Jump to content

As we continue to reflect on the Super Bowl loss - it becomes more & more evident Dan Quinn should have changed the plays from Shanahan.


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

And this is Day 9.

Day 9: The natives are getting restless and I believe some have become deranged from the mental distress of the Super Bowl loss. They keep repeating themselves and making the same points over and over. I'm concerned for their mental health and my own. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, parmenion said:

Dan Quinn should hire an assistant time clock manager which analyses preferred plays with a lead and time left.

He also needs to be become a head coach and respected leader not a partner coach with other coaches.

Parcells, Belchick, Lombardi, Shula were not partner coaches.

I realized from the KC Chiefs game that we need a Situational/Risk Assessment Coach.  Quinn is awesome, but he has a hole in his game.

Even in overtime in the Super Bowl, he should have called time outs before every 2nd down.  (Third down if we had forced them to a third down).  After over 80 plays, there was no chance our defense was stopping them in over time without drastic measures.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jpowers said:

Day 9: The natives are getting restless and I believe some have become deranged from the mental distress of the Super Bowl loss. They keep repeating themselves and making the same points over and over. I'm concerned for their mental health and my own. 

I feel like this entire fan base lost a measure of sanity on 2-5-17.

Anytime we have a 25 point lead next season, we'll all just be in a corner, rocking and muttering.

Link to post
Share on other sites

TMQ learned a valuable lesson in his second year. Based on taking play calling away from Richard Smith due to failed implementation, I would guarantee--forgot never doing 2 2 point conversions again--he will take over situation when game is on line offensively and call for a RUN/Quick Pass /FG. Points are points. TMQ had every reason to trust Shannahan based on his overall performance this season, including playoffs. The 4 minutes left scenario was a situation TMQ felt Shannahan could manage. Now personal game HC experience shows TMQ that he does indeed need to step in and override his ACs when necessary. Guaranteed Blank privately lectured him on this very thing. This SB was our dry run. Lesson learned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lornoth said:

Kyle had complete control over the offense all year and it gave us the #1 offense in the league. Yeah it was a bad series of play calls but you either trust someone or you don't. No issue with Quinn letting Kyle call his game.

This line of thinking is nonsensical.   Nobody is perfect, and everyone loses situational awareness during times in their life.  Particularly high-stress times.  That's when a voice of reason and authority should step in.

When we had the ball with 1-10 at the Pats 21 and 3 minutes left it was basically no different than when the decision is made to go into victory formation and run out the clock.  If Quinn had situational awareness at that time the run/pass decision would not have even existed.  Run/sneak/kneel three times, force the Pats to use more, or all, of their timeouts, kick a high probability 42 yard field goal.  Game Over.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brewman said:

This line of thinking is nonsensical.   Nobody is perfect, and everyone loses situational awareness during times in their life.  Particularly high-stress times.  That's when a voice of reason and authority should step in.

When we had the ball with 1-10 at the Pats 21 and 3 minutes left it was basically no different than when the decision is made to go into victory formation and run out the clock.  If Quinn had situational awareness at that time the run/pass decision would not have even existed.  Run/sneak/kneel three times, force the Pats to use more, or all, of their timeouts, kick a high probability 42 yard field goal.  Game Over.

 

The point is there's a difference between "You're the offense guy, I trust you to call the game", and "You're the offense guy, you get to call the game unless I feel like doing something different." I like the latter approach, if you don't trust your guy, then he shouldn't have the job. Quinn trusted Kyle and it worked all season until the one time it didn't. Mistakes happen. 

Nobody is saying the choice that was made was a good one, I'm just saying I appreciate that Quinn didn't meddle with Kyle, because that can turn bad really fast. Quinn's the D guy, Kyle was the O guy, and Quinn has the appropriate ego to allow that to happen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lornoth said:

The point is there's a difference between "You're the offense guy, I trust you to call the game", and "You're the offense guy, you get to call the game unless I feel like doing something different." I like the latter approach, if you don't trust your guy, then he shouldn't have the job. Quinn trusted Kyle and it worked all season until the one time it didn't. Mistakes happen. 

Nobody is saying the choice that was made was a good one, I'm just saying I appreciate that Quinn didn't meddle with Kyle, because that can turn bad really fast. Quinn's the D guy, Kyle was the O guy, and Quinn has the appropriate ego to allow that to happen. 

And what an "O" guy he turned out to be...I'm sure Tom is still screaming that today with a big fat grin on his face, puffing away on a big stogie! :rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lornoth said:

Kyle had complete control over the offense all year and it gave us the #1 offense in the league. Yeah it was a bad series of play calls but you either trust someone or you don't. No issue with Quinn letting Kyle call his game.

The OP is not suggesting that Quinn should neuter his Coordinators.  

He is simply saying that the Head Coach has the responsibility to set the directives.  Quinn should have called Shanahan and said:  "you have done a great job, but now, I want you to take some time off the clock and set up the game-winning FG."

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, etherdome said:

The OP is not suggesting that Quinn should neuter his Coordinators.  

He is simply saying that the Head Coach has the responsibility to set the directives.  Quinn should have called Shanahan and said:  "you have done a great job, but now, I want you to take some time off the clock and set up the game-winning FG."

And I'm suggesting that you don't start second guessing your OC for the first time in the SB. Your defensive HC overruling the best offensive mind in the game (this season) is going to go wrong a whole lot more often than right. Quinn gave Kyle total control over the offense early and didn't waver from that. The whole rest of the season, doing that worked out for us, and if those passes get completed we're never talking about this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

And I'm suggesting that you don't start second guessing your OC for the first time in the SB. Your defensive HC overruling the best offensive mind in the game (this season) is going to go wrong a whole lot more often than right. Quinn gave Kyle total control over the offense early and didn't waver from that. The whole rest of the season, doing that worked out for us, and if those passes get completed we're never talking about this. 

It is not a matter of second-guessing.  It is a matter of setting the priorities under the circumstances.  

Chew up the clock and set up the high percentage FG wins the game with the fewest risks....pretty simple.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lornoth said:

Kyle had complete control over the offense all year and it gave us the #1 offense in the league. Yeah it was a bad series of play calls but you either trust someone or you don't. No issue with Quinn letting Kyle call his game.

Are you serious? The OC is not equal to the HC, much less his superior. I  have a big issue with our head coach not questioning the play calls with the game on the line. It's his ******* job to do that. 

Edited by Vandy
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, etherdome said:

It is not a matter of second-guessing.  It is a matter of setting the priorities under the circumstances.  

Chew up the clock and set up the high percentage FG wins the game with the fewest risks....pretty simple.  

Or pick up a first down through the air and win the game right then. Keep the defense off the field even longer. Again, I agree it was the wrong play call, but we've been aggressive offensively before and it's worked. It just didn't this time. Kyle called a good offense all year, let him do his thing. If I have a problem it's with Kyle, not Quinn. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...