Jacob Tamme would love to stay with Falcons, but 49ers a possibility

http://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/26020/jacob-tamme-would-love-to-stay-with-falcons-but-49ers-a-possibility

Jacob Tamme could be a factor in the Atlanta Falcons' future under new offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian. Or Tamme could end up helping his old coordinator establish the offense in new surroundings.

Tamme, a veteran tight end who turns 32 next month, is one of 17 Falcons set to become unrestricted free agents when the new league year begins March 9. He was an integral part of the NFL's top-scoring offense until he suffered a season-ending right shoulder injury against Green Bay in Week 8 of the regular season.

General manager Thomas Dimitroff said the Falcons’ primary objective is locking up their own players coming off a Super Bowl run. Where Tamme stands in the pecking order remains unclear, but he wants to return.

"I love being a Falcon, love my teammates, love what we have going on here in this organization," Tamme told ESPN.com. "I’m interested to see what the future holds."

Tamme, coming off a two-year contract with the Falcons that had a base value of $2.9 million, didn’t want to speculate about other options, but multiple sources indicated San Francisco is a strong possibility if Tamme doesn’t re-sign with the Falcons. The 49ers are now coached by former Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. There's little doubt Shanahan would love to have a cerebral player such as Tamme on board to help implement his offense, although the 49ers just re-signed tight end Vance McDonald to a five-year contract extension in December.

Tamme was the Falcons’ leading receiver after the first three games of 2016 with 14 catches for 154 yards and a touchdown. Then, in a 33-32 victory over Green Bay on Oct. 30, he injured the AC joint in his right shoulder, which resulted in season-ending surgery. Tamme said he was told the recovery process would take to five to six months, and it’s been three so far.

"I’m rocking and rolling with rehab and it’s going great," he said. "I feel like I could play in a month. ... Just been focused on the day to day."

The Falcons invested a third-round draft pick in tight end Austin Hooperlast year, and Hooper emerged as a threat as the season progressed as he recovered from an MCL sprain. Hooper, who caught a touchdown pass in the Super Bowl, is expected be the featured pass-catching tight end moving forward, with his blocking still a work in progress.

Levine Toilolo, who enjoyed some success in 2016 both catching and blocking, is also set to become an unrestricted free agent along with Tamme. The Falcons also liked what they saw from undrafted rookie Joshua Perkins, who played for Sarkisian at the University of Washington.

We’ll see how much the Falcons value Tamme, who won't carry a high price tag.

"He’s a true pro," tight ends coach Wade Harman said of Tamme during Super Bowl week media availability. "He’s very reliable. He studies his craft. He can be counted on to be at the right place at the right time, executing his assignment. He gets the most out of his ability. It was a credit to him that he was playing some of the best football in this part of his career, in my opinion. After the [2015] season, we targeted some things to improve on and he nailed it in the offseason."

Tamme started his career with the Indianapolis Colts in 2008. He became a favorite target of Peyton Manning, so much that Manning hand-picked Tamme to join him in Denver with the Broncos.

Tamme also developed chemistry with NFL MVP Matt Ryan. We’ll see if that connection continues into next season.

32 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/26020/jacob-tamme-would-love-to-stay-with-falcons-but-49ers-a-possibility

Jacob Tamme could be a factor in the Atlanta Falcons' future under new offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian. Or Tamme could end up helping his old coordinator establish the offense in new surroundings.

Tamme, a veteran tight end who turns 32 next month, is one of 17 Falcons set to become unrestricted free agents when the new league year begins March 9. He was an integral part of the NFL's top-scoring offense until he suffered a season-ending right shoulder injury against Green Bay in Week 8 of the regular season.

General manager Thomas Dimitroff said the Falcons’ primary objective is locking up their own players coming off a Super Bowl run. Where Tamme stands in the pecking order remains unclear, but he wants to return.

"I love being a Falcon, love my teammates, love what we have going on here in this organization," Tamme told ESPN.com. "I’m interested to see what the future holds."

Tamme, coming off a two-year contract with the Falcons that had a base value of $2.9 million, didn’t want to speculate about other options, but multiple sources indicated San Francisco is a strong possibility if Tamme doesn’t re-sign with the Falcons. The 49ers are now coached by former Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. There's little doubt Shanahan would love to have a cerebral player such as Tamme on board to help implement his offense, although the 49ers just re-signed tight end Vance McDonald to a five-year contract extension in December.

Tamme was the Falcons’ leading receiver after the first three games of 2016 with 14 catches for 154 yards and a touchdown. Then, in a 33-32 victory over Green Bay on Oct. 30, he injured the AC joint in his right shoulder, which resulted in season-ending surgery. Tamme said he was told the recovery process would take to five to six months, and it’s been three so far.

"I’m rocking and rolling with rehab and it’s going great," he said. "I feel like I could play in a month. ... Just been focused on the day to day."

The Falcons invested a third-round draft pick in tight end Austin Hooperlast year, and Hooper emerged as a threat as the season progressed as he recovered from an MCL sprain. Hooper, who caught a touchdown pass in the Super Bowl, is expected be the featured pass-catching tight end moving forward, with his blocking still a work in progress.

Levine Toilolo, who enjoyed some success in 2016 both catching and blocking, is also set to become an unrestricted free agent along with Tamme. The Falcons also liked what they saw from undrafted rookie Joshua Perkins, who played for Sarkisian at the University of Washington.

We’ll see how much the Falcons value Tamme, who won't carry a high price tag.

"He’s a true pro," tight ends coach Wade Harman said of Tamme during Super Bowl week media availability. "He’s very reliable. He studies his craft. He can be counted on to be at the right place at the right time, executing his assignment. He gets the most out of his ability. It was a credit to him that he was playing some of the best football in this part of his career, in my opinion. After the [2015] season, we targeted some things to improve on and he nailed it in the offseason."

Tamme started his career with the Indianapolis Colts in 2008. He became a favorite target of Peyton Manning, so much that Manning hand-picked Tamme to join him in Denver with the Broncos.

Tamme also developed chemistry with NFL MVP Matt Ryan. We’ll see if that connection continues into next season.

Lolo wont be a falcon. Tamme, Hooper & Perkins stay.

Bring him back for another season if the price is right.  I'd keep the band together as far as the TE group goes and bring back Levine too, of course if the $ are right.

I ultimately want to see this team stay intact.   Add an FA or two, another draft, and another year for the young talent we already have and let's go back to the big dance and win the whole **** thing this time!

1 hour ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Lolo wont be a falcon. Tamme, Hooper & Perkins stay.

anything behind that or just preference? I definitely think hoop lolo and perk will be the ones to stay. One hes not under contract and keeping the other 3 will be cheaper. And i think you give hoop the snaps, production wise we wont miss tamme. this team has always got on the FO for paying players in their tail end of careers, lets let the young pups eat

Tamme will be invited to go elsewhere.  We are three deep at TE without him assuming we re-sign Lolo.  Tamme is about to be on his last contract and frankly, we just don't need him - we have Hoop/Perk whose primary role is catching and Lolo is designated blocker who can catch.

Even with higher taxes and COL in SF, if Tamme can make $1-2mm/yr somewhere else, it would be in his best interest to do so.

Most players on this team can stay but it will come down to them taking less money.

Freeman, allen, toilolo, ishmael, dimarco, gabriel and tamme are all guys who are going to have to take team friendly deals if they want to stay with the falcons. Guys like trufant, ryan, Matthews and eventually Beasley are all going to get paid franchise dollars and there will be only so much to go around. Guys like Coleman, jones, Campbell and Neal will also want to get paid in the next 3 years or less and will also get big bucks.

Guys will have to take team friendly deals if we want to keep this depth and amazing core together. I feel like we do have the best core in the NFL and honestly we don't need big time free agents this year. Another mid level guard and pass rusher is all we need, not big money guys like Ingram berry or zietler, etc. We can't afford to pay those type of guys and also the glue guys on our team

We have a lot of cap space, but that will be used to pay glue guys like I listed above.

Yes, this really does come down to if Toilolo wants to leave, and if he does is Tamme your main blocking TE coming off a shoulder injury? Checkmate. Perkins projects how vs Tamme? Etc. Hooper got his feet grounded moving forward.

Really boils down to who your blocking TE is even if Toilolo wants to get paid more than Atlanta might offer him. The problem is still who your blocking TE would be. Tamme is so light...

Save the money; sign Toilolo instead and try to get one big FA like Zeitler to upgrade RG with any money savings toward a move like that as we can draft/sign undrafted FA/get another player through the system like a Perkins. Hooper already is on the cusp behind Tamme. Not quite reliable enough but projecting where your players can be is where the value and trade offs come to consider FA spending money as a whole projecting for the draft/undrafted FA signings.

NOTE: That money also has to be used on Tru, Free, and maybe on a Ryan extension (in terms of exension signing bonuses too even if Matt's cap hit were to be like this seaon's per year on a new deall; currently it drops next year until extension).

Edited by slimjim