12 hours ago, Wardog357 said:

Well...I'm definitely better but.....today I was in mattress Firm buying some sheets....and the sales guy was talking football. Said he doesn't get to see his team down here in the south to often...yep....he was a Patriots fan. I told him well.....I'm the anti Christ of that. He said he was fixing to leave where he was with a friend watching the game. He said if we kicked the field goal it was over. No Sh** Sherlock. He said there was no way we should have lost that game. I swear...it's like being a fan of this team is some sort of ancient punishemnet bestowed to us. But anyways...I'm better but a conversation like that still makes me sick. Butttttttttttttttt GO FALCONS

Yup. I'm so tired of having variations of this conversation with every Pats fan I come across up here in New England. 

Everyone knows I'm a Falcons fan so as soon as they see me they launch into their story. 

Just yesterday, I had someone I know through work tell me, "I had to put my 7-year-old to bed at 28-3. He was sobbing, inconsolable at how badly his favorite team was being dominated, and I told him that we'd get 'em next year. He was utterly shocked when I woke him up the next morning."

Yeah. Join the club, kiddo. 

The Pats fans all believed as much as we did that it was over. That their beloved Tom Brady was looking as pedestrian as they come.

We had a FOUR possession lead with only a quarter and a half between us and a Lombardi.

F***.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

You need therapist just like I used it...I am now borderline severe depression with antibiotics prescription 3 x a day.

This thoughts won'tgo away until we lift Lombardi.

Anything less.....will continue with pills.

Not sure if you're serious but if you are why would you take antibiotics for depression? That's like one of the worst things you can do. 

53 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

You need therapist just like I used it...I am now borderline severe depression with antibiotics prescription 3 x a day.

This thoughts won'tgo away until we lift Lombardi.

Anything less.....will continue with pills.

If this is true then it's very sad that football has that much impact on your life.

So, during the winter I always wear my Falcons hoodie when I go to the gym.  In the days leading up to the Super Bowl the people working there were always saying things like, "I hope the Falcons crush the Patriots!", or, "Go Falcons!".  The day after the Super Bowl they were very quiet and respectful as I walked in, and finally one woman said, "I'm sorry for your loss.", in a tone usually associated with consolation to a grieving parent.  I looked at her and said, "Well, at least you didn't say everything happens for a reason.", and we both laughed.  (I think it would be much harder if I lived in New England; in Baltimore almost everyone hates the Patriots.)

I'm over it.  I've actually re-watched the game twice, and I've read a bunch of analyses.  I hope the Falcons come back strong next year, and I think they will barring injuries, but I very much enjoyed this season.

38 minutes ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

Yup. I'm so tired of having variations of this conversation with every Pats fan I come across up here in New England. 

Everyone knows I'm a Falcons fan so as soon as they see me they launch into their story. 

Just yesterday, I had someone I know through work tell me, "I had to put my 7-year-old to bed at 28-3. He was sobbing, inconsolable at how badly his favorite team was being dominated, and I told him that we'd get 'em next year. He was utterly shocked when I woke him up the next morning."

The Pats fans all believed as much as we did that it was over. That their beloved Tom Brady was looking as pedestrian as they come.

We had a FOUR possession lead with only a quarter and a half between us and a Lombardi.

F***.

It gets better.

1 hour ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

F***.

Yeah....it defintely keeps coming back to haunt us. I'm ready to move on.....or try to at least. If I could shut up everyone else it'd alright. Because of the way we lost...I'm afraid we are going to be another highlight reel for years to come. Like the blocked punt gainst NO.

It definitely still stings, but if you had asked almost anyone on these boards midseason if they would call a Superbowl visit, a lights out playoff performance by Matt Ryan, and a Defense that would manhandle Seattle, Green Bay, and New England for three quarters, a success, they would be ecstatic.

As the season wore along our expectations changed, but if you look at the growth we made from year 1 to year 2 under DQ and the bright future we have with our roster, it definitely makes it a slightly easier pill to swallow.

If I felt our window was closing or had closed then I wouldn't be getting over this loss for a looooooong time.

18 minutes ago, RiversideFalcon said:

The game was the ultimate football fan "****" tease of the Lombardi trophy.  

28-09 end of the third quarter,  couldn't  properly finish one more **** quarter.

In some ways,  that 55-10 blow out of Denver by Frisco is almost more respectable than failing to hold down the game for another lousy 15 minutes worth of game time. 

No.  On this I absolutely, and respectfully, disagree. Losing because you look like you didn't belong in the game in the first place is the worst.  The Falcons not only looked like they belonged, they made the Patriots look like they didn't, only to lose because of a series of improbable plays and inexplicable decisions.

3 minutes ago, Upstate NY Falcon said:

It definitely still stings, but if you had asked almost anyone on these boards midseason if they would call a Superbowl visit, a lights out playoff performance by Matt Ryan, and a Defense that would manhandle Seattle, Green Bay, and New England for three quarters, a success, they would be ecstatic.

As the season wore along our expectations changed, but if you look at the growth we made from year 1 to year 2 under DQ and the bright future we have with our roster, it definitely makes it a slightly easier pill to swallow.

If I felt our window was closing or had closed then I wouldn't be getting over this loss for a looooooong time.

On this, I agree.  It would be much harder if the Falcons did not look so promising.

But, I also have to say, at the end of the day, it's only a game.  It's important to keep perspective.

I'm like 95% over it. I've even gone back to watching Sound FX clips of the season but I always stop at the NFCCG. I don't think I'll ever watch the Super Bowl stuff and I haven't had the heart to read/listen to any sports media besides here, 92.9, 680 and Twitter.

Now, the sadness and anger only really comes up whenever me and my mom talk about the good parts of the season, Matt or Julio. Then, one of us will go on a mini Kyle Shanahan rant lol.

It will never get better for me until we actually win one. Although I try to be optimistic I only have to look at my dad. He was a huge Falcon fan since Atlanta was granted the franchise back in 1965. Year after year he waited and fully believed he would see the Falcons win a super bowl in his lifetime. Well, guess what? He never did. Think of all the Falcon fans they have passed away since 1965 to present who will never have that opportunity. Yes, this one hurts bad.  

3 hours ago, conalthomas said:

No.  On this I absolutely, and respectfully, disagree. Losing because you look like you didn't belong in the game in the first place is the worst.  The Falcons not only looked like they belonged, they made the Patriots look like they didn't, only to lose because of a series of improbable plays and inexplicable decisions.

I get it.  But that 28-09 end of third quarter lead, everyone knows how quickly 15 minutes can fly bye?

But I too just imagine every champion representing the last previous 50 Super Bowls, from `66 Green Bay to  `15 Denver.  Give them a 28-03 lead or even a 28-09 end of third quarter lead and witness how they would have closed out the game like representative champions.  But, nnnnoooo, not the Falcons naturally given our hard luck history.  

We were so deserving of that Lombardi so much and played like true champions but failed to close out the game like a champion should. 

Edited by RiversideFalcon
6 hours ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

F***

BC I honestly don't know how you are doing it, smack dab in the middle of all of that. Got to see my brother in law and nephew (big Falcons fans too) the first time today. It's painful when talking with people on our side.  

14 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

BC I honestly don't know how you are doing it, smack dab in the middle of all of that. Got to see my brother in law and nephew (big Falcons fans too) the first time today. It's painful when talking with people on our side.  

The one thing - the ONLY thing - that is getting me through all these conversations without punching someone is a thought I'm not actually voicing but that comes into my head with every Patriots fan I talk to.

And that thought is, "I'm a truer fan than you are."

Maybe that sounds harsh, but it's how I feel.

The majority of people I interact with up here are either bandwagon Pats fans or Pats fans only during the Tom Brady era. And through no fault of their own, these fans simply do not know what it means to stick with a team through thick and thin. To them, the question is not IF they'll make the play-offs, but how far they'll advance. A "losing" season means they didn't win the Super Bowl.

It's EASY to be a fan of that kind of team.

It's not easy to be a fan of a team where the playoffs are far from certain. It's not easy to hold your head up after that absolute meltdown and say, "I still love my team, I'm still going to root for them like a crazy person next year."

That's not easy. But it's TRUE.

Falcons fans are TRUE fans, and I just try to keep that in mind with every conversation up here.

When we finally do win it, it's going to be sweet in a way that most of the Pats fans I encounter could never possibly imagine. 

I said it right after the game and I still say that was a disgusting way to lose, even for the Falcons. A 7-alarm dumpster fire of an ending to a thrilling, almost-storybook season. It took me awhile to come to terms with it, but as a fan of this team you learn to pull it back together and move on. Hopefully the window for more championship opportunities will be open for the next three or four years if not longer.

1 minute ago, PokerSteve said:

I said it right after the game and I still say that was a disgusting way to lose, even for the Falcons. A 7-alarm dumpster fire of an ending to a thrilling, almost-storybook season. It took me awhile to come to terms with it, but as a fan of this team you learn to pull it back together and move on. Hopefully the window for more championship opportunities will be open for the next three or four years if not longer.

Friend, literally one of the first things I thought of when we went up 28-3 was your avatar and how that little dude was finally, finally about to get his wish, lol.

It WAS a dumpster fire of an ending, that's the perfect description.

But I really do believe that the Lombardi is still close on the horizon.

The only other time I've had these emotions is when I went thru a very difficult break up with a girlfriend. 

Couldnt go 5 minutes without thinking about her and all the good times we shared. Then I would think about how she was probably screwing someone else and get sick to my stomach. 

I think the only cure is time when you go through something as traumatic as what we all experienced. 

This thread has actually been fairly therapeutic for me. 

Edited by DirtyBirds5430
7 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

If this is true then it's very sad that football has that much impact on your life.

I disagree. An NFL season is approximately what.... 26 weeks long if you include preseason? Then factor in the offseason(draft,combine,free agency) as well as the daily commute listening to Atl Sports talk... That's easily half a year every year. 

What happened February 5th was very traumatic. And for someone who has 82k posts I'm surprised your judging a man for having those feelings. 

1 minute ago, DirtyBirds5430 said:

I disagree. An NFL season is approximately what.... 26 weeks long if you include preseason? Then factor in the offseason(draft,combine,free agency) as well as the daily commute listening to Atl Sports talk... That's easily half a year every year. 

What happened February 5th was very traumatic. And for someone who has 82k posts I'm surprised your judging a man for having those feelings. 

I post here to pass my free time. I post here during games. 82,000 posts in nearly 15 years of me posting here isn't really all that much.

Football isn't that important to me. Not to the point of where I get physically depressed over a loss and have to seek counseling. If I were a player, coach or GM. Then sure. But I'm not. Football is entertainment. I have no say in what happens so which should it effect me so much?