Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blkbigdog35

March Hawks Thread

562 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Well I never feel like we should just quit because that's a punk mentality. I don't suggest we blow up the team but we have to start infusing some real young talent. Personally getting an experienced GM could keep this team competitive. However I will still be watching these boys in hopes they can get competitive for a final run.

I know where you stand.. :tiphat:

but you know, much like horford, if sap walks you'll have those saying it's Howard's fault

blkbigdog35 likes this

1 hour ago, Brave Nu Werld said:

I agree, but aren't most NBA teams facing the same problem ? More than any other pro league, there's only a handful of teams every year that have a legitimate shot at the title. If it were a one game deal like the NCAA, it would make it more of a crap shoot, but in a 7- game series, the blue bloods will almost always win. Add to that the superstars always get the favorable ref calls as well once the playoffs start. You know the NBA wants Cavs/Warriors III. 

Yes!

4 hours ago, Brave Nu Werld said:

I agree, but aren't most NBA teams facing the same problem ? More than any other pro league, there's only a handful of teams every year that have a legitimate shot at the title. If it were a one game deal like the NCAA, it would make it more of a crap shoot, but in a 7- game series, the blue bloods will almost always win. Add to that the superstars always get the favorable ref calls as well once the playoffs start. You know the NBA wants Cavs/Warriors III. 

Those bluebloods are built on lottery picks

29 minutes ago, HEIST said:

Those bluebloods are built on lottery picks

Those bottom dwellers are too.. 

listen, I'm not here saying that it's one way or the other, but it takes a lot of luck to win a championship.. there is no set blueprint.. 

30 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Those bottom dwellers are too.. 

listen, I'm not here saying that it's one way or the other, but it takes a lot of luck to win a championship.. there is no set blueprint.. 

There's no secret to winning a championship. First and foremost you need a superstar... you have the best shot of getting those in the lottery. Those teams bottom dwelling today are gonna be the teams at the top tomorrow. Already starting to see the Sixers make progress and they are without their two star level prospects. 

The Hawks are delaying the inevitable, I've probably said it a thousand times in these threads. Signing Millsap will give us two negative assets (players that we will literally have to give picks away with to get rid of the contract) in him and Bazemore. Letting him walk is the right move, but will be a failure when you could've ended the season the same way (championship-less) and gotten assets for him at the trade deadline. Then there's the issue of having to sign THJ. I'm not a cap wizard but is this team even going to have the cap space to make a meaningful move? 

Anyway since I'm ranting about the draft again, I might as well drop the prospect I want us to take. If the Hawks aren't gonna get into the lottery, they should take a risk and draft Harry Giles IMO. This is a unique situation where they have a shot to take a guy who was projected to go #1. We're partnered with Emory Sports Medicine, so if there's any team that can get him to his former glory, why not the Hawks? And they payoff would be massive, he can sit behind Millsap's mega contract and the rest of Dwight's contract while he gets back up to speed.

54 minutes ago, HEIST said:

There's no secret to winning a championship. First and foremost you need a superstar... you have the best shot of getting those in the lottery. Those teams bottom dwelling today are gonna be the teams at the top tomorrow. Already starting to see the Sixers make progress and they are without their two star level prospects. 

The Hawks are delaying the inevitable, I've probably said it a thousand times in these threads. Signing Millsap will give us two negative assets (players that we will literally have to give picks away with to get rid of the contract) in him and Bazemore. Letting him walk is the right move, but will be a failure when you could've ended the season the same way (championship-less) and gotten assets for him at the trade deadline. Then there's the issue of having to sign THJ. I'm not a cap wizard but is this team even going to have the cap space to make a meaningful move? 

Anyway since I'm ranting about the draft again, I might as well drop the prospect I want us to take. If the Hawks aren't gonna get into the lottery, they should take a risk and draft Harry Giles IMO. This is a unique situation where they have a shot to take a guy who was projected to go #1. We're partnered with Emory Sports Medicine, so if there's any team that can get him to his former glory, why not the Hawks? And they payoff would be massive, he can sit behind Millsap's mega contract and the rest of Dwight's contract while he gets back up to speed.

I'll disagree a little with the best chance at a superstar thru the draft.. those aren't certainties.. and philly has been down there for a looooonng time, and they still are.. yea they're making progress but can they get any worse than they were?

if sap is looking for as much as is being reported (at least length wise), he should be let walk.. and we always agree on baze's contract.. what a waste.. 

get an actual gm in here to figure out the best way to dump that one and sign THJ.. hopefully Prince takes that next step, Dennis GROWS UP, fix the bench, and we're not that far off.. 

28 minutes ago, Brave Nu Werld said:

You've got to hit on those lottery picks. It's more than having them. Remember that six teams had a shot at Steph Curry. But he was not considered a superstar to the magnitude he is now in college. GS also hit big the next year with Klay Thompson, then on a second rounder named Draymond Green. 

Of course, hitting on draft picks is essential. The hitrate on lottery picks is much higher than back end of the first round.

Just now, Brave Nu Werld said:

Unless it's the Hawks picking Marvin Williams :)

So annoying. Chris Paul and Deron Williams were right there lol.

2 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Just wondering.. what lottery picks from this past year are trending in the "superstar" status?

Past draft was described as a 2 man draft with Simmons and Ingram. Will have to see with Simmons, Ingram is much improved after the allstar break. Devin Booker scored 70 last night, KAT is averaging 25 and 12 in his second year from the previous draft.

10 minutes ago, Brave Nu Werld said:

The teams that end up being annual contenders hit on those back end 1st rounders and 2nd rounders more often than not. And hitting on those picks frees up money early in their careers to get pieces in FA that complete your team. 

And when I say "hitting" I mean that they at least become the player the team had hoped for at that draft position. 

Spurs are the only team right now that contends with back end 1st rounders and 2nd rounders, even then their engine was a #1 pick and now it's a superstar in Kawhi (pick #15). Cavs don't use the draft anymore, Warriors are built around lottery picks, a 2nd rounder, and smart FA signings. Compared to the Hawks who only drafted one of their starters at the moment. THJ is in a grey area, he was traded for using a pick (and is probably better than anyone we'd get at that pick) but we didn't even get a full length contract out of him. 

11 minutes ago, HEIST said:

So annoying. Chris Paul and Deron Williams were right there lol.

Past draft was described as a 2 man draft with Simmons and Ingram. Will have to see with Simmons, Ingram is much improved after the allstar break. Devin Booker scored 70 last night, KAT is averaging 25 and 12 in his second year from the previous draft.

Spurs are the only team right now that contends with back end 1st rounders and 2nd rounders, even then their engine was a #1 pick and now it's a superstar in Kawhi (pick #15). Cavs don't use the draft anymore, Warriors are built around lottery picks, a 2nd rounder, and smart FA signings. Compared to the Hawks who only drafted one of their starters at the moment. THJ is in a grey area, he was traded for using a pick (and is probably better than anyone we'd get at that pick) but we didn't even get a full length contract out of him. 

So really one this past year in your opinion (since not enough evidence on Simmons) so 1 out of 14 and 2 last year so 2 out of 14?

just saying, those odds aren't great.. 

and which of those teams do you feel is closest to contending for a championship? Philadelphia, LA, Phoenix, Minnesota 

jayu70 likes this

1 minute ago, TheTrue7 said:

So really one this past year in your opinion (since not enough evidence on Simmons) so 1 out of 14 and 2 last year so 2 out of 14?

just saying, those odds aren't great.. 

and which of those teams do you feel is closest to contending for a championship? Philadelphia, LA, Phoenix, Minnesota 

Philadelphia or Minnesota depending on the health of Simmons/Embiid. Philly is going to be dominate if those two stay healthy, they still have lottery picks coming in too, with a buttload of capspace and rookie contracts. Who do you think has a brighter future.. those teams you mentioned or the Hawks? And what are the Hawks doing in the meantime that makes it worthwhile? 

8 hours ago, Brave Nu Werld said:

I wasn't suggesting they quit, but that's just it. Even when and if they play their best they are just not good enough to go past the second round. Add to that Buds stubbornness with rotations and it seems we know the outcome. This team under Bud never plays better in the playoffs than the regular season. No stepping it up, it seems. 

I didn't think you were suggesting that but it's obvious Bud needs to relinquish the gm role. This roster is serviceable but we need a backup pg and hopefully lock down THJ. Wish we could move Baze but for the moment we are stuck with his ridiculous azz contract.

7 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

I know where you stand.. :tiphat:

but you know, much like horford, if sap walks you'll have those saying it's Howard's fault

True, but after some thought I think you have to let Sap walk because you can't afford to put that much money into a 32 year old vet. We need some younger talent.

Yeah I'm pretty much settled on Giles after looking around a bit more. In the 18-20 range you really can't do better from a risk-reward standpoint.

1 hour ago, HEIST said:

Philadelphia or Minnesota depending on the health of Simmons/Embiid. Philly is going to be dominate if those two stay healthy, they still have lottery picks coming in too, with a buttload of capspace and rookie contracts. Who do you think has a brighter future.. those teams you mentioned or the Hawks? And what are the Hawks doing in the meantime that makes it worthwhile? 

I think every year people think good things are going to come to fruition for Philadelphia, but they don't.. and they keep picking early.. and Minnesota is going to have to contend in the west meaning more than likely they garner the same treadmill status we do..

my opinion is the hawks are closer right now than either.. get rid of baze's contract (it's doable because remember no one thought we could get out from under JJs either) and go from there

blkbigdog35 and jayu70 like this

43 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

True, but after some thought I think you have to let Sap walk because you can't afford to put that much money into a 32 year old vet. We need some younger talent.

Agreed.. what Free agent PFs are there this year?

14 minutes ago, HEIST said:

Yeah I'm pretty much settled on Giles after looking around a bit more. In the 18-20 range you really can't do better from a risk-reward standpoint.

Did Giles declare?

15 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

N22017-free-agent-rankings-power-forwards017-fr2017-free-agent-rankings-power-forwardsee-agentpo

Power Forward Rankings 2017

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/2017-free-agent-rankings-power-forwards/

18 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

-rankings-power-forwardsB2017 Free Agent Rankings: Power ForwardsA NBA Free Agency 2017: Power ForwardsFree Agency 2017: Power Forwards

TheTrue7 likes this

5 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

N22017-free-agent-rankings-power-forwards017-fr2017-free-agent-rankings-power-forwardsee-agentpo

Power Forward Rankings 2017

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/2017-free-agent-rankings-power-forwards/

-rankings-power-forwardsB2017 Free Agent Rankings: Power ForwardsA NBA Free Agency 2017: Power ForwardsFree Agency 2017: Power Forwards

We've got 2 of the top 7.. lol

17 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Did Giles declare?

I'm assuming he's going to, he'd be wise to cash in on a weak class for bigs and try to get to NBA health facilities ASAP.

5 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

We've got 2 of the top 7.. lol

Yeah I know, lol Ersan is 29 though but man the Power Forward market is not great, smh

3 minutes ago, HEIST said:

I'm assuming he's going to, he'd be wise to cash in on a weak class for bigs and try to get to NBA health facilities ASAP.

Yeah your probably right but he would probably be better served getting one more year under his belt starting as well.

Score Rank
0 0

What this means

Updated: 3/24/17 10:38 am

#
Team
Player
H
W
P
School
C
6-8
SG/SF
Kansas
Fr.
6-6
PG
UCLA
Fr.
<strong>Phoenix</strong> Phoenix
6-4
PG
Washington
Fr.
<strong>Orlando</strong> Orlando
6-3
PG
Kentucky
Fr.
6-8
SF
Duke
Fr.
<strong>New York</strong> New York
6-10
SF/PF
Florida St.
Fr.
6-5
PG
France
Intl.
<strong>Minnesota</strong> Minnesota
6-2
PG
NC State
Fr.
6-3
SG
Kentucky
Fr.
7-0
PF
Arizona
Fr.
<strong>Charlotte</strong> Charlotte
6-10
PF
UCLA
Fr.
<strong>Portland</strong> Portland
7-0
C
Gonzaga
Fr.
<strong>Detroit</strong> Detroit
6-10
PF/C
Duke
Fr.
<strong>Chicago</strong> Chicago
6-7
SF/PF
Michigan St.
Fr.
<strong>Denver</strong> Denver
6-10
C
Texas
Fr.
<strong>Miami</strong> Miami
6-10
PF/C
Kentucky
Fr.
<strong>Indiana</strong> Indiana
6-11
PF
Germany
Intl.
<strong>Milwaukee</strong> Milwaukee
6-8
SF
Latvia
Intl.
<strong>Atlanta</strong> Atlanta
6-5
SG
Duke
So.
6-10
PF/C
Wake Forest
So.
<strong>Oklahoma Cty</strong> Oklahoma Cty
6-10
PF/C
California
So.
7-0
C
Creighton
Fr.
<strong>Toronto</strong> Toronto
6-9
PF
Syracuse
So.
6-8
SF
North Carolina
Jr.
<strong>Utah</strong> Utah
6-3
SG
Louisville
So.
6-7
SG/SF
Florida St.
So.
6-8
PF/C
Purdue
So.
6-9
PF
Baylor
Jr.
<strong>San Antonio</strong> San Antonio
6-5
SG
Duke
Jr.
<a href='http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_draft_trades/2017'  title='Jazz receive the Warriors 2017 first-round pick.'  class='mock_team_link'><strong>*Utah</strong></a> *Utah
6-7
SG
USA
Intl.
#
Team
Player
H
W
P
School
C
6-9
PF
Utah
Jr.
<strong>LA Lakers</strong> LA Lakers
6-6
PG/SG
South Carolina
So.
<strong>Phoenix</strong> Phoenix
6-0
PG
Oklahoma State
So.
<strong>Orlando</strong> Orlando
6-8
PF
Nevada
So.
6-8
PF
Oregon
Jr.
<a href='http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_draft_trades/2017'  title='Jazz receive the Knicks 2017 second-round pick.'  class='mock_team_link'><strong>*Utah</strong></a> *Utah
6-7
SG/SF
Kansas State
Sr.
6-4
SG
Arizona
So.
6-5
SG
South Carolina
Sr.
6-7
SF/PF
SMU
Jr.
6-10
C
Arkansas
Sr.
<strong>Charlotte</strong> Charlotte
6-8
SF
Clemson
Sr.
6-2
PG
Iowa St.
Sr.
<a href='http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_draft_trades/2017'  title='Jazz receive the Pistons 2017 second-round pick.'  class='mock_team_link'><strong>*Utah</strong></a> *Utah
6-6
SF
Oregon
Jr.
6-5
SG
Villanova
Sr.
7-1
C
Latvia
Intl.
<a href='http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_draft_trades/2017'  title='Hawks receive the Heat 2017 second-round pick (protected 31-40).'  class='mock_team_link'><strong>*Miami</strong></a> *Miami
7-1
PF/C
France
Intl.
<strong>Indiana</strong> Indiana
6-3
PG
Gonzaga
Jr.
<strong>Milwaukee</strong> Milwaukee
6-0
PG
Kansas
Sr.
6-5
SG/SF
Xavier
Jr.
6-3
SG
Arizona
Sr.
<strong>Oklahoma Cty</strong> Oklahoma Cty
6-8
PF
North Carolina
Sr.
6-10
PF/C
Oregon
Sr.
6-10
C
Indiana
So.
<strong>Washington</strong> Washington
6-10
PF
France
Intl.
<strong>Utah</strong> Utah
6-9
PF
Australia
Intl.
6-8
PF
Valparaiso
Sr.
6-8
SF
Notre Dame
Sr.
7-5
C
Slovak Republic
Intl.
<strong>San Antonio</strong> San Antonio
6-6
SG
Serbia
Intl.
<a href='http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_draft_trades/2017'  title='Jazz receive the Warriors 2017 second-round pick.'  class='mock_team_link'><strong>*Utah</strong></a> *Utah
6-8
SF
Slovenia
Intl.