If we had had a top 15 defense (with depth), we'd have beat New England

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, kiwifalcon said:

I think we have a top 15 defense now.

Screw what the stats say.

If Shelby Claybourn and Trufant play we win the SB for sure.

That's why depth is so important. Critical. Between those injuries and our lack of depth our guys couldn't finish. I think when you look at the whole defense, not just starters, we were not top 15 

Just now, ShanghaiDirtyBird said:

That's why depth is so important. Critical. Between those injuries and our lack of depth our guys couldn't finish. I think when you look at the whole defense, not just starters, we were not top 15 

But we do have depth bro that's how we got to the SB Upshaw,Reed for Clayborn Hageman and co picked up Shelby slack and Collins covered up for Trufant.

We got depth man and they played well down the stretch.

Having those 3 starters back increases the competition for spots that's what we missed the internal competition continually pushing one another to get better.

1 hour ago, ShanghaiDirtyBird said:

We will have a top 15 defense next year once we reload...

We'd of beaten New England with common sense play calling with 4 minutes left and on New England's 22.

The Falcon Defense performed well, but got left out on the field far too long, and I don't think there are too many D's out there that can play that many plays in a game, and keep a team from scoring.  The Falcons offense needed to run the ball or at least keep the running backs involved in the passing game more, anything to stay out on the field and eat clock, but that didn't happen. Instead, The Falcon D was forced back out on the field after a turnover and numerous stalled drives. 

The Falcon D is trending upwards, and will certainly be even better next season. I don't even think it is about "Reloading", so much as it about adding depth, and maybe another pass rusher. We still don't really know what we have in Shelby, and I think we have a couple of guys on the roster who will start playing at a higher level. I fee really good about our current D.

If we call common sense plays when there's 3 min left we win the game , defense had 5 sacks , 2 turnovers and held the "great Patriots " to 3 1st half points ... yea are defense needs help but that loss was not a defensive loss... anyone remember the drive where the refs called 3 defensive holding calls when it was 3rd and long ... not saying they didn't do it but it went both ways and we didn't get the calls.... how about a offensive coordinator with common football sense when the game is all but over !

2 hours ago, 4dabirds said:

We'd of beaten New England with common sense play calling with 4 minutes left and on New England's 22.

The Falcon Defense performed well, but got left out on the field far too long, and I don't think there are too many D's out there that can play that many plays in a game, and keep a team from scoring.  The Falcons offense needed to run the ball or at least keep the running backs involved in the passing game more, anything to stay out on the field and eat clock, but that didn't happen. Instead, The Falcon D was forced back out on the field after a turnover and numerous stalled drives. 

The Falcon D is trending upwards, and will certainly be even better next season. I don't even think it is about "Reloading", so much as it about adding depth, and maybe another pass rusher. We still don't really know what we have in Shelby, and I think we have a couple of guys on the roster who will start playing at a higher level. I fee really good about our current D.

Also do not forget the turn-over sack,  it was 3rd down and only 2 yards. That cost us 8 points. 

Man, the arguments are crazy. Nobody game plans are to keep throwing. This was scripted. You don't have to believe it, but keep thinking that a team that has done almost everything right this season. Why would they screw up? Don't give me the ego nonsense either. The Super Bowl was all about Boston and Brady. Look at most of the commercials. The movie about the Boston Marathon Bombing is called Patriots Day. The Cruise Terminal nearby where the bombing took place is called the Black Falcon. Every media story is about Brady, and his parents. 

19 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Man, the arguments are crazy. Nobody game plans are to keep throwing. This was scripted. You don't have to believe it, but keep thinking that a team that has done almost everything right this season. Why would they screw up? Don't give me the ego nonsense either. The Super Bowl was all about Boston and Brady. Look at most of the commercials. The movie about the Boston Marathon Bombing is called Patriots Day. The Cruise Terminal nearby where the bombing took place is called the Black Falcon. Every media story is about Brady, and his parents. 

People act like the Super Bowl is the first time that Shanahan deceived that we didn't need to run the ball regardless of the situation or how effective or ineffective the running game was. It happened quite a few times in his 2 years here.

A 15th ranked defense would have been totally gassed by the 4th quarter of that game.

I'm not going to shift any of the blame for what happened on those guys on that side of the ball who shut those NE ******** down long enough for us to build a 25 point aecond half lead.

We can also fill the world up with other useless hypotheticals.. we would have won if not for a miracle catch... we would have won if Tom Brady had made one more errant pass. We would have won if this or that. 

Truth is though that we had it won with the team we had, including our unfairly maligned D

We would have beat NE had the director of our offense sitting up in the booth not had his head up his ***, wanting to walk away with style points so much that he forgot to just win the game.

Edited by TheUsualStuff
27 minutes ago, TheUsualStuff said:

A 15th ranked defense would have been totally gassed by the 4th quarter of that game.

I'm not going to shift any of the blame for what happened on those guys on that side of the ball who shut those NE ******** down long enough for us to build a 25 point aecond half lead.

We can also fill the world up with other useless hypotheticals.. we would have won if not for a miracle catch... we would have won if Tom Brady had made one more errant pass. We would have won if this or that. 

Truth is though that we had it won with the team we had, including our unfairly maligned D

We would have beat NE had the director of our offense sitting up in the booth not had his head up his ***, wanting to walk away with style points so much that he forgot to just win the game.

This times 1000^ or in other words as other posters have mention had he just been focused enough to call situational plays. Think in addition to having "his head up his *** he already had his heart in San Francisco as well. Dude couldn't even keep up with his bag containing the playbook and a lot of tickets.

Edited by DixieTwister