleted bench was outscored 46-7 by the Nets' backups.

Budenholzer said Bazemore is "very close" to playing and could be cleared after "another good day."

Bazemore said has done "pretty much everything" on the court in testing his knee, including change-of-direction drills.

"I'm starting to feel good," Bazemore said. "... Things are trending in the right direction."

© Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Ersan Ilyasova and Tim Hardaway Jr. combined to make only 8 of 30 shots against the Nets. Atlanta's depleted bench was outscored 46-7 by the Nets' backups."

That's ridiculous 

Atlanta Hawks forward Paul Millsap has been diagnosed with left knee synovitis and has been ruled out for at least the team’s next three games, the team announced Monday evening. He will be re-evaluated after that timeframe, following a non-surgical procedure he had to alleviate the injury.

Millsap has been sidelined for the previous five games due to the knee injury, as the Hawks have gone on a dangerous seven-game losing streak with just nine games remaining in the regular season. Having been ruled out for at least the next three contests, the soonest Millsap could return would be on Sunday against Brooklyn.

dang

Sounds bad if he can't power through it for this playoff push. That game vs Chicago is especially important to win. Seems to me like he'll be hampered the rest of the year.

7 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

Don't give me too much credit lol. It was a lot of luck. But I have always thought he looked like a PG. 

TheTrue7 likes this

28 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Don't give me too much credit lol. It was a lot of luck. But I have always thought he looked like a PG. 

He ran point forward in college.. 

but nonetheless, can't be any worse than Delaney 

38 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

He ran point forward in college.. 

but nonetheless, can't be any worse than Delaney 

There was so much hope after the first part of the season. I thought Delaney would be okay. 

On 3/26/2017 at 0:51 AM, tl;dr said:

As much as I love Sap, I don't think you can take him over Griffin. But I don't think Griffin would come here. 

But let's say we can lure him to Atlanta, Baze, Delaney, and Bembry are all under contract for next year and Dunleavy has a team option (no idea if they pick it up or not). Keep Ersan and Thabo. If the money is there, see if you can bring JJ Reddick over along with Griffin.

PG: Dennis/Delaney/Bembry
SG: THJ/Reddick
SF: Prince/Baze/Thabo
PF: Griffin/Ersan
C: Howard 

Would still need to fill out the roster and add some depth down low, but I like that team. Overall we need more shooters. Reddick would help that out, and hopefully Bembry and Prince can improve.

All that being said, I expect to just re-sign Sap which wouldn't be a bad move. I just think things need to be spiced up. 

We won't have money to sign both Griffin and Reddick and still keep Bazemore .  Griffin will more than likely command a max deal of $30 million.  Hawks have approximatley $66 million in guaranteed contracts.  Add Griffin's $30 mill that leaves $6 million in capspace.  Reddick will probably get in the $18-$20 mil range.  

Even if you trade Baze and want to keep Ersan ($12.6 caphold) - still not enough money for BOTH Griffin and Reddick. 

blkbigdog35 likes this

6 hours ago, jayu70 said:

We won't have money to sign both Griffin and Reddick and still keep Bazemore .  Griffin will more than likely command a max deal of $30 million.  Hawks have approximatley $66 million in guaranteed contracts.  Add Griffin's $30 mill that leaves $6 million in capspace.  Reddick will probably get in the $18-$20 mil range.  

Even if you trade Baze and want to keep Ersan ($12.6 caphold) - still not enough money for BOTH Griffin and Reddick. 

Thanks for the explanation  :tiphat:

jayu70 likes this

Tuesday's Hawks News: Bazemore likely to return against Sixers

10:34 AM ET
  • ESPN.com

Calderon struggling to find shot with Hawks: Jose Calderon shook his head in disbelief. The Hawks’ recently acquired backup point guard just isn’t making baskets. Calderon is coming off an 0-for-5 game, including 0-for-3 from 3-point range, in a 107-92 loss to the Nets on Sunday. Calderon played 21 minutes, a high in his eight games played with the Hawks since being claimed off waivers on March 4. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Bazemore ‘trending upward’ for return to Hawks lineup: Kent Bazemore admitted he was scared. The Hawks starting guard has been sidelined for four straight games with a right knee bone bruise diagnosed after an MRI exam last week. He will miss a fifth game when the Hawks host the Suns on Tuesday. However, all signs point to a return at the 76ers on Wednesday. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Millsap out three more games with left knee synovitis: The injury news keeps getting worse for the Hawks. Paul Millsap will be out at least three more games after the Hawks forward was diagnosed with left knee synovitis following a visit to Dr. James Andrews Monday morning and conferring with team doctors. Millsap underwent a non-surgical procedure following the diagnosis. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

7 hours ago, jayu70 said:

Any opinions?