gazoo

Ryan played better in 2016 Playoffs than Tom Brady has ever played in playoffs

522 posts in this topic

I have to give a huge shout out to Matt Ryan. Despite getting pressured on over half of his 28 drop backs in the Super Bowl, he still beasted completing over 75% of his passes for 284 yards, 2 TDs, O Interceptions with a  100% red zone efficiency ( 3 TDs in 3 Red Zone opportunities)

The pass protection broke down due to Mack had a broken leg, Mathews was injured in Kansas City game and hasn't been same since, and Shraeder tore a ligament in his ankle in 2nd quarter of Super Bowl. 

In fact, look at Ryan's 2016 post season numbers compared to Tom Bradys:

Ryan: 70 Attempts, 94 Completions, 71% Completion , 10.3 YPA, 9 TDs, 0 Ints, 135.3 QBR

Brady: 93 Attempts, 142 Completions, 65.5 % Completion, 8.0 YPA,  7 TDs, 3 Interceptions, 97.7 QBR (it was 76.6 in 2015 playoffs)

RYAN PLAYED BETTER IN 2016 PLAYOFFS THAN TOM BRADY HAS EVER PLAYED IN PLAYOFFS

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets take a look at Ryan and Bradys  each QBs career playoff stats:

Ryan: 194 Attempts, 285 Completions, 68.1% Completion , 7.9 YPA,  18 TDs, 7 Ints, 102.4 QBR

Brady: 831 Attempts, 1325 Completions, 65.5 % Completion, 6.9 YPA, 63 TDs, 31 Interceptions, 89.0 QBR

------------------------------------/-------------------------------------------------------

In 14 playoff years, Tom Brady has never come close to matching Matt Ryan's 2016 playoff play. Bradys highest QBR in 14 playoff seasons was 109.4 QBR.  Matt Ryan's was a staggering 135.3 QBR this year.

I know this thread will upset the emotional posters who will reflexively credit Brady for Super Bowl wins and claim that means he played better.

SUPER BOWL WINS ARE TEAM STATS

I'm simply breaking out individual QB play in these games. See if you can address without crediting Brady with team stats.

Ryan played amazing. 1 real mistake that's on him.(taking the sack) Ryan played like an MVP and deserved the Super Bowl. He as at the top of his game. Need to get back and give it another shot, just so tough to go to a super bowl. So many things have to go your way. 

Just a shame

1 minute ago, RYNE said:

Ryan played amazing. 1 real mistake that's on him.(taking the sack) Ryan played like an MVP and deserved the Super Bowl. He as at the top of his game. Need to get back and give it another shot, just so tough to go to a super bowl. So many things have to go your way. 

Just a shame

I don't even know if taking that sack was on Ryan if you are talking about the one on 2nd and 11 on the 21 yard line with just under 4 minutes in game . The defender mowed over Mack and came straight at Ryan who had no place to go so he just made sure to tuck and protect the ball.

HASHBROWN3 likes this

Just now, gazoo said:

I don't even know if taking that sack was on Ryan if you are talking about the one on 2nd and 11 on the 21 yard line with just under 4 minutes in game . The defender mowed over Mack and came straight at Ryan who had no place to go so he just made sure to tuck and protect the ball.

That a fair statement. Idk, you have to think the qb has to be on high alert at that point and at ANY sign of blocking trouble he is just gonna get rid of it. Agree it's hard to fault Ryan for #1 the play call which should have never happened and #2 the lack of blocking and #3 trying to make a play. 

I just think Ryan should have been ready to unload it right away. We are probably hanging a banner in the new stadium if Ryan can just get rid of it. 

I don't blame Ryan for the loss by any means though 

HASHBROWN3 and gazoo like this

Matt's only culpable mistake was taking a sack (notwithstanding the clutch throw to Jones while scrambling the play before). The sack was about 3% of an otherwise complete failure by the whole organization, from coaches to other players.

Nevertheless, it will be his face responsible for the choke.

Fun fact: Ryan is on a 21 TD/0 INT streak and is still going into next year. I don't know what the record is, but I'm pretty sure he's close to the record.

34 minutes ago, RYNE said:

Just a shame

Sorry, but matt made more mistakes than just that one...

Edited by Vandy

2 minutes ago, athell said:

That's my QB

What hurt me more than anything was after the overtime coin toss won by Patriots was watching Ryan on the sideline unable to do anything to get back in the game.

Just the drive before  Ryan threw an epic money pass the Julio where the deep pass could not possibly been thrown in a better location and Julio made an All Pro catch. That was an epic big money play with insane pressure. 

Vandy and athell like this

Just now, gazoo said:

What hurt me more than anything was after the overtime coin toss won by Patriots was watching Ryan on the sideline unable to do anything to get back in the game.

Just the drive before  Ryan threw an epic money pass the Julio where the deep pass could not possibly been thrown in a better location and Julio made an All Pro catch. That was an epic big money play with insane pressure. 

It's a shame that's not the play everyone is talking about from this super bowl, instead of Edelman's lucky "look what I found" catch.

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Sorry, but matt made more mistakes than just that one...

All QBs make many mistakes throughout games.

Im simply looking at the fact that Ryan ran circles around Brady, especially considering Ryan was pressured on over half his drop backs with a busted down  OL.

4dabirds and Vandy like this

1 minute ago, King Jigsaw said:

Matt played better but Brady has the rings.

I guess when you don't get the desired end result, you have to praise the journey? Eh, I'm not ready to do that right now. I wanted that championship.

<sigh>....Agreed....Winning a super bowl is more than who wins the stats. Brady/Pats came through when it counted most.

2 minutes ago, King Jigsaw said:

Matt played better but Brady has the rings.

I guess when you don't get the desired end result, you have to praise the journey? Eh, I'm not ready to do that right now. I wanted that championship.

Team stats vs individual stats. This thread is looking at each QBs individual performance, not each teams collective performance.

Yeah but stats didn't help us win the game.  It's always been about our defense--or lack thereof.  Quinn was brought in for his defensive prowess and we won't consistently prevent comebacks, until this defense can consistently dominate.

14 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Im simply looking at the fact that Ryan ran circles around Brady, especially considering Ryan was pressured on over half his drop backs with a busted down  OL.

Agreed, Brady had no pressure 2nd half of game, none. While matt was under constant pressure and like you said, made some unbelievable throws. That one to Julio was pin-point perfection. 

My biggest complaint with matt was his poor clock management in 4th qtr ...I don't know what in the **** he and Shanny/Quinn were thinking 

Edited by Vandy

Yeah, Ryan had a great postseason.  And the defense did for most of it.  Proud of the team even if I'm still not over the loss.

Aside from coaching, the loss in the SB really comes down to their DL whipping our OL.  That stops an offense no matter how great.  I didn't think they had the horses for it, but they absolutely bench pressed Matthews and Schraeder repeatedly into Ryan's lap.

Vandy, Drew4719 and Falconsin2012 like this

1 minute ago, Da_Truth said:

Yeah but stats didn't help us win the game.  It's always been about our defense--or lack thereof.  Quinn was brought in for his defensive prowess and we won't consistently prevent comebacks, until this defense can consistently dominate.

Defense played well for most of that game. We would all be raving about how the D won that game if Shanny/Quinn/(and yes) even MR had managed that 4rh qtr better

2 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Yeap ,, we all know that... and it was sad to see that Shanny was to hard headed to see that we had to run the ball more to keep them guessing..  With all the people you mentioned hurt and etc,, That is when the running game can fill the holes and needs for others to actually get a break...  No running , No Freeman,, No Superbowl win !!  We have to run the ball some, and sometimes you have to run it more than normal ,, That second half was one of those times. And Shanny did the oppisite !!!! Game over..... I just hope they don't over react and try to run to much next year.. keep what we do best and make it even better by running at least 25% more!! 

Vandy likes this

3 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

Yeah, Ryan had a great postseason.  And the defense did for most of it.  Proud of the team even if I'm still not over the loss.

Aside from coaching, the loss in the SB really comes down to their DL whipping our OL.  That stops an offense no matter how great.  I didn't think they had the horses for it, but they absolutely bench pressed Matthews and Schraeder repeatedly into Ryan's lap.

They really did. 

Sane for their  OL shutting down our DL 2nd half.....Brady had all day to throw 

Hey fellas, I appreciate every everyone chiming in, but don't lose track of the second part of my post

look at Matt Ryan's post season career averages versus Tom Brady's. Matt Ryan has played much better in the playoffs and mats career then Tom his played in his career.

athell likes this

13 minutes ago, gazoo said:

If any good comes out of it...albeit at our expense...I heard overtime rules will be reviewed and at least have the possibility of being changed.

Of course, if the roles were reversed and we won the toss and scored a td, I probably wouldn't care but yeah...ot rules need to be changed.

Falconsin2012 and gazoo like this

7 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

Yeap ,, we all know that... and it was sad to see that Shanny was to hard headed to see that we had to run the ball more to keep them guessing..  With all the people you mentioned hurt and etc,, That is when the running game can fill the holes and needs for others to actually get a break...  No running , No Freeman,, No Superbowl win !!  We have to run the ball some, and sometimes you have to run it more than normal ,, That second half was one of those times. And Shanny did the oppisite !!!! Game over..... I just hope they don't over react and try to run to much next year.. keep what we do best and make it even better by running at least 25% more!! 

Good post.

10 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Defense played well for most of that game. We would all be raving about how the D won that game if Shanny/Quinn/(and yes) even MR had managed that 4rh qtr better

Very true.  But I'm not talking about just that game.  I'm talking about building the defense Arthur envisioned when he hired Quinn.  We made great strides in the second half of the season; but the defense still had a tendency to break down in the fourth quarter.  Patriots waited us out and went up tempo.  Part coaching (for not slowing the game down or timeout for rest).  We know what this offense is, but we still need this defense fixed.  AND let's not forget how long Ryan and the offense was on the sidelines waiting for our defense to make a stop.

1 hour ago, athell said:

If any good comes out of it...albeit at our expense...I heard overtime rules will be reviewed and at least have the possibility of being changed.

Of course, if the roles were reversed and we won the toss and scored a td, I probably wouldn't care but yeah...ot rules need to be changed.

I think this loss was more Belichick et al outcoaching Quinn et al than Brady outplaying matt. Yes, brady threw for a lot of yards but he also threw 60+ ******* passes including what should have been a game  defining pic-6. 

Can't believe we lost a game when opponent throws over 60 passes.. Very weird game in a lot of aspects like that.

but Brady never quits. Gotta respect and admire him for that.

Edited by Vandy
athell likes this