Sandy5prings

Does it still hurt?

139 posts in this topic

Every day I wake up  excited that the Combine and the Draft are around the corner but then I get those dreaded 'brain zaps' from the game. 

I get excited by Taylor Gabriel returning and then start thinking what might have been

I think of all the new additions we're going to make to our DL and LB Corps but immediately have flashes of the last 5 drives

This fvck1ng sucks  guys. I'm scarred. It's worse than losing your first dog. 

Yes it still hurts. I think about it multiple times per day. Not as bad as the first 5 days after but it crosses my mind a lot. 

Falcons football is my favorite thing though 

FalconBlood likes this

I'm over thinking about it and hurting, but it does still hurt when it's brought up, and we'll never live that one down.  The good news is that it will hurt less and less and eventually you can just laugh at your past misery like 1998 and the Eugene Robinson deal.

On a positive note, Gil Brandt listed his top offenses of all time, and we were #5.  The 1999 Rams, 2007 Patriots, 2011 Packers, and 2013 Broncos were the only ones listed ahead of us.  We will be remembered like those teams as one of the greatest offenses in history.  That's some rare company, and it is a special thing.  I know I am proud of it.

My wife still often listens to the song "Rise Up", by Andra Day, that was playing in the stadium after we smashed the Packers in the NFCCG; as we were watching together in the GA Dome and in awe at our team celebrating the fact that they were actually going to the Super Bowl. That was one of the happier moments of our marriage so far, that NFC Championship experience. She listened to the "Rise Up" song every day leading up to the Super Bowl. After her dad passed away last year, I think she was just trying to milk this season's happiness and magic for all it's worth. The day came. We looked at each other in disbelief throughout the Super Bowl. They were really doing it, dominating the legendary Patriots in all phases. I started to get somewhat comfortable. Congratulation texts were flooding my phone because everyone knew how big a Falcons fan I was. I was looking forward to calling my dad and brother in law and basking in the moment. Most of all, other than my own building joy, I was thrilled to share such a high moment with my wife who had been experiencing so many low ones as of late. Then the unthinkable, improbable, and gut-wrenching occurred. They threw that dream away: Pass Plays, Sacks, Fumbles, Missed Coverages, and Missed Blocks. I have not willingly watched one highlight or replay of the game or collapse since. I am so proud of what the 2016 Falcons accomplished, well more than any of us expected, but I really wanted that moment to come to fruition. The moment they seemed to have promised us in the 3rd quarter; when a "99.9 win probability" image is texted to me. We all wish Matt Bryant got the opportunity. I hate that my Madden video game strategy and time management was greater than our professional football team's in that last stretch. I wish I could have felt that Super Bowl winning high, with my friends, family and my wife. She cried so hard after the game. She has cried lots since her dad passed away. It looked the same, but it sucked a ton because I felt that sad cry could've so easily been avoided and instead been extreme elation. I never cried. I just have been processing it. Everything was right. Hardly anyone wanted another Patriots SB win, we were America's team for a day, we were a prolific offense, our vibe was so upbeat and magical, our young defense was clicking, we had the MVP and OPY at QB, we had the magic, we had the incredibly motivating head coach and for some reason, it didn't add up. We have a bright window of contention upcoming. Some say 3 years, some say 6 or 7, I have no idea. I hope to God they can get it done, because I am not sure I will live long enough to see this team have another Super Bowl worthy roster like it has right now. Hopefully the Falcons coaches and players, and we the fans, can keep this magic going into the new stadium. I think they can, I have faith they can, but I am hesitant to ever think too confidently or hopefully about this team again after the final sequences of SB LI and thereafter. But yes, my wife still listens to that "Rise Up" song by Andra Day daily. I don't know if she remembers mainly the NFCCG. I don't know if she thinks about SB LI more. I don't know if she just likes the song, because it does have an excellent message for everyday life. I wish that song reminded me of not just the NFCCG but of the SB LI that seemed inevitable in the 3rd quarter. Right now it kind of bums me out to hear it, even though I think it is an excellent team ballad. I hope this team can "Rise Up" soon for all of us, Atlanta, myself, my wife, and my family. It was a joyous moment I thought I needed or was somehow due once I began to feel it would happen, as everything pointed to it. Honestly, I am doing a lot better. Count your blessings. Enjoy other things. And truly, come next season, we will have arguably the leagues best stadium, the MVP of the league, the hottest young coach, some of the best star players and young players this league has to offer, and some new players to be excited about. I for one, am extremely cautiously optimistic. RISE UP.

Edited by FalconBlood

I have followed this team for forty five years.  Like it or not, it is a part of my fabric.  

Yes, it still hurts and I suspect that it will always hurt.  Even if we win a championship, this loss will hurt.  

I did not feel this way back in '98 because the better team won.  This time, we gave away the victory....and that bothers me beyond description.  

You are not alone, for many of us, this will be a scar that stings from time to time........Harry Potter-like.  

It didn't hit me as hard as the NFC championship loss in 2012 strangely. Maybe because it was so ridiculous. I had resigned myself to the fact it was happening as the game was going on while the 49ers game ended with us on offense. 

Still bothers me from time to time. I admit that all the articles about the loss and the Falcons being the laughing stock of the NFL is just a plain bummer....and to think we coulda been the ones to actually break the team that was favorites to win and prove ourselves to everyone hurts just as bad. My girlfriend is a Cowboys fan (originally being from Texas) but she has been very supportive and she knows how much this has meant to our city...And just like mentioned earlier, every so often the thing that goes through my mind is "Run the **** ball!!". SMH

I still kind of think back on it randomly almost as if it wasnt real. Ill think "**** that didnt happen, did it?". Its weird. I just dont remember the 4th quarter at all. Like my brain knew something tragic was happening and it sent the video right to the recycle bin, right clicked and selected empty recycle bin and clicked yes to permanently deleting the files from the computer.

Kung-Pow likes this

I remember posting on FB..."can we hold them for 15 more minutes." In my wildest dream I could not imagined what I witnessed in that final 15 minutes.

But yes it still hurts a bit because they were just three runs away and a field goal to being SB champs. 

I'm not sure I really have any experience dealing with the kind of emotions I've experienced over the past few weeks. 

I would imagine this is how the citizens of ancient Rome would feel after it was defeated in the battle of Cannae

It will always hurt. Anyone who says different is a liar, either to us or themselves. We were up by 25 points in the SB on our way to bringing the first Lombardi home. The pain will get duller over time but yeah it will always be there until we actually win the whole thing.

Vandy, HouseofEuphoria and Jerz like this

5 hours ago, FalconBlood said:

My wife still often listens to the song "Rise Up", by Andra Day, that was playing in the stadium after we smashed the Packers in the NFCCG; as we were watching together in the GA Dome and in awe at our team celebrating the fact that they were actually going to the Super Bowl. That was one of the happier moments of our marriage so far, that NFC Championship experience. She listened to the "Rise Up" song every day leading up to the Super Bowl. After her dad passed away last year, I think she was just trying to milk this season's happiness and magic for all it's worth. The day came. We looked at each other in disbelief throughout the Super Bowl. They were really doing it, dominating the legendary Patriots in all phases. I started to get somewhat comfortable. Congratulation texts were flooding my phone because everyone knew how big a Falcons fan I was. I was looking forward to calling my dad and brother in law and basking in the moment. Most of all, other than my own building joy, I was thrilled to share such a high moment with my wife who had been experiencing so many low ones as of late. Then the unthinkable, improbable, and gut-wrenching occurred. They threw that dream away: Pass Plays, Sacks, Fumbles, Missed Coverages, and Missed Blocks. I have not willingly watched one highlight or replay of the game or collapse since. I am so proud of what the 2016 Falcons accomplished, well more than any of us expected, but I really wanted that moment to come to fruition. The moment they seemed to have promised us in the 3rd quarter; when a "99.9 win probability" image is texted to me. We all wish Matt Bryant got the opportunity. I hate that my Madden video game strategy and time management was greater than our professional football team's in that last stretch. I wish I could have felt that Super Bowl winning high, with my friends, family and my wife. She cried so hard after the game. She has cried lots since her dad passed away. It looked the same, but it sucked a ton because I felt that sad cry could've so easily been avoided and instead been extreme elation. I never cried. I just have been processing it. Everything was right. Hardly anyone wanted another Patriots SB win, we were America's team for a day, we were a prolific offense, our vibe was so upbeat and magical, our young defense was clicking, we had the MVP and OPY at QB, we had the magic, we had the incredibly motivating head coach and for some reason, it didn't add up. We have a bright window of contention upcoming. Some say 3 years, some say 6 or 7, I have no idea. I hope to God they can get it done, because I am not sure I will live long enough to see this team have another Super Bowl worthy roster like it has right now. Hopefully the Falcons coaches and players, and we the fans, can keep this magic going into the new stadium. I think they can, I have faith they can, but I am hesitant to ever think too confidently or hopefully about this team again after the final sequences of SB LI and thereafter. But yes, my wife still listens to that "Rise Up" song by Andra Day daily. I don't know if she remembers mainly the NFCCG. I don't know if she thinks about SB LI more. I don't know if she just likes the song, because it does have an excellent message for everyday life. I wish that song reminded me of not just the NFCCG and but of the SB LI that seemed inevitable in the 3rd quarter. Right now it kind of bums me out to hear it, even though I think it is an excellent team ballad. I hope this team can "Rise Up" soon for all of us, Atlanta, myself, my wife, and my family. It was a joyous moment I thought I needed or was somehow due once I began to feel it would happen, as everything pointed to it. Honestly, I am doing a lot better. Count your blessings. Enjoy other things. And truly, come next season, we will have arguably the leagues best stadium, the MVP of the league, the hottest young coach, some of the best star players and young players this league has to offer, and some new players to be excited about. I for one, am extremely cautiously optimistic. RISE UP.

What a brilliant and honest summary of the gut wrenching game, bravo to you and your wife!

As for me, I'm mostly over it but I probably think about it at least once a day, thinking about how a different play during any one of our three posessions would have led to a win.

In the immediate aftermath I wanted the new season to start next week and I'm very optimistic about this team. I pray that we don't regress and 2016 becomes a curse - our best shot to win it for another 20 years.

But I see an improving D, a QB that we can truly believe in, an O-line that came together (sadly they picked the 4th quarter of the SB to play their worst quarter of the year), a coaching staff that preaches aggression, simplicity, brotherhood, and teaching.

This year was the most fun I've had watching the Falcons since I became a fan in 1980 - thank you!!!

Man, just typing this response has me fired up and I can't wait for the Falcons to rip the NFL a new one next year!

Edited by Bart2Ryan+beyond
FalconBlood likes this