Unkn0wn

Basketball Thread

288 posts in this topic

NCAA released its new "early look" today. They reveal who the top 16 seeds are if the tournament started today. The NCAA decided to do this to create more buzz in the weeks leading up to Selection Sunday, Here's the first rankings

East

1. Villanova (#1 overall)
  2. Louisville
  3. Kentucky
  4. UCLA

Midwest

1. Kansas
  2. FSU
  3. Arizona
  4. Duke

South

1. Baylor
  2. UNC
  3. Florida
  4. Butler

West

1. Gonzaga
  2. Oregon
  3. Virginia
  4. West Virginia

12 hours ago, tl;dr said:

I think UCLA is underseeded and UK is overseeded. 

Duke is getting hot now. I would NOT want to play Duke right now. 

agreed..  march madness is going to be something.. some terrific teams in that list. 

On 2/16/2017 at 11:14 PM, tl;dr said:

I think UCLA is underseeded and UK is overseeded. 

Duke is getting hot now. I would NOT want to play Duke right now. 

This has been a really weird season for Duke, but they are definitely trending upwards at the right time. 

Coach K got their attention and Grayson finally settled down and started playing well. He's been the key player.

5 hours ago, mdrake34 said:

This has been a really weird season for Duke, but they are definitely trending upwards at the right time. 

And South Carolina is trending downward.  Doing their typical February skid.  If they lose to Florida tonight I say they need to win out to make the NCAA.

5 hours ago, sassy_bird said:

And South Carolina is trending downward.  Doing their typical February skid.  If they lose to Florida tonight I say they need to win out to make the NCAA.

Nah I still think they will be okay. They haven't lost any game to just a horrible team. Every team they have lost to has at least a hope of making the tournament 

South Carolina is in good shape. They have an RPI of 30. Unless they completely collapse they could be around an 8 to 10 seed.

Georgia Tech is probably dead though. They have big wins but that loss to NC State was a killer. They have a worse RPI than UGA right now. UGA is hovering around 60 while Tech is now 75.

The number of mid majors in consideration is down this year. Could be good for the SEC to get more teams in the field. You figure Florida and Kentucky are locks are South Carolina is in good shape. I'm almost ready to say Arkansas is in good shape as well. They only have 1 bad loss (Missouri) and they have several good not great wins. They have 4 games left against the top 100 as well, so they can improve on their 9-5 record vs the top 100 RPI teams.

Then Alabama, Ole Miss, and Tennessee are all bubble teams. If Tennessee loses tonight, I start to wonder how much longer they can hang onto the bubble though. They have several decent wins, but a 15-13 team does not scream tournament to me. 

Vols down 10 to Vandy at half. Bubble bursting loss alert.

Update: Vandy beats the Vols by 11. Bubble burst.

Guess Alabama will never make the tournament again. Man what I would do to see Alabama win the tournament...

Bama is still alive. It's just going to be tough from here. They need to win out and win a game or two in the SEC tournament to have a real shot.

13 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Bama is still alive. It's just going to be tough from here. They need to win out and win a game or two in the SEC tournament to have a real shot.

Alabama has just been SO close in several games this year. Against Florida, Kentucky, and Oregon, they had chances at the end of the game to win, but they just didn't. Same thing with Valpo and Texas... the team just couldn't close.

Right now I think the SEC only gets 4 teams in and MAYBE Vandy or Tennessee can make a push. I doubt it though

i agree the sec gets in just 4 teams which will be kentucky, florida, south carolina and arkansas.  no way the vols will make it.. you can't be under .500 in the conference and make the ncaa tourney in a poor basketball league.  bama's rpi is too low to even be considered.  they are 82 and if you look at their schedule they play 2 teams that are not top 50 in the rpi so they won't get much of a bump even if they win.  i really think vanderbilt and uga are the only 2 teams that have a shot of getting into the ncaa tourney.. uga has a ncaa tourney team in arkansas that if they can win that game and beat auburn they will be top 50 minimum in rpi, but they need a few sec tourney wins to be in the discussion.  vanderbilt has florida and kentucky left so they have a good shot if they can win one of those and a few sec tourney games.  even with that i don't see anything more than 4 teams from the sec.  

34 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

i agree the sec gets in just 4 teams which will be kentucky, florida, south carolina and arkansas.  no way the vols will make it.. you can't be under .500 in the conference and make the ncaa tourney in a poor basketball league.  bama's rpi is too low to even be considered.  they are 82 and if you look at their schedule they play 2 teams that are not top 50 in the rpi so they won't get much of a bump even if they win.  i really think vanderbilt and uga are the only 2 teams that have a shot of getting into the ncaa tourney.. uga has a ncaa tourney team in arkansas that if they can win that game and beat auburn they will be top 50 minimum in rpi, but they need a few sec tourney wins to be in the discussion.  vanderbilt has florida and kentucky left so they have a good shot if they can win one of those and a few sec tourney games.  even with that i don't see anything more than 4 teams from the sec.  

Bama isn't getting in because they are not very good. Nothing to do with RPI. They just have no idea how to score. I agree that UGA and Vandy have some life left. I think both are fighting an up hill battle though.

Tennessee and Alabama have bright futures though. Both have good HC's and have played competitively against several good teams. The future does look bright for the SEC.

Tennessee got smoked by South Carolina. Looks like they've given up. Vandy could be an interesting one to watch. A strong finish and good tournament run might get them a bid. Their RPI is 48 right now. If they manage to upset Kentucky in the next game they'll be onto something.

Vandy up on UK in the 2nd half. That would be a huge step in the right direction for Vandy.

If I had to pick the number one seeds right now, I would say: Kansas, UCLA, Villanova, Gonzaga

I know UCLA was a 4 seed when the top 16 came out, but that's ridiculous IMO

Only team to go winless in conference play this season was North Carolina A&T. They went 1-28 (0-15) overall. They just beat #1 seed North Carolina Central in the first round of the MEAC tournament 68-63. March madness at its finest.

tl;dr and fibonaccisquared like this

Missouri is asking HC Kim Anderson to resign. He went 26-67 during his tenure. They're expected to target Cuonzo Martin